none
why authenticate for documents in site assests folder

Question

• A user embedded links to some word documents onto a page using a Content Editor Web Part.  This stores the documents in a deeply nested library under Site Assets. The problem is that people are having to authenticate to open these documents. I double checked the permissions on this library and they are being inherited.  These people have Contribute rights so there shouldn't be any authenticate required, correct? How can I solve this? Users are not required to authenticate on other libraries on the site.

Further testing reveals that the users can open the document directly from the library it is housed in, just not via the link on the page.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:42 PM

All replies

• Try adding the site to the users' "Trusted Sites" list.  That has helped a little bit here, but we still run into it now and again.  It seems that, when you try to open a document from SP with IE, it tries to obtain edit permission, which results in the login prompt.

For us, we are trying to give anonymous users access to just view the documents, and to the login prompt is even more confusing for them (clicking "cancel" works, but that's hardly intuitive).  We wound up converting everything to PDF!

• Edited by Josh Loomis Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:25 PM spelling
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:24 PM
  • The site is in users' trusted sites. Everyone in this Teamsite has Contribute rights so everyone does have edit rights.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:27 PM
  • I don't know if it makes a difference, but I thought perhaps I should mention it.  Our site is on an Office 365 account (in the cloud).

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:28 PM
  • I believe I have figured out what the technical issue is, but not how to get around it from an end user's perspective.  When a document is opened from a document library, the Word Web App is launched.  In this instance authentication is done from within the browser. Since the user is already authenticated when accessing the site, further authentication is not required.  However, when a link to a document is clicked on from content displayed in a CEWP, an instance of Word is launched.  Since authentication can no longer happen through the browser, authentication is required to open the document.

Does anyone know if I'm on track with this assessment and if there is any way around it?

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:42 PM
  • is bumping up allowed?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:26 PM