none
When opening MS Word, "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings."

Question

• message pops up. So I close the message, then it pops up again, I close it again. Then it dissappears. Now when I try to close MS Word, "Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found" pops up under 'Microsoft Visual Basic' title in the message. Then I close it, MS Word gets closed together. This same pattern is happening all of sudden whenever I open and close MS Word 2007.

• Edited by macrovisual Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:07 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What version of Office are you using?

This problem causes by Word security settings, please change macro settings in the Trust Center (Office 2010):

1. Click the File tab. The Backstage view opens.
    2. Under Help, click Options; the Options dialog box appears.
    3. Click Trust Center, then click Trust Center Settings.
    4. In the Trust Center, click Macro Settings.
    5. Select Enable all macros (not recommended, potentially dangerous code can run) check box.    

More detailed information about Marco settings you can refer to following links:

Office 2010: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/enable-or-disable-macros-in-office-files-HA010354316.aspx?CTT=1#BM4

Office 2007: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/enable-or-disable-macros-in-office-documents-HA010031071.aspx?CTT=3#BM17

If the problem still persists, start Word in Safe Mode, Press Ctrl key to open Word program, disable all add-in test if it works.   If the problem does not appears in Safe Mode, please check add-in one-by-one to determine which add-in causes this issue.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:02 AM
  • Thanks.

It's getting worse. Now after removing the message, when I open any document, I have the same message again and have to close it twice. Before when I raised the question, after removing the message, I could open any file without any problems.

I didn't do anything. This happend all of sudden. Ok, one thing if it matters,  I had to update ESET (Antivirus software) before this. When it's updated, it updates Windows, too, together.

It's MS Word 2007 (I just edited my question also).

• Edited by macrovisual Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:51 PM
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:08 PM
  • I followed your instruction up to opening Word in Safe Mode. But how do I disable all add-in test ?
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

1. Click the Microsoft Office Button , click Word Options, and then click Add-Ins.
    2. In the Add-ins box, select the COM Add-ins type in the Manage box and then click Go.
    3. Clear the check box for the Add-in and then click OK.
    4. Close Word program and restart it.
    5. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Word program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

How to enable or disable add-ins you can refer to this link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/enable-or-disable-add-ins-in-office-programs-HA010034127.aspx?CTT=1#BM2

Best regards.

William Zhou

Monday, April 16, 2012 2:01 AM
  • I have three items to uncheck. I restarted Word normally after I checked each box with the same reoeat procedure.   Every each time when I restarted Word after checking one box one at a time 3 times, the same issue was still remaining. What should be done now?

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow this article steps to rename Global template (Normal.dotm): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918429

If the problem still persists, please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Best regards.

William Zhou

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Now I should check all the three items as before?

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:00 PM
  • I checked all three items back as before.
    Monday, April 16, 2012 1:10 PM
    • Close Windows Explorer.

In the instruction for "Rename Global template". This was the last step.  Is Windows Explorer same as Internet Explorer? I closed Internet Explorer and opened Word. But the issue still remains.

But I noticed since I did the Add-ins process, the Macro message (Macro has been disabled ....) bar at the top below the Menu is dissappeared. 

Should I rename oldword to Normal.dotm back?

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:20 PM
  • I used "Fix it" in the link. While I was following the process, I skipped changing the setting of "printer driver." And the problem still remains. I tried to send the troubleshoot results, but there were errors. What should be done at this point?

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

Please see known issues with this security update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598041

You install this security update on a computer that has a third-party software solution installed. The software solution is based on Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). The software solution creates an instance of the control directly through Microsoft Office. In this scenario, the control may not load in your solution.

To resolve this issue, delete the cached versions of the control type libraries (extender files) on the client computer. To do this, search your hard disk for files that have the ".exd" file name extension and delete all the .exd files that you find. These .exd files will be re-created automatically when you use the new controls the next time that you use VBA. These extender files will be under the user's profile and may also be in other locations, such as the following:
    C:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms

C:\documents and settings\username\AppData\Local\Temp\VBE

Best regards.

William Zhou

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:18 AM
  • I have ESET antivirus software. Before this issue occured, I updated ESET. When ESET is updated, it updates Windows. Is this issue occured by this Windows update? 
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Hi,

If you have install Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2598041), please follow the KB steps test this issue.

On the other hand, you can disable ESET antivirus software test this issue.

Hope this helps.

William Zhou

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:04 AM
  • I disabled ESET, but the problem still remains.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:28 PM
  • I just found out even if I check the boxes for Add-ins, check marks are all dissapeared after I close and reopen Word.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I received another notification to update ESET. When I updated it, I saw Office live add-in was getting updated. Now in Word, Office live add-in has a check mark.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:01 PM
  • How do I know I installed Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2598041)?
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:21 PM
  • How do I know I installed Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2598041)?

Hi,

Click Start -> Control panel -> Windows Update -> View update history.

Best regards.

William Zhou

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:21 AM
  • What is the KB step? Are you referring to the one below?

You install this security update on a computer that has a third-party software solution installed. The software solution is based on Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). The software solution creates an instance of the control directly through Microsoft Office. In this scenario, the control may not load in your solution.

To resolve this issue, delete the cached versions of the control type libraries (extender files) on the client computer. To do this, search your hard disk for files that have the ".exd" file name extension and delete all the .exd files that you find. These .exd files will be re-created automatically when you use the new controls the next time that you use VBA. These extender files will be under the user's profile and may also be in other locations, such as the following:
    C:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms

C:\documents and settings\username\AppData\Local\Temp\VBE

If so, how can I find ".exd" files to remove? 

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308895

Windwos 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Find-a-file-or-folder

Tip: Type *.exd to search box.

Best regards.

William Zhou

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:26 AM
  • No .exd file found.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:24 AM
  • A computer repairman found and removed the file from Dos. Now Word is fine. I wonder if this just happens to certain people with the update. 
    Friday, April 20, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

Remove the .exd file?

I’m glad to hear that you resolve this issue.

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards.

William Zhou

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:12 AM
  • This shouldn't have happened. Prevent this from happening again when we update Windows.
    Friday, April 20, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Its really works.

Thanks a lot

Fahad

Friday, April 27, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Hello,

We are having the same issue with macro-enabled Word 2007 templates, however the solution provided in that KB doesn´t work for us. Will there be an update to MS12-027 in the next Security Updates wave to fix this issue, or is there any other way around it?

We have found out, that re-registering MSCOMCTL.OCX fixed it, but doing it manually for each one of hundreds of our users isn´t what I mean 

Thanks.

Friday, May 04, 2012 11:17 AM