none
iPhone - Cannot connect to server. Password Issue

Question

• Since Jan 1, 2011, my organization has had to reset the passwords on all iPhones (25) a couple of times.  The device and the mail work perfectly for several days then without understanding will stop working, "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER". 

Re-entering the current password on the device does not resolve then issue.  iPhone says "CANNOT VERIFY".  A new password must be set via MS Online Sevice app.  Then the new password in the device works; for a few days.

Secondary issue (maybe related) several weeks ago all the iPhone could not connect to Hosted Exchange unless a PASSCODE LOCK was set on the iPhone. 

we have had no issue with iPhone & Hosted Exchange since the iOS4.2 update.

Is anyone else having issues with iPhones and MS Hosted Exchange Services? 

thanks for the assist...

A Adkins
    Dallas, Texas

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• This issue has now been mitigated.

The solution provided by Ryan did help to alleviate the issue, but, to understand why is the other part.

The issue with ActiveSync is currently being investigated to understand why it has occurred.  As to the solution: changing the first letter only resets the connection to the Load Balancer and causes it to send you to another CAS.  Due to IP affinity (load balancer mechanism) you will always hit the same CAS as long as there is no longer than ~48 hours between when you last connected (or unless you reset the connection to the LB).  This issue hit most of our CAS's and having people reset their connections basically bought them time connecting to another CAS before it started affecting that CAS.  The reason you have no longer received this issue is due to monitoring (checking queue levels and latency) and automation (restarting the application pool) that has been set up in the meantime until the underlying cause is fully identified and a fix implemented.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:25 PM

All replies

• First off, are they Deskless Users? If so, they cannot connect via ActiveSync.

Since they have connected before, I'm going to assume they are fully licensed users.

Verify the username and password work at OWA (Red001.mail.microsoftonline.com)

Check the settings of the iPhone. Since you are in Texas, verify the server URL is EXACTLY as I right below.

Red001.mail.microsoftonline.com

The username & email address must be the same email address you sign into OWA with

Ensure there is no https:// and the R is capital, yes, it does make a difference.

Can you connect over WiFi?

If you are still unable to connect, open a ticket with BPOS Support.

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:17 PM
  • NOT, deskless workers.  all have a PC or MAC.

All are licensed users.

username and password work via OWA and desktop Outlook.

servname has not changed, verified ALL as red001.mail.microsoftonline.com

Username / email address verified.

WiFi or cell makes no difference.

Opened ticket with MS this morning.

As for the server name; have not heard that the ''R' in red001...  must be uppercase.  will try this.

thanks much...

AA

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:30 PM
  • I believe there are outstanding issues with ActiveSync.  We have had several customers complaining of problems this week and last.  Check out this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onlineservicesexchange/thread/26ef8496-7965-4b88-bc37-1ffa1791325b

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:02 PM
  • OK - used Ryan206 advice and changed the first character of the server name to uppercase,  Red001.mail.microsoftonline.com AND retyped the current password. 

This worked.  If this is a long term solution or not will be determined.

other threads suggested capitalizing the first letter of the username, i.e.; Billgates@microsoft.com.  this however causes the iPhone mailbox to wipe and re-sync.

Ryan206 - hopes this works, Thanks for the assist.  I will mention you in my memoirs

AA

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:15 PM
  • This issue has now been mitigated.

The solution provided by Ryan did help to alleviate the issue, but, to understand why is the other part.

The issue with ActiveSync is currently being investigated to understand why it has occurred.  As to the solution: changing the first letter only resets the connection to the Load Balancer and causes it to send you to another CAS.  Due to IP affinity (load balancer mechanism) you will always hit the same CAS as long as there is no longer than ~48 hours between when you last connected (or unless you reset the connection to the LB).  This issue hit most of our CAS's and having people reset their connections basically bought them time connecting to another CAS before it started affecting that CAS.  The reason you have no longer received this issue is due to monitoring (checking queue levels and latency) and automation (restarting the application pool) that has been set up in the meantime until the underlying cause is fully identified and a fix implemented.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:25 PM