none
Outlook 2010 + Hotmail Connector: Autosync?

Question

• There is something I want to know.

I've read that when using the Outlook Connector in Office 2007 and up, it is no longer needed to set up a send and receive shedule like in Outlook 2003, because it is doing its sync itself.

I was using Outlook 2007 some years und actually I am using Outlook 2010. But it never synced without this send and receive shedule for me.

What I am doing wrong?

Second question: When there will be a version of it that supports SSL?

Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check the property of 'Automatic Send and receive' and make sure that it is configured correctly.

What is the value of automatic schedule of Send/Receive ?

Tools----Option-----Mail Setup

Regards, Pushkal MishrA
    Monday, May 16, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Yes, i know that way. But as you can read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939894

This way is for Outlook 2003 and should not be needed for Outlook 2007 and later.

Quote:

Outlook Connector does not synchronize unless I click Send/Receive in Outlook 2003. Is that expected?

Yes. This behavior is expected. Outlook 2003 does not send and receive e-mail messages automatically like Outlook 2007 does.

If you use Outlook 2003, click Send/Receive in order to force synchronization. Or, schedule an automatic send-and-receive operation. To schedule an automatic send-and-receive operation, point to Send/Receive on the Toolsmenu, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.

All this stuff is for Outlook 2003 only. But automatically send and receive without this sheduler never worked for me. Not in 2007 and not in 2010. But why?

• Edited by KarstenSc Monday, May 16, 2011 4:46 PM Highlight Quote
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hi Karsten,

The Outlook Connector will make the Send/receive of your Live Mail accounts works like your other Outlook accounts. But even the other Outlook accounts will also need to be schedule the automatic send-and-receive operation.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Yes. I know that I have to do this.

But the big question is, what exactly the sentence "Outlook 2003 does not send and receive e-mail messages automatically like Outlook 2007 does." in the KB939894 article want to tell me.

I have used Outlook 2003 for some years, than 2007 and now 2010. 

There must be a reason, that this article says that manually send and receive or sheduled send and receive has to be setup in Outlook 2003 because "Outlook 2003 does not send and receive e-mail messages automatically like Outlook 2007 does.".

Actually I don't see the difference between 2003 and 2007 that the article want to tell me.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Well, if you have to ask, then I could only say that the automatic send-and-receive operation is not scheduled in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2007/2010, it is scheduled by default.

I mean the state of the check box in front of Schedule an automatic send/receive every ##minutes is the difference.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:59 AM
  • automatic send-and-receive operation is not scheduled in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2007/2010, it is scheduled by default.

Thanks. Lol. What a feature. I hoped it would be more Exchange like.

The second question is still open: Is there any work on SSL support for the Connector?

Friday, May 20, 2011 3:53 PM
  • This is scheduled for a later release of the Outlook Connector. No public eta has been set for that yet.
    See; http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2011/05/12/new-outlook-hotmail-connector-released.aspx

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Thanks for the answers.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:06 PM