none
Problem with activation of Office 2010 Professional, 'help' web link does not work

Question

• I am having problems activating a copy of Office Professional 2010 purchased retail. I am being told that the product key is not valid, though I have re-entered it twice. I click on the 'more information' link but the page doesn't load: http://wwwppe.dns.microsoft.com/howtotell/geo/content.aspx?pg=geo_off&displaylang=en?ERR=0xc004c003&LCID=1033&MSG=4&PID=02257-210-6072776-49466&ErrorCode=0xc004c003
    Please advise what I should do.
    Thanks
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Mandy,

Sorry you're having issues activating your copy of Office 2010. Where did you get the product key? Was it on the box, your seller gave it directly to you, the web, etc.

Try uninstalling Office 2010, then re-install it and enter the product key.

If you cannot uninstall office from the control panel, you can refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Darryl

• Proposed as answer by DarrylMo Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Mandy,

Sorry you're having issues activating your copy of Office 2010. Where did you get the product key? Was it on the box, your seller gave it directly to you, the web, etc.

Try uninstalling Office 2010, then re-install it and enter the product key.

If you cannot uninstall office from the control panel, you can refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Darryl

• Proposed as answer by DarrylMo Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:13 PM
  • I am having the same problem as Mandy. I have uninstalled the office from my computer on both ways. But my problem is still there and I cannot validate the product. If the Product Key is not correct how can I install this program? Once the product is installed then at the activation we get the error message???? Why?

Donny Boy
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Could you please follow the instructions below, run the commands in green, and paste your output?

Open anelevated command prompt

a.The path below is the default install path, so it may be different if you've customized your install

b.If you’re using 32b Office on a 64b OS, you may need to run it from the “Program Files (x86)” folder

c.Start, search for ‘cmd’, right click on the command prompt window and select “Run as administrator”

d.cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Trigger activation

a.Launching an Office application will then prompt you for activation via the UI. Alternatively you can trigger it using this command:

b.cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act

Check the status

a.The following command will show the licensing status. Alternatively in the Office UI you can view the status by clicking File, Help.

b.cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Proposed as answer by grandpa clint Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:25 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 5:53 AM
  • I am having the same problem. I purchased Project 2010 but am using Office 2007 professional. The program installed into the Office 2007 directory as it should since that is the program I am using. But it keeps asking me to register (even though I put the key in when I installed it) and I try to do it over the phone or internet and it says it is an invalid key. The commands in the last post do not work, I keep getting an invalid script message.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:58 PM
  • I am having the same problem also. I have installed Office Professional 2010, however, when I open a program, the computer says i have Professional Plus and the product key is invalid when I try to activate it.
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 11:28 PM
  • I, too, have the same issue... purchased 'Office Professional 2010' from a local computer repair shop. Installed the product just fine but when I try to activate it, I get error message that product code is invalid and the activation wizard is showing that this is Professional Plus 2010 .... I contacted retailer who says he does not know what I am talking about since the sealed box has only 'Offfice Professional 2010' on it. It also shows that it is for use on 3 computers and looks like a genuine ms cd. After reading the forums, it seems to me that this is actually volume licensing software that is in the wrong packaging -- can that be?

The retailer said that he does not give refunds for opened software so it cannot be returned. It looks like I have no recourse except to lose the money spent and no refund to be had. Am I the victim of software piracy or false packaging or what ????? I just want it to activate so I can use it.

This retailer insists that I must not be installing software correctly; however, I know I did it correctly and had no other version installed as I just put in a new hard drive on laptop that I am using with Windows 7 Ultimate. Please advise!

Thanks!

debcarp

I ran the script suggested in green '

cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

and received message back

Input Error: can not find script file "C:Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs".

What does that mean?

I ran the cscript to activate and got same message (as 'Alarider' below) ... the activation server determined that the specified product key was blocked  ......what do I do now to fix this issue?
    • Edited by debcarp Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:43 AM
  • I have the same problem. I ran the cscript ospp.vbs /act. The error message says the server determined the key "was blocked". I downloaded Office 2010 direct from Microsoft. This is BS. Microsoft needs to stand by there product and solve this problem. We paid alot of real money for this software which does not activate.....  
    • Proposed as answer by lestie422 Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:41 AM
  • from the CMD line. use CD to go into the folder where the file is. i.e > CD Program files   until you get to the folder. Then it runs fine. Just like the old DOS commands. you can do a DIR to see what files are there.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:46 AM
  • I tried the commands but it returns and error saying the product key has been blocked. This is brand new out-of-the box software, so that cannot be the problem. I'm completely baffled at this point.
    Monday, September 05, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:00 AM
  • i am very upset. i paid for a microsoft key and i tried to activate it and it said "key could not be activated because it is not valid."
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:19 AM
  • i tried everything.
    • Proposed as answer by sfdfdsfsd Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by sfdfdsfsd Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:21 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:20 AM
  • I am having problems activating a copy of Office Professional 2010 purchased retail. I am being told that the product key is not valid, though I have re-entered it twice. I click on the 'more information' link but the page doesn't load: http://wwwppe.dns.microsoft.com/howtotell/geo/content.aspx?pg=geo_off&displaylang=en?ERR=0xc004c003&LCID=1033&MSG=4&PID=02257-210-6072776-49466&ErrorCode=0xc004c003
    Please advise what I should do.
    Thanks

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:31 PM
  • What's a product key and where do I   get one.  Trying to access miro office 2010

Thank you

Monday, May 28, 2012 1:43 AM
  • Office came installed on a Sony computer and now after two years I am getting a message that the software is not genuine - although I have been using it for two years.

Has Sony sold unlicenced software?

Sunday, September 02, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Ted,

Hoping you can help.

After evaluating Office 2010 for our needs here, we decided to upgrade (from 2007), and purchased Office Pro 2010.  I've gone through a number of 'fixes' to remove all vestages of 2007 and 2010 (because I want to use 64-bit), and then clean installed the new box version we purchased.

Getting the following error when I try your Trigger Activation method above:

Installed product key detected - attempting to activate the following product:
    SKU ID: 71af7e84-93e6-4363-9b69-699e04e74071
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlus-Retail edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, RETAIL channel
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: 8MBXH
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004C003
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The activation server determined the specified product key ha
    s been blocked

Any help you can give would be great, as I have alot of work to do!

• Proposed as answer by Cats3122 Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Cats3122 Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:24 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 8:36 PM
  • mjjjjjjj

Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:07 PM