none
Stopping Outgoing Email With Wrong Recipient

Question

• I wish to ensure that if a recipient list includes a wrong email address (say because auto complete wrongly put in the wrong email address) that email is not sent, and an alert is given to change the address.  This could be to stop sending an email erroneously to a competitor because the individual now has another email address which would be correct.

Anyone know how this may be achieved?

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi!

You didn't specify the version of Outlook, so I'll try to cover old and new versions of Outlook.

If you're trying to prevent sending to a bad address for a recipient due to an incorrect entry in the Outlook profile's Nickname\Autocomplete cache, there a few things to consider.

Outlook 2003/2007

1. If you are unsure which entries in cached list of addresses is no longer valid, you can recreate the NK2 file used by Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623  "How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook"

- Each Outlook profile has its .NK2 file. You can either create a new Outlook profile to get a new NK2 file. Or rename\delete the profile's existing NK2 file. The next time you address an email the recipient's address is written into memory. When Outlook successfully closes down, the entry will be written into the NK2 file.

2. If you know which entries are incorrect, you can use a third party utility called NK2Viewer to open the NK2 file and remove the invalid\incorrect entries.

3. You can also remove the entries manually by selecting the name from the Autocomplete list that pops up and delete the recipient's address from there.

Outlook 2010

1. If you are unsure which entries in cached list of addresses is no longer valid, use one of the methods listed below to reset the Outlook nickname cache for Microsoft Outlook 2010.

Method 1

1.With Outlook 2010 open, click File (BackStage), and then click Options.
    2.Click the Mail tab.
    3.Under Send Messages, click Empty Auto-Complete List.
    Outlook will generate a new nickname cache.

Method 2

1.Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.Start Outlook by using the /CleanAutoCompleteCache switch.
    For example: Outlook.exe /CleanAutoCompleteCache
    Note If Outlook is not installed in the default location, you will need to point to the path of Outlook.exe.

2. If you know which entries are incorrect, you can use a third party utility called NK2Viewer to open the NK2 file and remove the invalid\incorrect entries.

3. You can also remove the entries manually by selecting the name from the Autocomplete list that pops up and delete the recipient's address from there.

Additonally, here is information on what can cause entries to be removed from the Autocomplete list (Outlook 2003\2007's NK2 file and Outlook 2010's Autocomplete cache) --In my notes, I am specifying NK2 files but it will also relate to Outlook 2010's Autocomplete cache.

Summary
    =============================
    What can cause the .NK2 file to become corrupt and force a previously cached name\address to have to be re-entered\resolved\written back into the .NK2 file?

More Information
    =============================
    The things that can result in a name being removed from the .nk2 file are:

· NDR for the recipient -If you receive an NDR after sending to the recipient, the name\address is dropped from the NK2 file.
    · User manually deletes a name from the autosuggest dropdown -User types in the first 3 characters and then the list of names\addresses comes up. If the user highlights the name\address and accidently clicks the Delete button, the name\address is dropped from the NK2 file.
    · The file exceeds x number of entries (1000 by default…and the customer is nowhere near that)

· Additionally, the nickname cache files loads up in memory. New names\addresses are written into the .NK2 file upon exit. If the new names\addresses don’t seem to be cached, then Outlook is not closing down all the way or not closing properly.

List all known workarounds:

1. Re-enter email address, resolve name, and then shutdown Outlook to write to the .NK2 file.
    2. New .NK2 file and then re-enter email address, resolve name, and then shutdown Outlook to write to the .NK2 file.

Lastly, if you're wanting to catch a bad recipient address upon the user clicking "Send", you could probably achieve this thru an Outlook COM Add-in that effectively validates the recipient's address before proceeding with the Send action. Pretty costly though, I would think. It would likely cause a perf hit you wouldn't want to live with.

Anyways, if you would like to try to achieve what you want to do programmatically, I would suggest posting to the Office\Outlook Developers forums. Basically, what you want to do is catch the NDR before the server does.

I hope that helps! What a great question and I can honestly say that I've heard it asked more than a few times. -Thanks!

Jahawk MSFT

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:34 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:44 PM