none
"setup cannot find the required setup controller file"

Question

• hi everyone i am trying to install microsoft office 2010 pro plus and when i click the setup.exe file i get the following error :

"setup cannot find the required setup controller file.....   anyone have any idea to how solve this problem please share it with me asap 

thank you in advance 

• Moved by Seven M Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:09 AM it is about office pro plus setup (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to completely uninstall Office programs and then install Office 2010 again.

To uninstall, follow the steps in this KB article:

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, August 13, 2010 8:27 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to completely uninstall Office programs and then install Office 2010 again.

To uninstall, follow the steps in this KB article:

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, August 13, 2010 8:27 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:35 AM
  • I was getting this error when trying to depoly via startup script in group policy.  The problem was that Authenticated Users needed read rights to the install directory.  Not sure if this applies in your situation but make sure the account your installing with has rights to the install directory. 

Eric

Friday, September 17, 2010 2:52 PM
  • I have seen this error because of running system restore does not bring back certain "xml" files from your  setup controller directory. The fix is to re-run Office setup from your disk or web downloadable. Setup logs are in the %temp% directory.
    • Edited by micrey Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:20 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Hi Everyone, I am trying to install Office Visio 2010 from (ultra)ISO file. I am getting the same message. I had installed remaining tools (Word, Excel, ...) from other source which is not available now. So I don't want to uninstall my office. Can someone tell me how can I install Visio without uninstalling my office 2010. Waiting for a useful response. Thanks, Awais Yousaf
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 7:12 PM