none
Emails Received in wrong order

Question

• Periodically throughout the day, we will experience two rather annoying issues: Emails sent between internal users on BPOS are received with a very large delay (5-10mins), and emails are arriving out of order. I'm not sure if this is simply expected behaviour with mailboxes that are located possibly in different DBs/servers/clusters/etc. or something we need to report to MS.

For example, User A will send an email at 8:00am to User B & C, User B will "Reply All" at 8:05am. User C will get User B's reply before the original message from User A. This is intermittent, doesn't seem to follow any pattern (e.g. emails from user A are always delayed for User C) and will sometimes only be seen by certain people in a thread.

Anyone else seen this, or is it just something you live with?

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:56 PM

Answers

• Paul,

I realize this does happen in on-premise solutions on occassion, but the delay does seems a bit excessive.  It would definitely not hurt to have the support team help analyze the issue.  If you do not get the assistance you require from the Support teams, please send me an email with your contact info (danielt@insecurityinc.com) and I will see what I can assist you with. 

To help troubleshoot on your own, I would recommend analyzing the Internet headers from the emails you notice a delay in and identify where the delays occur.  If you see a general delay (more than a few seconds) in all connections, it very well could just be server load.  If you notice delay on a specific HUB or point in the route, it may be an early identification of a problem with an individual server.

In any case where you believe your performance is less than desirable, please open a service request.  Even if the issue is not resolved by the service request, both the following survey as well as the SR itself are all tracked so the more people that have any individual issue, the higher liklihood it will be resolved quicker.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Hite Friday, June 03, 2011 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:31 AM

All replies

• Paul,

I have seen this too in our own production environment. I think it is a combination of when the sending persons message gets picked up for delivery and how the cloud scans it. I haven't actually opened a ticket for it as I have also seen this happen with standard on-premise Exchange. Although with on-premise I see it once or twice every few months, in BPOS I see it at least once a month during high volume times. If you are really interesting in exploring it I'd open a ticket with support, otherwise chalk it up to a widely dispersed cloud infrastructure :)

Jorge R. Diaz, PMP, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS

Senior Microsoft Consultant

Planet Technologies, Inc.

Check out My Blog!

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:02 PM
  • We see this same behavior with our on premise Exchange Cluster. As I understand it, messages in the queues are not processed FIFO (First In First out). The queue gets longer during times of peak usage, new messages enter the queue and are processed sooner than messages deeper in the queue. I have seen this behavior magnified when we've had infected clients spewing tons of e-mail. We have not gone live with BPOS but it's my understanding that it's currently built on Exchange 2007. As such I would expect the same behaviour as on premise exchange.

Enjoy!

Tom

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Paul,

I realize this does happen in on-premise solutions on occassion, but the delay does seems a bit excessive.  It would definitely not hurt to have the support team help analyze the issue.  If you do not get the assistance you require from the Support teams, please send me an email with your contact info (danielt@insecurityinc.com) and I will see what I can assist you with. 

To help troubleshoot on your own, I would recommend analyzing the Internet headers from the emails you notice a delay in and identify where the delays occur.  If you see a general delay (more than a few seconds) in all connections, it very well could just be server load.  If you notice delay on a specific HUB or point in the route, it may be an early identification of a problem with an individual server.

In any case where you believe your performance is less than desirable, please open a service request.  Even if the issue is not resolved by the service request, both the following survey as well as the SR itself are all tracked so the more people that have any individual issue, the higher liklihood it will be resolved quicker.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Hite Friday, June 03, 2011 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:31 AM
  • This is happening to us as well and the Microsoft tech rep said this is "normal" but is a huge design flaw. Our business must recieve emails in order for dispatch reasons. I sent 5 test messages from my personal email to my exchange online account that spanned a minute apart but the first message came in last and was 8 minutes late. The tech even pinpointed the issue to a certain hub but refuses to do anything about it. They keep sending me messages to close my support ticket but the prblem isnt fixed, has been going on for 2 weeks. They are giving me the run around saying all email providers are like this but they arent
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Can you send me one of the SR numbers to danielt@insecurityinc.com?  This type of issue needs to be documented, especially if you can confirm the issue is due to a singular HUB server.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:09 PM
  • We are experiencing this also. I have a HUGE support ticket open where I had to submit tons and tons of headers and screenshots before I could convince the support rep that the e-mails were actually out of order (we kept going back and forth about whether a new email should appear "on top" or "on bottom"). Now the status is simply "forwarded to engineers" and I'm waiting indefinitely on a resolution I don't think will be coming.

We have about 15 users on BPOS and I see the same issue in Outlook 2010, 2007, and OWA. Not every user will receive the same e-mail out of order, but we see this issue literally on a daily basis. I get at least one or two messages out of order each day, and I get several more reports from other users of the same thing.

Same as the above posters, it is not just an out-of-order issue but a severe delay at times. A lot of the e-mails are just a minute or two off, but at least once a week we will suddenly have some slow down to 10-15 minute delays. At one point last week we had delays of an hour or more, but I believe that was a seperate issue.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:30 PM
  • After some back and forth with one of the datacenter engineers for BPOS, they applied some patches and we haven't seen the issue since. Thanks for the recommendations!
    Paul Hite - MCSE, MCITP
    Friday, June 03, 2011 4:16 PM