Change from BPOS autodiscover to O365 autodiscover already at 30 day notice?

質問

• Hi,

I am the administrator for our company's Exchange Online service (BPOS). Just received our 30 day notification for transition on or after 2012-01-01.

The instructions tell me that I should change our autodiscover CNAME records in the DNS server already now. I suspect that this will interfer with free/busy and GAL of our current service (BPOS) as long as the new autodiscover server handles this. However, I understand that the CNAMEs must be changed to allow for automatic reconfiguration of our Outlook clients.

I was hoping that the community could help me to answer:

1. What happens if I change the CNAME for autodiscover already today, maybe months before our actual transition. Will this break free/busy, and other services from BPOS?

2. To those of you who are already transitioned, or have experience from the process: When did you change the CNAME in relation to the transition?

Today our autodiscover CNAMEs to autodiscoverredirect-red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com. We have a simple Exchange Online setup, approximately 50 users, 5 different domain names. No co-existence or similar complex setups.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

With best regards,

Tobias

2011年12月5日 8:29

回答

• 回答としてマーク Tosse SE 2011年12月9日 13:43
    • 編集済み Ryanph [MSFT] 2012年5月17日 17:54
    2011年12月6日 0:23
  • I spoke on the phone with transition support today and their reply is that I should have multiple CNAMEs for the same host in the DNS server. They say that the DNS server and the Outlook client would then have some sort of negotiation on what record to use. This sounds more than strange to me. According to me it's impossible to have multiple CNAMEs for the same host. I told them that, but they insisted that thousands of BPOS customers have succeeded to add multiple CNAMEs for autodiscover.

I'm going with Ryan's advice.

Good luck to you all!

2011年12月9日 13:43

すべての返信

• 編集済み Ryanph [MSFT] 2012年5月17日 17:54
    2011年12月6日 0:23
  • Thanks for your reply Ryan!

What you explain is even worse than what I suspected could happen. According to your explanation, changing the autodiscover record already now would essentially kill all Outlook functionality for our company? My worst fear was that it would break free/busy and out of office.

I actually asked the transition support (through MOAC) the same question earlier and they replied that I should make the DNS changes today, but not change the records I already have - I'm not sure how they expect me to change the autodiscover host without changing it. Since their reply gave me the impression that they didn't have much clue about DNS I decided to also ask here.

I must say that the instructions that Microsoft is sending out to BPOS admins are close to scandalous, given that they may break important functionality.

I have asked the transition support to once again verify that I really should do the changes today and also to confirm that this will not break any existing BPOS functionality - I'm very curious to see if they once again tell me that I should change already now.

Thanks again, I will definitely wait until Saturday on the transition weekend then.

Tobias

2011年12月6日 14:37
  • I spoke on the phone with transition support today and their reply is that I should have multiple CNAMEs for the same host in the DNS server. They say that the DNS server and the Outlook client would then have some sort of negotiation on what record to use. This sounds more than strange to me. According to me it's impossible to have multiple CNAMEs for the same host. I told them that, but they insisted that thousands of BPOS customers have succeeded to add multiple CNAMEs for autodiscover.

I'm going with Ryan's advice.

Good luck to you all!

2011年12月9日 13:43