none
excel file became to SHS extension file

Question

• Hi:

my user encounter a problem, some of her excel files became to .shs extension files. for example, before it's an excel file named test.xslx , now the file name is became to scrap-test.shs , if i just double click on this SHS file, will got this error message: file format is not valid. if i rename the file from scrap-test.shs to scrap-test.xlsx or test.xlsx will get the error message "excel cannot open the file, because the file format or extension is not valid. verify that the file has not been corrupted and the that the file extension matches the format of the file", please kindly help me on this, thanks!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:25 AM

Answers

• Software developers often add new features with each new release of their
    product.  Less often, they remove features.

The scrap stuff was used by a very limited number of users.  MS decided that it
    didn't make sense to keep supporting it.  So they removed it.  (I think in
    xl2007, but not positive.)

Jacky, GaoBo wrote:

i'm using MS office2010, as i tested when i rename the file from .shs to .xls and it could be opened on XP machine, but on WIN7 machine, it's still not able to be opend. how come it's like this? whey could be open by XP but not by WIN7

--

Dave Peterson

Friday, October 21, 2011 12:17 PM

All replies

• One (mostly?) unused feature of windows is the ability to make the scraps.

You can:
    Open excel
    Arrange windows so that you can see the desktop and the excel worksheet at the
    same time
    Select a range
    Drag it to the desktop

This creates this scrap

You can do the same thing in reverse to see the scrap.
    Open excel
    Arrange windows so you can see the scrap icon and the worksheet (a new unused
    worksheet for verifying???)
    Drag the scrap into that sheet

Then you can copy it to any worksheet you want.

Jacky, GaoBo wrote:

Hi:

my user encounter a problem, some of her excel files became to .shs extension files. for example, before it's an excel file named test.xslx , now the file name is became to scrap-test.shs , if i just double click on this SHS file, will got this error message: file format is not valid. if i rename the file from scrap-test.shs to scrap-test.xlsx or test.xlsx will get the error message "excel cannot open the file, because the file format or extension is not valid. verify that the file has not been corrupted and the that the file extension matches the format of the file", please kindly help me on this, thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I've tryed to select some rows in Excel and drag to the desktop, nothing happened, no scrap was created.

When I move out of the Excel Window I was unable to move the selection outside the excel window. (I've also tryed copy and paste and it didn't work).

If you could clarify this situation it would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Renatoabc

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:37 PM
  • My bet is that you're using a newer version of excel than the person with the trouble.  Try doing it using their pc.

(Are you using xl2007 while they're using xl2003???  Just a guess.)

Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:30 PM
  • i'm using MS office2010, as i tested when i rename the file from .shs to .xls and it could be opened on XP machine, but on WIN7 machine, it's still not able to be opend. how come it's like this? whey could be open by XP but not by WIN7
    Friday, October 21, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Software developers often add new features with each new release of their
    product.  Less often, they remove features.

The scrap stuff was used by a very limited number of users.  MS decided that it
    didn't make sense to keep supporting it.  So they removed it.  (I think in
    xl2007, but not positive.)

Jacky, GaoBo wrote:

i'm using MS office2010, as i tested when i rename the file from .shs to .xls and it could be opened on XP machine, but on WIN7 machine, it's still not able to be opend. how come it's like this? whey could be open by XP but not by WIN7

--

Dave Peterson

Friday, October 21, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Try opening the .shs file from an xp machine, and preferably with an older version of excel, and resave the file. File>saveas>filename. Now try to open the newly saved file in Win7 with Excel 2010.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 5:44 PM