none
Office 2010 Shared Features

Question

• Hi,

Recently I installed Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (64BIT).  Now, I am trying to install PowerPivot for Excel 2010 (64BIT).  The setup will not completed because Office Shared Features is not installed.

I referred back to my software.  Selected Add or Remove Features.  Selected to Run all from My Computer.  Configuration completed.  I tried to install PowerPoint again and received the same error message.

Can I download Office Shared Features?  How can I verify if Office Shared Features are installed on my machine.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for contacting Outlook IT Pro Discussions Services. 

From your description, I understand that you have installed Office Professional Plus 2010 64-bit. Now you are unable to install PowerPivot for Excel 2010 64-bit, and there is an error that Office Shared Feature is not installed. You have checked Add or Remove Features and selected “run all from my computer”, but the problem persists. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

To install PowerPivot for Excel, we need to first install Office with Office Shared Features. At this time, I suggest trying the suggestions below to check install the Office shared features.

Run all Office 2010 features from computer

==================================================

1.       Click Start, click Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Classic View on the left top to switch.

2.       Double click Programs and Features, you will find an open box about Uninstall or change a program, which is the same feature as Add or Remove Programs in the Windows XP system.

3.       In the programs list, highlight Microsoft Office 2010 and click Change.

4.       In the dialog box, select "Add or Remove Features", and then click Continue.

5.       Choose the "Installation Options" tab, this displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.

6.       Click the icon besides "Microsoft Office", in the drop down list, select "Run all from My Computer", click Continue.

7.       If you are prompted for the installation disk, please insert Office 2010 disks.

8.       Reboot your computer and test the issue again.

After the installation, we can go to the link below to download PowerPivot for Excel:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e081c894-e4ab-42df-8c87-4b99c1f3c49b

Note: Please choose “PowerPivot for Microsoft® Excel X64 Executable (64 bit)” from the page.

Then, click on the downloaded package and try to install again.

Can we install it at this time?

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:25 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I understand that you have installed Office Professional Plus 2010 64-bit. Now you are unable to install PowerPivot for Excel 2010 64-bit, and there is an error that Office Shared Feature is not installed. You have checked Add or Remove Features and selected “run all from my computer”, but the problem persists. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

To install PowerPivot for Excel, we need to first install Office with Office Shared Features. At this time, I suggest trying the suggestions below to check install the Office shared features.

1.       Click Start, click Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Classic View on the left top to switch.

2.       Double click Programs and Features, you will find an open box about Uninstall or change a program, which is the same feature as Add or Remove Programs in the Windows XP system.

3.       In the programs list, highlight Microsoft Office 2010 and click Change.

4.       In the dialog box, select "Add or Remove Features", and then click Continue.

5.       Choose the "Installation Options" tab, this displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.

6.       Click the icon besides "Microsoft Office", in the drop down list, select "Run all from My Computer", click Continue.

7.       If you are prompted for the installation disk, please insert Office 2010 disks.

After the installation, we can go to the link below to download PowerPivot for Excel:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e081c894-e4ab-42df-8c87-4b99c1f3c49b

Note: Please choose “PowerPivot for Microsoft® Excel X64 Executable (64 bit)” from the page.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:25 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Hi Sally,

I have the same problem and the same error when I tried to install PowerPivot - setup is missing prerequisites and that it requires the Office Shared Features component. It also shows Go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=168472 which takes me to a Microsoft page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ceb4346f-657f-4d28-83f5-aae0c5c83d52&displaylang=en  which is the following page:

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Feature Pack

I am running the trial version of Office Home & Business 2010. I followed your instructions through step 3. Step 4 does not give me the dialog box, it goes right into repair mode. The repair completes and says it fixed something but does not allow me to install PowerPivot.

Thanks,

Bob Fabbro

Monday, August 02, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Hi Bob,

When you do Step 3, you should see Uninstall and Change. If you are unable to see it, your Office program may be corrupted. It is better to uninstall it and reinstall it.

You can also follow the steps here to completely uninstall Office programs and then install it.

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Sally Tang

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Hello Sally,

I repeat the original question- how to find out whether the Office Shared Features component of MS Office 2010 is INSTALLED OR NOT INSTALLED.

I got into exactly the same situation as Bob and not able to install Power Pivot for Excel. I have Win7-32 pro and Office 2010 Standard. And my "Shared Features Component" installation went without any hitch. Re-started the PC and also opened and closed MS Office applications, just in case. No help. When I try to install Power Pivot I get the same message.

So how to verify whether Office Shared features did get install or not.

Thanks,

Raghavendra B

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hi Raghavendra,

Actually office shared features contains the following functionality

1.       A comprehensive introduction to the Fluent interface and Ribbon

2.       A complete discussion about the new XML file format and how to work between the old and new formats

3.       Managing consistency between application files using common tools like Themes

4.       Enhancing documents using images, shapes and SmartArt

5.       The ease with which we can save, recover and share files

If these above changes are working in your office tool it meant to office shared features are installed otherwise not.

Please check this as well for view the exact emple how to verify your shared features installation.

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/video/office-and-productivity-applications/00320100007si

Krishana Kumar http://mosstechnet-kk.com
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Hi Sally,

I'm having the same issues as the people above.  I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit and Office Professional Plus 2010 32 bit.  I've followed the instructions above, successfully installed Office Features, restarted my machine a few times, and I'm still getting the same error.  Do you have any other ideas I could try?

Thanks,

Matt

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:29 PM
  • We were able to find a solution for our issue.  These are the steps we had to follow:

Here are the three steps to install Microsoft PowerPivot:

1.  Install "Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime" from the following link:
     http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20479
     Click on the button that says 'DOWNLOAD' for 'vstor40_x86.exe'

Run the file and follow its directions to install.

2. Install  "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer)" from the following link:
     http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17851
     There is only one file so click on the 'DOWNLOAD' button and run the file and follow its directions to install.

3. Download the Microsoft PowerPivot file and save it to your hard drive
     http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28150
     After downloading the file (save it to the hard drive, do not 'RUN' the program) you must open up the command prompt 'as Administrator'
     - Click on the START button for Windows, click on 'All Programs', click on 'Accessories, right-click on 'Command Prompt'

and choose 'Run as Administrator'

This will put you in a DOS window.  You will need to use the 'CD' command to change directory to the folder where you stored the downloaded file. 
     For me, I stored the file in my 'Downloads' folder so I typed in the following command:

Once you are in the correct folder, simply type the name of the downloaded file: 
      PowerPivot_for_Excel_x86.msi
     and press the enter key.  Follow the instructions for installing the program.

• Proposed as answer by HondaTiger Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:21 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:36 PM
  • I tried this and it still will not install with error message from above.

1.  Install "Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime" from the following link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20479
    Click on the button that says 'DOWNLOAD' for 'vstor40_x86.exe'

This 'vstor40_x86.exe'  version will not install on Windows 7 64bit. You have to install 'vstor_x64.exe.

Followed steps 2 and 3 and received same error message.

I have tried this on multyiple Win 7 64bit PCs only works on the 32bit Win 7 systems.

The 64bit version on the download site is for AMD processors and will not install.

Any suggestions? I am tasked with evaulting PowerPivot.

• Edited by KevinGould Friday, March 16, 2012 8:06 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 7:23 PM
  • PowerPivot 64x, apparently, only works when the full Office suite is installed. Excel 2010 64x is not enough.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 5:11 PM
  • This is really annoying. All office suite is required? Is that true??

I can't install PowerPivot even though everything is selected except access, infopath, outlook and powerpoint. We're running Office Pro Plus x64. Same error every time. There's no way I can install the other components.

Friday, July 06, 2012 10:13 PM
  • I'm running 32bit - trying to install 64bit PowerPivot - what a muppet! Fixed.
    Friday, July 06, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Sally - Thank you for the instruction here.  I had looked at what I needed to install PowerPivot and wanted to find out the how and where of it all.  Your instructions had me on the right track quickly and installed without error.

Thanks!!!

Brother Miles

Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Thanks Gedris... once I installed the runtime it worked
    Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:22 PM