none
Keep or uninstall Microsoft Office Suite Activation Assistant?

Question

• I have deleted most of the Microsoft Office 2007 programs that came preloaded (as a trial) on my laptop before I install and activate Office Home & Student 2010. I'm told its okay to keep Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components but I'm not sure what to do about the Suite Activation Assistant. Is the Activation Assistant only there to help install/activate the trial 2007 Office programs or is it used to help load future microsoft office software like my 2010 package? What happens if it is un-installed?
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Phil,

To ensure you have a successful install of Office 2010, the best advice is to uninstall all Office files from previous versions before installing Office 2010. There is no need to keep the suite activation assistant - Office 2010 comes with a tool that is specific for its own activation. 

Darryl

Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Thank you Darryl.

My new problem is now using Word. After about an hour of word processing/editing the system freezes and the error I located describes it as "AppHangB1, WinWord.exe....." I get out of Word but then connot shutdown. The only way to close the computer is by holding down the on/off button. Going back into the system Norton (only the trial is running on my new laptop) tells me it detected "Bloodhound.Exploit.106" which was automatically removed. The two things might be connected? A google search on these issues comes up with many different possible causes and solutions. I see that one possible cause for Word 2010 hanging is plug-ins and even an anti-virus program that has an Office plug-in that I could disable. All very confusing when I tried to follow all the right procedures to install and activate my licenced Office suite.

Cheers, Phil 

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Hi Phil,

First make sure your computer is virus-free, then make sure you've uninstalled all Office bits from all versions. Use the Fixit tool in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

One the computer is clean, then reinstall Office 2010.

Darryl

• Marked as answer by philk333 Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:37 AM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:19 PM