none
Office 2010 Licensing options

Question

• Hello, My organization needs to upgrade our Office versions (we are primarily 2000 and 2003 right now) in the near future.  Right now we are all open license.  When looking at pricing though, I see that just buying a boxed version of Home and Business is $100-$150 less expensive than buying an open license.  I was under the impression that volume licensing was LESS expensive than buying the boxed product.  Looking at the version info it looks like the open license standard has Publisher where the home and business does not, but we don't use publisher so that makes no difference to us.

Am I missing something?  Is there a reason we should spend the extra for the open license?  We are upgrading around 100 PC's so that savings is a big number.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Chris,

You can watch this video to get better understand about the benefit of Open License:

Watch the Open programs comparison video (WMV 3:30 minutes)

BTW, Office Standard 2010 also include Office Web Apps and other server integration features.

Compare Volume Licensing Office Standard 2010 with Office Home and Business 2010.

For more information, especially for price information, about Microsoft Volume Licensing, or to order or renew software licenses, please contact your preferred Microsoft Reseller.

• In the United States, call (800) 426-9400, or find an authorized reseller.

• In Canada, call the Microsoft Resource Centre at (877) 568-2495.

For information about Volume Licensing offerings available in your area, find the Microsoft Volume Licensing Web site for your country/region. 

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:20 AM
  • So essentially the extra $100-$150 extra for open license gets you the web apps, some server integration, and 2 years of software assurance, am I understanding that correctly?  And if those aren't necessary for us we are better off just getting the boxed product?
    Monday, December 12, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I am not that confident to answer your question, cause I have no idea about the actual price for Open License. And like you, I am also under the impression that the volume licensed version would offer you a more advantaged price than the boxed version.

My suggestion is to confirm the price information with the Microsoft Reseller, and if the price is actually even expensive than the boxed version, then the answer is YES, it's better for you to get the boxed product.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:27 AM