none
Outlook 2010 Autocomplete not working

Frage

• Here is my current issue:

I have 2 users set up on brand new Windows 7 machines, with brand new Office 2010 installs. When they use Outlook 2010, and start typing a previously used email address in the TO: field -- it does not complete the previously used email as a suggestion.

I've searched through multiple support forums to no avail. The only thing I've found close to a solution was the suggestion that the cache might have been corrupted -- but that solution did not work. Plus, it's identical on both new machines -- which would be rare if they both had the exact same hidden file corrupted at the exact same time. From all of the postings I've seen asking the same question, it appears to either be some flaw in the program or some minutia alluding us with regards to setup.

Any help would be appreciated. [BTW -- it is NOT an exchange issue, as all accounts are IMAP through Google Apps.]

Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011 18:40

Alle Antworten

• Did you replace XP machines with windows 7 machines?

Did you copy the n2k files and import them in the profile?

If you did and the autocomplete is still not working look here> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980542

Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011 21:39
  • thank you for replying, but as i stated above -- these are *new* windows 7 machines with *new* office 2010 installs.

these are new users on new machines with newly installed programs, and a feature of outlook 2010 which is turned on is not functioning on either machine.

thanks.

Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011 22:17
  • I'm having the exact same problem. New PC, Outlook not auto-completing, plus, it crashes on me at least once a day.
    Montag, 16. Mai 2011 22:22
  • I have a similar issue where the user is on Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. When he closes Outlook and comes back in the auto complete doesn't seem to remember any of the addresses that were typed before closing Outlook. It's almost like it is a brand new auto complete file.

I can't find a setting where it says empty the auto complete file upon existing Outlook....

Any more on this?

Dienstag, 19. Juli 2011 21:32
  • The NK2 file doesn't exists for Outlook 2010.

You should try to repair Office 2010, and, if you still have this problem, you should create a new profile and see if it happens again.

@BGM2: There is no such option in Outlook 2010.

Later edit: did you tried to empty the autocomplete list ? Try this, restart Outlook and then start typing mail addresses and then test the autocomplete function.
    Dienstag, 19. Juli 2011 21:37
  • I did try the new Outlook profile and got the same results. Also clicked on the clear auto complete button and same results. I think this was working when the user was using XP and Outlook 2010, seems to be since he got his Windows 7 system. I see others had similar issues above so there must be some history here...

We didn't try an office repair. Anything in SP1 regarding this?

Dienstag, 19. Juli 2011 22:08
  • What version of Outlook do you use ?

In SP1 log i didn't find anything related to autocomplete fixes. :(

I am using Outlook 2010 PRO since beta version and i didn't have any problems with the autocomplete.

Try the repair option and the see if that problem still persists.

Dienstag, 19. Juli 2011 22:15
  • Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010

My gut is telling me that a repair won't fix it, but we can try.

Dienstag, 19. Juli 2011 23:43
  • It is version number: 14.0.4763.1000 ??? This seems to be the latest one.
    Mittwoch, 20. Juli 2011 05:59
  • http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/outlook-2010-autocomplete-not-working/3a2e9a0f-0a39-4aaf-9bc7-a9f362307736

Here is an intersting thread. Apparently this has been a common issues and amazingly a scanpst has helped. I guess we will give that a shot too. it would be good to here an official Microsoft explanation on this...

Mittwoch, 20. Juli 2011 16:37
  • Hi Techmuse,

the people that are being emailed, are they contacts or is it a matter or replying to the messages?  Does it ever autocomplete the names?  For example does it stop working after closing outlook? 

Since this is a new build/computer... the name cache will have to build over time, it simply cant check the TO: field of older messages and check against them.

Also, if they are in the contacts of outlook, you can do a quick name cache update by adding all your contacts into the TO field and do a "Check Name" them simply remove them and delete the message, this puts everyone back in the autocomplete cache.

N2K file doesnt exist, but Suggested Contacts does and this would be where most of the names should be pulled from when checking the names.  Have a look at your Suggested Contacts, and see if you have anyone in there. 

Cheers,
    -ivanmor

Mittwoch, 20. Juli 2011 17:28
  • Just to follow up on this one a bit, the issue seemed to resolve itself a bit. The only change that I'm aware of is the user did recently just install SP1 for Office 2010. I'm going to guess maybe that fixed the issue.
    Dienstag, 16. August 2011 22:55
  • Similar problem here with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7.  Autocomplete has worked for two years and then suddenly stopped.  It will work within an Outlook session but if Outlook is closed and then restarted the cache is empty.  A reinstall of Office by repair company had it working for about two weeks.  I wonder if there is a thrid party addin that corrupts the autocomplete file?
    Dienstag, 27. November 2012 22:27
  • We are experiencing the same issue. Did you ever find a resolution for Outlook crashing?
    Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2013 19:30