none
Replicate \non_ipm_subtree\schedule+ free busy Public Folder in Exchange 2010

Question

• Our organization uses Exchange 2010.  We currently have 2 Exchange Mailbox servers and 2 CAS servers.  We have a few users on Google Apps and those users can see free busy information for all Exchange users but Exchange users cannot see free busy information for Google Apps users.  I was told by Google that we need to replicate the \non_ipm_subtree\schedule+ free busy Public Folder between our 2 Exchange Mailbox servers.  I have created a Public Folder on the 2nd Exchange server, called Public Folder Database ex2 (not sure if I needed to do this), to replicate to but when I attempt to do it, I receive this error:

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    The following error(s) occurred while saving changes:

Set-PublicFolder
    Failed
    Error:
    Modification of the '\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY' folder isn't allowed.

OK

When I run the Get-Public Folder command seen below, it looks like the PF is replicating but only to itself.  How can I get it to replicate to the 2nd Exchange server?  When I view the PFs on the 2nd Exchange server, I see \non_ipm_subtree\schedule+ free busy PF but it doesn't have the 2 subfolders as seen on the 1st Exchange server.

Exchange server #1:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-PublicFolder -server "buff-exch1" -Identity "\non_ipm_subtree\schedule+ free busy" -recurse
     | fl identity, replicas

Identity : \NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY
    Replicas : {}

Identity : \NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY\EX:/o=Kanoodle Amherst/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
    Replicas : {Public Folder Database}

Identity : \NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY\EX:/o=Kanoodle Amherst/ou=First Administrative Group
    Replicas : {Public Folder Database}

Exchange server #2:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-PublicFolder -server "buff-exch2" -Identity "\non_ipm_subtree\schedule+ free busy" -recurse
     | fl identity, replicas

Identity : \NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY
    Replicas : {}

Can someone please help?  Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Friday, June 08, 2012 3:37 PM

Answers

• Simon,

Turns out it wasn't on the Google Apps side.  Since I couldn't replicate the PF Schedule+ Free Busy to our other mailbox server, I shut down the 2nd mailbox server.  After restarting IIS on both CAS boxes, viewing free busy information from the Administrator account (Exchange) to a Google Apps user worked.  When I tried to view that information from my Exchange account, it would not work.  After adding the ExchangeLegacyInterop permission to my AD account, once it replicated through the servers, I was able to view the free busy information of all the Google Apps users.  

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Mark

Mark Schlesinger Pulse360, Inc. Systems Administrator

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can try replicating the folder via EMC->Tools->Public Folder Management Console.

By the way, in Exchange 2010, users on Outlook 2007 and 2010 never retrieve the free/busy info via public folders, they use autodiscover and EWS.

Thanks,

Simon

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Simon, 

Thank you for your response.  I have tried replicating the PF via EMC -> Tools -> Public Folder Management Console, the error from above is what I get when I try to replicate:

Microsoft Exchange Error
    The following error(s) occurred while saving changes:

Set-PublicFolder
    Failed
    Error:
    Modification of the '\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY' folder isn't allowed.

The thing I do not understand is, Google Apps users are able to see the free/busy information of Exchange Users.  When Exchange users try to see Google Apps user's free/busy information, they cannot.  Wouldn't this be an issue with something in Google Apps?  When we convert a user to Google Apps, email address for the Google Apps is removed from Exchange.  I then need to create a mail enabled external contact pointing to an alias domain in Google Apps.  

When I go into Exchange's OWA and try to add a calendar entry and view the free/busy information of the alias Google Apps domain user (the mail enabled external contact), I receive this error:  No Information (Error code: -2146233088)

When I go into Exchange's OWA and try to add a calendar entry and view the free/busy information of the primary Google Apps domain user (the one that was removed from Exchange), I receive this error:  No Information (Error code: -5009)

The big problem here is, the documentation provided by Google is for Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007.  Since PF's are not used in Exchange 2010, there has to be a different way of making this work.  Here is the documentation if you are interested.

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1330365

Thank you again for any assistance you can provide.

Mark

Monday, June 11, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hello,

I do agree with you that the issue should be related the Google Apps since the Google users can see the F/B info in your org.

Thanks,

Simon

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Simon,

Turns out it wasn't on the Google Apps side.  Since I couldn't replicate the PF Schedule+ Free Busy to our other mailbox server, I shut down the 2nd mailbox server.  After restarting IIS on both CAS boxes, viewing free busy information from the Administrator account (Exchange) to a Google Apps user worked.  When I tried to view that information from my Exchange account, it would not work.  After adding the ExchangeLegacyInterop permission to my AD account, once it replicated through the servers, I was able to view the free busy information of all the Google Apps users.  

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Mark

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:27 PM
  • I am having the same issue and tried adding my users to the ExchangeLegacyInterop group but it didn't work.  My environment is a Google Apps domain and a single Exchange 2010 server environment where I want to have free busy information shared between my Google Apps users and my Exchange users.  I am seeing 401 errors so I know its trying to write to the public folder database.

Here is the google apps article I followed:
    http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1330365

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:57 PM