none
Why is an MSCOMM control in my Excel 2007 application no longer supported on a different computer

Frage

• AIM OF MY PROJECT:

I am developing a macro based Excel 2007 "project" (.xlsm) as a front end to an active machine.

I wish to send a string of data on a PC's hyperterminal and display it over Excel sheet.

WHAT I DID:

I added a "Microsoft Communications Control V6" Active X Control to my Excel Sheet , which in turn allowed me to read input from my machine attached to the COM1 serial port.

THE NATURE OF MY PROBLEM

That all worked OK, but now that I am returning to do final testing, it seems that the control is not working on my customer's PC.

I get a error whenever I try to Run the Macro (error # 438, "Object doesn't support this object or method").

When I look at the form in "design mode", the control appears as a plain white box, as opposed to the "telephone icon" that used to appear previously on my PC.

When I try to add a new MSCOMM control to the form on customer's PC, I am told that my project "doesn't support this ActiveX control".

In my VBA Editor's "Tools - References" list, the "Microsoft Comm Control 6.0" box is ticked.

MY FAILURE IN DEBUGGING THE PROBLEM

Secondly,

The development PC in which I had written the code has "Visual Studio 2008" installed in it.

Whereas the customer PC didn't have any Visual Studio installed.

So I initially thought that I may be getting on to some solution to this problem, but when I tried Running the Macro on a computer installed with Excel 2007 + Visual Studio 2008 + active COM1 port (saw the data on hyperterminal), the macro returned the error #438 again.

MY DILEMMA

I have searched many forums and many posts gave unique solutions. Most of the solutions involved in editing the registry files, which I a strictly against. Consequently no one could give a crystal clear clarity on the required setup that I may need to solve this problem.

MY REQUEST

Can anyone explain why this control appears to have become disabled and how I can make it active again on my customer's PC (with no Visual Studio installed in it)?

Samstag, 19. Januar 2013 06:49

Alle Antworten

• Try using admin rights (right button) to install control in your system using:

'in x86 (32bit system) 
    %systemroot%\system32\regsvr32 MSCOMCTL.OCX

'in x64 (64bit system)
    %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 MSCOMCTL.OCX

Sometimes in upg Windows security CC is uninstall automatically.

This commend you can write in cmd.exe

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Samstag, 19. Januar 2013 10:28
  • THANKS A TON FOR AN EARLY REPLY...........

I TRIED THE ABOVE METHOD ON MY OTHER PC......THIS TIME THE SYSTEM RETURNED "Compile Error - Can't find source or library"..........

BUT STILL THE PROBLEM PERSISTS.

ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL

Samstag, 19. Januar 2013 18:24
  • Find files like mscomctl.ocx - this is a CC control #1.

2Nd is a mscomct2.ocx, and as I telling you win upg sometimes unregister that libraries.

Would you show us control you writing about: [the control appears as a plain white box, as opposed to the "telephone icon"]

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Samstag, 19. Januar 2013 23:18
  • As per your earlier reply to my query, i had successfully registered mscomctl.ocx and mscomct2.ocx files on my costumer's PC

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/223289

I also registered the .ocx files and had my macro run on my development PC

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/223288

i am unable send you the images directly over this reply.["Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account."]

as you can see, the telephone image appears on my development PC, and there is none on my customers PC. In few of other PCs the image is a white coloured box with cross marked at the center of it, which clearly signifies that these PCs do not support Microsoft Communications Control V6 on excel sheet.

IF YOU CAN GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, I CAN SEND YOU THE MACRO ENABLED EXCEL SHEET WHICH I AM WORKING ON.

Montag, 21. Januar 2013 04:52
  • Hi,

You can share the workbook on https://skydrive.live.com/ (remove the sensitive information)

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Dienstag, 22. Januar 2013 08:36
  • I HAVE SHARED THE WORKBOOK WHICH YOU CAN DOWNLOAD .........

LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS ON YOUR COMPUTER..........

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E3EE8873C6F19F92!107&authkey=!APucN21r3a96DRI

Dienstag, 22. Januar 2013 09:23
  • http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/add-or-register-an-activex-control-HP010236683.aspx#BM1

In above link, the second paragraph states the following:

Important   Not all ActiveX controls can be used directly on worksheets; some can be used only on Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) UserForms. When you work with these controls, Excel displays the message Cannot insert object if you try to add them to a worksheet.

So why did Microsoft Communication Control V6 got inserted on my PC on the first place? and why it doesn't on others PC?

Dienstag, 22. Januar 2013 13:11
  • Hi,

Check to see whether the system is same between yours' and the users'.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2013 09:21
  • THE USER (CUSTOMER) PC DOES NOT HAVE VISUAL STUDIO 2008 INSTALLED IN IT....

MY DEVELOPMENT PC HAS VISUAL STUDIO 2008 INSTALLED IN IT....

I  INSTALLED VISUAL STUDIO 2008 IN ANOTHER PC, BUT THE PROBLEM STILL PREVAILS IN THAT PC TOO..

REST OF THE SYSTEM  CONFIGURATION IN ALL THREE COMPUTERS IS THE SAME....(WINDOWS XP SP3 + EXCEL 2007 + SUCCESSFULLY REGISTERED MSCOMM32.OCX FILES IN SYTEM32 FOLDER)......

Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2013 11:46