none
Word 2010 linked to Access

Question

• I am trying to create a FAX cover sheet that will merge our staff information into the document in the "From" fields.  The staff information is in an Access database.  I would like to use the "User name" stored in Word to match against the staff names in the database.  The database is linked to the FAX cover sheet as the recipient list for the document. 

My thought was to select edit recipient list and click on Filter in the Mail Merge Recipients Window.  The Filter and Sort Window will allow me to compare the staff names field to another field or typed in data. 

How do I identify the data in the "User name" field in Word?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try to use "Insert Mail Merge Field" to match "User name" data, and you can click "Preview Results" button view merged data, see below image:

More reference: "Mail merge: Insert Merge Field"
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/mail-merge-insert-merge-field-HA101967341.aspx?CTT=1

If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hi Bill:

Thanks for the assist.  I don't think you quite understand.

I have a database of staff names, fax, and phone numbers.  I would like the staff to be able to open a fax template I designed and have

their information inserted into the document.  My thought was to link the username in Word to the database via the Filter and Sort

feature that refines the recipient list.  The problem is that {USERNAME \* MERGEFORMAT} instantly retrieves the user name of the document

creator.  I need the username retrieved at the time the document is opened or at the time of a merge.

PB

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:52 PM