none
Excel 2007: UNC links root path changed to different name.

Question

• As per a common issue, we have Excel spreadsheets that have links that are changing.

We just migrated from SBS 2008 to SBS 2011 and everything was working fine until I finalized the migration a couple of weekends ago.  We have multiple mapped drives that we use and there are excel spreadsheets that are being linked across these shares.

\\Server\Company Shared\Macro-Enabled\spreadsheet1.xlsx

\\Server\Customers\Folder1\Sub-folder\spreadsheet2.xlsx

Spreadsheet1 has links that point to spreadsheet2 via UNC paths.  Since everything has stopped working, after Excel opens we get the error that the links are broken.  When going to update the links, what we find is that the links change to the following:

\\Server\Company Shared\Folder1\Sub-folder\spreadsheet2.xlsx

-instead of-

\\Server\Customers\Folder1\Sub-folder\spreadsheet2.xlsx

The share name of the primary spreadsheets (spreadsheet1) location replaces the share name of the spreadsheet being linked to in the UNC path.

I have tried searching for this error as it relates to us but most of the problems I am finding don't seem to be the exact one that we are having.  Specifically with the spreadsheets being on two separate mapped drives and all UNC paths being used, with the Share names themselves being the only thing that changes.  

I find it odd that this issue didn't arise until after we migrated from one server to another.  I can't think of what would cause it to stop working since the only thing that was changed for anything was the server name in the paths.  We made sure that all the paths included the correct server name and updated them accordingly.

• Edited by JGasp Monday, June 18, 2012 8:36 PM Title too vague
    Monday, June 18, 2012 1:53 PM

Answers

• After researching a bit more and a little testing we found that KB2598161 was the culprit behind this issue.  We uninstalled it from the computer and are no longer experiencing this issue after updating the links.  On a PC with Office 2010 I uninstalled KB2597166 to correct the issue.
    • Marked as answer by JGasp Friday, June 29, 2012 2:57 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check whether you have install the Security Update MS11-072. If you installed, please refer to the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/2625406

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Have checked and verified that the above update is not installed on the computer in question.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

Also check whether you have installed update KB2597166. If you have installed, please Silent Uninstall:
    msiexec /I {90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} MSIPATCHREMOVE={B76D8C6D-1F13-42A7-9931-D7504CB89D6D} /qn

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Hello,

Just checked and it's a no go on that update.  It isn't installed fortunately/un-fortunately.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:41 PM
  • After researching a bit more and a little testing we found that KB2598161 was the culprit behind this issue.  We uninstalled it from the computer and are no longer experiencing this issue after updating the links.  On a PC with Office 2010 I uninstalled KB2597166 to correct the issue.
    • Marked as answer by JGasp Friday, June 29, 2012 2:57 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 2:57 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue, and also haven't found an exact match to my problem.  My scenario is that we have a corporate office where I'm located and connected to that network, and we have satellite facilities that have their own servers locally.  I have a spreadsheet on a satellite server that has links to other workbooks on that server like so:

\\satelliteserver\managementfolder\monthly\parentfile.xlsx (Excel 2007)

it has links to files in this folder:

\\satelliteserver\managementfolder\childfile.xlsx

When I access it on my computer from the corporate office by going to the direct server path, the spreadsheet links all work correctly.  When the manager at the satellite office accesses the file the same way the links change to:

\\satelliteserver\childfile.xlsx

For the life of me I can't figure out why it keeps dropping the \managementfolder\ part of the path.  Any thoughts as to how this could be happening?  Do I need to implement the same fix suggested in this article?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:46 PM