none
OUTLOOK mail has taken over my Primary Hotmail and I cannot access it from anywhere else but outlook

Question

hello everyone!

I am a doctor and have always used a specific hotmail account for my patients folders.

after receiving a link asking me to check out the new 'Outlook.Com' email, (which I so did),

I now find that I cannot access my original hotmail account in any way, I keep on getting the following meessage;

THIS ACCOUNT DOES NOT EXIST PLEASE SIGN IN WITH ANOTHER ACCOUNT

so I had to make up another email account but for <outlook.com>

but ... I still cannot receive or send messages via my original hotmail account.

I have tried for almost 8 continuous hours to try solve this issue, but not being so technically minded

I have failed miserably.

I can access my primary account ONLY through outlook but I cannot login from anywhere else: I would like this option back and available.

this hotmail account is crucial and I need to revert back to it immediately for my patients security.

even my android smartphone has stopped sending email from hotmail as this same message appears on the 'phone

could some kind person reading this please help me to restore my primary email address at hotmail ..?

thanking you for your kind help and support

MedicineWoman (UK based)

Dr. Mariangela Stanton-Linder

Monday, August 06, 2012 9:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Dr. Mariangela,

Appears like you have changed your hotmail.com account into an outlook.com email address. So your old Hotmail account is gone now.

You have two options now

1. login with the new outlook account and create a new alias name with hotmail account. ( once you logged with new outlook.com email account ->On the right top corner you will have your display name -> click on that and select Account Settings -> Select update email address ->change the address to your old account 

If you don't know the new outlook.com email address, which change the email account from hotmail to outlook.com an email confirmation will be sent to a security email account in which it is used if you reset the password. you can login there and get the details over there.

2. Create a New email account in outlook with the same email address having the address name as anything@hotmail.com

let me know if you are having any issue.. will help you :)

Monday, August 06, 2012 6:45 PM
  • I have the same problem I have followed your advice and when I have set up an alias I try and change the address to my old account it wont let me saying this is not available plus it only gives me the option of hotmail.co.uk and live.co.uk not hotmail.com??!
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:56 AM
  • No changes have been made to your account by simply switching to the new Outlook.com interface. Also, no changes have been made when adding an outlook.com alias to your existing Hotmail account.

There are drastic changes when you choose to use the outlook.com alias as your main address for your Hotmail account. Some of these changes cannot be undone. For more information see;
    http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2012/08/03/upgrade-from-hotmail-to-outlook-com.aspx

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Renaming the email account to outlook.com from hotmail.com completly changing the old account and setting the new account as primary and leaving the old email address as a alias for outlook.com email address. So changes are happening like making my previous hotmail account as a secondary address and outlook.com address as primary.

There is no option to switch back to the hotmail.com email address as a primary account. Also the emails send to the old hotmail account is sending to the folders on the old hotmail account name.

Before renaming the hotmail account to outlook.com account, person has to be aware that it cannot be reversed and it will not be created as a new hotmail.com account. becuase it is already used as an alias with the new outlook.com address. Person can only send email with the outlook.com email address, but he can receive emails on both the hotmail and outlook account.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Please please can someone help me I am desperate!!!  I am not that computer savvy but as I have said above I had an old hotmail account that I have used for years I now cannot retrieve it I have tried the advice above but every time I use the account name it says this account does not exist if I try and add it to my new account it says it will send an email to verify but that is no use as I cannot open it to verify!  Is it a case that I have lost this account and all my very important emails for ever this will ruin me!  I have paid helplines I have paid just answer etc I have tried everything does anyone know how to do it and can tell me in layman terms PLEASE!
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:39 PM
  • As mentioned in my previous update. there is no option to get the hotmail account as primary account now. Because you have renamed your account to outlook.com and it cannot be reversed.

Please read the topic "Rename your account to an @outlook.com account" on the link mentioned by Roady.

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2012/08/03/upgrade-from-hotmail-to-outlook-com.aspx

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hello Mr Rajkumar,

I'm Anand. Few days ago, when outlook was launched, i upgraded to it within the first hour of its launch.

I created 3 alias email ids.

za@outlook.com

a.c@outlook.com

outlooks@outlook.com

it was via my hotmail email id: anandchoudhary@live.com

now, when i sign in at hotmail or outlook, from any of the above email id including the anandchoudhary@live.com, I cannot sign in,

it says, account does not exist.

Plz can you help me with this :)

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:01 PM
  • This happened to me too, and i was so frustrated for two weeks
    then i figured out that i was a dunce and that i made the most simple mistake

when you log in make sure you're still not using @hotmail.com to log in but rather @outlook.com!
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:47 PM
  • I have tried using my email address but with @outlook.com instead of hotmail.com but I get the message The sign-in information you entered is incorrect. Please try again.!!! 

Please is there nobody out there that can help me I will pay via PayPal a reward of £20to the person who gets me back into my old hotmail account! 

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Even I get same message, if I log on via, @outlook.com
    I signed up with my same username to outlook which i had on live. But I cannot see previous mails. :'(
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:17 AM
  • @anandchoudhary: Try to mention the last alias that you tried as the email address and enter your password. The last tried Email Alias will set as your primary account and you can login only with that account.

@kobemoore: If you rename your account from hotmail.com to outlook.com,then you have only one option to login with your outlook.com

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:44 AM
  • My new email address is ingekobe@hotmail.com if I try and add my old hotmail account v10nob@hotmail.com to this account it says it will send an email to that account for me to verify which is no good as I cannot open that account!  If I log in as v10nob@outlook.com it says the sign in information is incorrect and if I try it as v10nob@hotmail.com it says this account does not exist ....why did I bother to upgrade what a nightmare!!!!
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:49 AM
  • hello Raj

thank you for your kind information, the furthest I have managed to acchieve is: using the outlook.com address to sign in (this has automatically updated itself to primary account)

I then click on the 'cog wheel' up on the far right upper cornerswitch back to 'Hotmail' (whichI much prefer!)

my original primary email address MedicineWoman@hotmail.co.uk>  is still there to access all the incoming mail, so that is a paramount relief to me! however, when I write and send any mail, it always displays 'outlook.com' which is rather confusing to the people receiving the mail from me ...

if only having perception of nature (hindesight) I would most definitely not have taken the route to touring 'outlook.com' in my personal opinion 'outlook' is a most undesirable mail address!

a refreshing thought ... if only I could delete 'outlook.com' and revert back to familiar 'hotmail' once again ... all this unecessary stress would be begnine.!!

thanking you so very kindly for all your supportive help, it is very much appreciated.

Mariangela ... Dr. M Stanton-Linder

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:38 PM
  • hi...

I understand .. and know how you are feeling:)

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:39 PM
  • hello

thank you for your comments, however, this does NOT work ...

I applied all the instructions as per requested, and it took over my primary hotmail account, after which I could never sign in with again, saying that my account did not EXIST.

anyone thinking about upgrading to 'OUTLOOK' beware and give careful consideration to your original account and how important this is to you, because you cannot revert back to it once the changes have taken effect, which is immediately.

the following *underlined* statement from Microsoft website does not happen

*Don't sign-up for a new account; just sign-in with your existing Hotmail account. You don't need to change your address to use Outlook; in fact, if you sign-up for a new address, there is no way to combine or merge that new account with your old account*

for all you people experiencing difficulties with 'outlook' I I totally understand how you are feeling and my empathy goes out to you .. my advice is: 'Think before you Leap' as mistakes cannot be rectified later.

best wishes

Dr M Stanton-Linder UK based

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Well I am no nearer and my business is suffering I could offer more money as a reward but it looks like I am never getting my emails or my account back! 
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:44 PM
    Dude it helped me.

I got all my email ids back :)

Thank you, may god give you all that you want :)

With Best Regards,

Anand :)

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:17 AM
  • I followed Dr. Mariangela Stanton-Linder's advice, for which I am very thankful, and was able to revert back to Hotmail.  I had never logged in with any ID other than my Hotmail ID.  I dislike the faint display and odd, awkard way the e-mail messages are displayed, even though I have an extra large monitor.  Just the "feel" of the new online Outlook (an alleged "upgrade", which I think is atrocious) is inferior.  They should not have used the name Outlook, which is a much better product than this is.

If switching back to Hotmail doesn't work using the little gear wheel at the top right of the screen, and all else fails, something you might try is to download Windows Live Mail, which works similarly to how Outlook Express used to work before it was discontinued.  Therewith, you might be able to access all your messages and online folders using it, and it works independently of whether you've logged into the new Outlook/Hotmail.  I don't know why so many "upgrades" are worse than the originals.   

I hope this helps!

Warmly,

Jim

• Edited by Jamesj24 Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:27 AM Corrected and focused response.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:54 AM
  • Simple select options and change your mail from outlook.com (cloud version) back to hotmail.  Google "how to switch from outlook.com to hotmail.com" and select the article by dottech.org.

Monday, December 17, 2012 12:47 PM
  • You can't get back the old Hotmail account. However, you can send and receive email from this hotmail account because it became alias of outlook account.

The old emails was archived in the Outlook account, so you don't worried. And you can set the hotmail address become the default by choosing [More Mail Setting/ Your email accounts/Default "From" address].

Now, you can send and receive with the old Hotmail address right in the new Outlook account.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:14 AM
  • Please help me if possible.  I tried as usual to log in to my previous hotmail.com address and was told that I could not and to sign up for a new e-mail.  So I did, and have lost all access to my hotmail.com.  I tried to link the 2 and that was also unsuccessful.  I am furious!  I have lost all my contacts and files, my e-mail address was on all my documents (resumes etc).  I want my old hotmail address back!
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:29 PM