none
Outlook 2010 'Check spelling as you type' grayed out

Frage

• Hi,

As above really. I've searched extensively for a solution, and many point out that this feature cannot be used in Outlook 2003/2007 when Outlook is installed separately from Word...but I can't find any references to Outlook 2010 - is it the same?

I'm using Office 2010 trial, and a bought Outlook 2010. There must be a way surely? Outook comes with its own spell checker right? So I don't quite see the relevance of MS Word to all this....

Any suggestions welcome...

Thanks,

Tom

Mittwoch, 1. September 2010 15:24

Antworten

• Yes, the issue is the same for all versions of Outlook, and yes, Outlook has its own built-in spell checker. However, that built-in spell checker does not include the "check spelling as you type" feature. If you need that feature, then you need to have Outlook and Word installed from the same suite. 
    • Als Antwort markiert Sally Tang Mittwoch, 8. September 2010 01:31
    Donnerstag, 2. September 2010 11:23

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

Based on you description for this issue, I suggest you install the full Office Suite(Office 2010 Home &Business).

Check whether the Check spelling works fine or not.

If not,

Are the Office/Outlook 2010 proofing tools installed? Installation

options -> Office shared features....

Try creating a new Outlook profile using the steps mentioned in the article below and check if it works:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

If new profile works fine, open your old Outlook data file by doing the following.

Open Outlook in new profile->click File->open->Outlook data file->select Outlook.pst and click Open

Regards,

Harry Yuan

Donnerstag, 2. September 2010 09:43
  • Yes, the issue is the same for all versions of Outlook, and yes, Outlook has its own built-in spell checker. However, that built-in spell checker does not include the "check spelling as you type" feature. If you need that feature, then you need to have Outlook and Word installed from the same suite. 
    • Als Antwort markiert Sally Tang Mittwoch, 8. September 2010 01:31
    Donnerstag, 2. September 2010 11:23
  • I purchased Office Home & Student 2010 before realizing it didn't have Outlook.  So I purchased the stand alone version of Outlook 2010.  So is Microsoft telling me I can't get spell check as you type unless I shell out hundreds of $$ for the full suite?  Also, my Office suite is the "click to run" version.
    Freitag, 21. Januar 2011 21:27
  • if you are using word 2007 with outlook 2010 and are using the default install paths...

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ and copy the Winword.exe file.
    Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ and paste the Winword.exe file into this folder.
    Restart Outlook 2010.  It should work now.

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen mkolber Montag, 21. Januar 2013 13:01
    Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2013 19:29
  • if you are using word 2007 with outlook 2010 and are using the default install paths...

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ and copy the Winword.exe file.
    Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ and paste the Winword.exe file into this folder.

Brilliant! Works perfectly. Don't forget, you need to do the copy/paste in Administrator mode.
    Montag, 21. Januar 2013 13:01
  • Fantastic! Works if you have Office 2013 installed alongside Outlook 2010. Just copy winword.exe from 

Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15

to

Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013 23:02
  • Thank you for that answer. I've battled with that one until I found this post. I'm definitely posting about it on my blog as well as linking it to this thread.
    Mittwoch, 3. Juli 2013 08:09
  • Fantastic! Works if you have Office 2013 installed alongside Outlook 2010. Just copy winword.exe from 

Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15

to

Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

I have just tried it and it works well now. Thank you
    Mittwoch, 3. Juli 2013 08:10
  • I just tried this with no luck.  Running Outlook 2010 with Office 2013.  I had to copy winword.exe from

Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15

to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Then rebooted Outlook.  Still grayed out.  Any ideas?

Donnerstag, 11. Juli 2013 20:47
  • UPDATE: I figured this out.

Need to copy WINWORD.EXE from

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
    Dienstag, 16. Juli 2013 12:53
  • I did the exact opposite because I didn't have winword in my Office 12 folder. 
    Dienstag, 24. September 2013 03:17

Montag, 30. September 2013 10:03
  • Brilliant...Brilliant..Brilliant..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Shakkeer

Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2013 10:46
  • Good find by kevintm, but copying exe's is not a great idea. Here is a better way to do it in Vista and beyond:

Start a cmd using administrator mode.
    cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
    mklink WINWORD.EXE "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE"

(or change to the directories used on your system for other versions or eliminate " (x86)" if you are on a 32-bit system.

That got spell checking working for me. Thankfully, Windows finally started native support of symbolic links a few years ago.

Thanks to kevintm.  

Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 18:54

"Check spelling as you type" is a basic feature of sofware such as mail clients and the fact that Outlook cannot do it by itself is a joke. It means that Microsoft:

1. does not respect their customers by forcing them to buy additional software they don't actually need, and/or
    2. design their software poorly enough that sharing of basic features between individual programs is not done correctly. It's ridiculous that You need an entire other program, this should be a common shared component.

I'm impressed how MS is doing it's business.

Dienstag, 24. Dezember 2013 09:39