none

Question

• Hi,

We have just installed Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 after going from Outlook 2002 and Exchange 2003.

Previously when our users logged into Outlook 2002 they did not have to enter a dmoain or the full email address in the login prompt. However since the upgrade our user's now need to enter either "domain\" or their email address (abc@mydomain.com). Is there any way to mask the domain login information?

I know that you can set it for OWA, but I would like it also set for our Outlook Full Client users.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Monday, December 06, 2010 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may ty the suggetions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=290684

If it did not work, try to rename the folder:

Navigate to

"%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect"

There should be 1 folder in there, rename it, but make sure you can change it back if necessary.

Open Outlook, it will create an identicle folder to the one you just renamed, it will ask for your password as usual, enter your password.

Close Outlook, then reopen it again, it will be no password prompted. For the ultimate test restart your PC and open Outlook again.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Hi Sally,

Thank you for your reply.

I have read through what you have sugested and it doesn't really fit my needs. I still want outlook to prompt for a password. The difference is I want the user's to be able to enter just their user name to log into outlook, not domain\username or username@domain.com like they used to in Office 2002.

Also, to clarify a little more the PCs are on a domain and connecting to an exchange server not a pop or imap server.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Hi

You had indicated that your client machines were on a domain. 

Does that mean your windows clients have been joined to the domain, and thus the users are logging into the domain as domain users? 

If that is correct, then Outlook should not be prompting the users for credentials unless:

1. The users are logging into a mailbox that is not their own

2. Outlook is configured to prompt for credentials

Is either one of the above scenarios being used?

If Outlook is configured to prompt for credentials, then what authentication type is selected?

Thanks!

Jahawk MSFT

Friday, December 10, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Hi Jahawk,

The computer are on the domain and they users are loging in as domain users. We have set the accounts to request authentication on open.

The question I have is how do I check the Authentication Type in Outlook?

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Monday, December 13, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Hi Daniel

To check the authentication settings in Outlook 2010 try the following:

1. Go to the File > Account Settings and then the select Account Settings option below that
    2. On the Email Tab, double-click your Exchange Account
    3. Click More Settings
    4. Select the Security Tab and check the setting for Logon Network Security

Thanks!

Larry - [MSFT]

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

It is set to "Negotiate Authentication".

Kind Regards,

Daniel

• Proposed as answer by rajamdurai Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rajamdurai Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Hi Daniel

Thanks! One last question - is Always Prompt for Logon Credentials checked?

Thanks!

Larry - [MSFT]

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Hi Larry,

Yes, we have to have it turned on as a Dept. of Health requirement.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:11 AM
  • Hi Daniel

Thanks for the update.  So far I have not been able to find a way to force the domain name to be preset. At this point, you might want to would consider opening a case with support
    You can visit the following link for details on the various support options available to you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Larry - MSFT

Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Daniel or Larry,

Have either of you found out a way for setting the client to assume a specific domain, similar to OWA?

-Aaron

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Nope. I've talked with my bosses and they don't want to stump up the money for a support call for something that they see as (and I have to agree is) a minor annoyance. Maybe one day I'll get time to revisit it (perhaps with the next version of Office).

- Daniel

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:04 PM