none
Outlook Attach/Insert File does not show network drives

Question

• We are rolling out office 2010. I just had a user ask me why there network drives were not listed (in drop down) when trying to attach a doc to an email. 

I can access the drive by clicking My Computer to the left of the menu page. But When they hit the drop down the only option is Desktop and FTP location. 

Can someone please advise? 

Thanks - SJMP

• Moved by Abdias Ruiz [MSFT] Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:17 PM Applies to all Office 2010 applications (From:Outlook IT Pro Discussions)
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• This is the KB article documenting the issue, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454123.

It is unlikely this issue will get fixed longer term on Windows XP because of the risk of regression.  If the workaround is not sufficient and your company wants to provide business impact, please open a support case and request the issue be escalated for hotfix consideration. 

• Proposed as answer by David E. Long Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:27 PM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:30 PM

All replies

• I can access the drive by clicking My Computer to the left of the menu page. But When they hit the drop down the only option is Desktop and FTP location. 

Hi,

Firstly, I suggest you check if this user has permission for network resource and the firewall settings in his/her computer.

Also the users should log on windows as an administrator and connect network successfully.

If all of these settings are normally, I think maybe outlook profile has been corrupted. So try to create a new outlook profile to test this issue.

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the Mail icon.
    3. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.

If you want to be able to select a specific profile each time you start Outlook, click the General tab, click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.
    4. In the New Profile dialog box, under Profile Name, type a descriptive name for the new profile, and then click OK.
    5. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, select Add a new e-mail account in the e-mail options, and then click Next.
    6. Click the type of server that your e-mail account works with, and then click Next.
    7. Complete all of the required fields, including those that are on the tabs that appear after you click More Settings.
    8. When you finish providing the required information, click Finish.
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:15 AM
  • I already addressed that their are no network issues. All drives are mapped on the machine and accessible. Please read my original post. 

This is a fresh install on a new machine. And I just checked for other new machines all fresh installs and all reflect the same thing. When you hit the drop down menu under Insert File you do not get you list of mapped drives. Like you do in previous versions. How can I default outlook to do this?

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 12:30 PM
  • This is a fresh install on a new machine. And I just checked for other new machines all fresh installs and all reflect the same thing.  

Hi,

What OS do they use and do they use Active Directory?

If this issue is happening on many PCs, then I can only guess that its a group policy somewhere that is screwy. I suggest you try to select the option to turn off fast logon.

If all your drives are mapped via a login script, try to go into your group policy and let the network fully initialize before executing the login script.

If these users are a certain group of laptop users, check if this group of users have two network adapters installed and active which maybe cause a conflict.

Try it and let me know if it works and I will continue to research it. Thanks.

Friday, June 11, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

Have you solved this issue? And hope I can do more for you.

Monday, June 14, 2010 5:29 AM
  • It looks like it is a default setting on 2010. We use AD, it is happening on all 30 Office 2010 Installations. 

No group policy that would change the default settings in outlook. The login script is not the issue. Neither is group policy. I have made sure the drive mapping have been initialized before executing outlook. 

I also duplicated the problem with mapped drives bypassing the login script. 

Like I said before you can select the drives in outlook attach file if you click the icon on the right. But I want it to appear in the drop down box like in all previous versions of Office. 

This might be a windows 7 problem. can you confirm?

Thanks,

Monday, June 14, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you posting this thread in the windows 7 forum, as they should have more professional knowledge on this product and you may get effective solution timely. For your convenience, I would like to list the windows 7 forum link below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

I am having the exact same issue with one of my users as the original poster is having except mine is on an XP SP3 box.  Upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010 and now when you use  isthe dropdown at the top of the save dialog box it ony displays Desktop and FTP location.  I don't think this is a windows 7 issue.  I run W7 and Office 2010 and i don't have this problem.  Clicking the dropdown in the save as dialog box gives me all the locations available to me.

However for this user Office 2010 on an XP box only displays Destop and FTP.  Any Ideas?

Thanks and Regards,

Daniel Meadows

P.S.  Same thing happens from any office app.  Excel, Outlook etc.

• Edited by dmeadows Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:21 PM postscript
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:20 PM
  • It is not a Win7 issue - I have the problem on Win7 and XP machines as well.

We did an Office upgrade from 2003 to 2010 - the issue did not exist in 2003. 

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Jennifer - can you please advise? Whole company needs a fix on this one. 

Thanks,

SJMP

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:22 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with all of the computers we've upgraded to Office 2010. The problem exists on a fresh install. Using any Office application, after you open the Open/Save/Save As/Add attachment/etc dialog boxes, the only folders that appear in the Look In dropdown box are Desktop and FTP Locations - no network or local drives, etc.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

I have escalated this issue to higher level MS engineer and I also will do more research for it. If I get some points, I will put it here as soon as possible. Thank you!

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

This is actually a common path that is used between Office applications and Internet Explorer.  The paths are stored in the registry and as you type new paths it rebuilds the registry key. 

If you still have the working machines, you can export the registry key from it and import it to the non working machines and all Office apps should see the paths that are listed in the key.  If you no longer have the working machines you can manually create the registry key and then push it out to all users and they will see the paths that you have put in the registry when they are attaching/inserting/saving files.

Here is the registry key that this information is stored in.  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths

Let me know if this provides what you need.

Teresa Walker [MSFT]

Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:06 AM
  • A) the "TypedPath" key was not present on a computer that still had Office 2007 installed on it and all drives are showing up in the "Look In" drop down box

B) adding that key on an affected computer running Office 2010 did not resolve the issue (after restart). Even after typing in a couple of new paths, they did not show up in the drop down box.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Did you put the network paths in the registry key?  I tested this on my machines and I can manually add the paths to the registry key and after restarting Outlook I will see the paths listed in the drop down box.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Patrick Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:08 PM
  • In my case there was no change in machines, only an upgrade to Office 2010.  Prior to the upgrade there were paths listed in the "look in".  After the upgrade they are gone.  I don't know what values to put in there as i don't have an old machine to go by.  Also i really don't think people want to go around editing registry values to resolve something that worked fine in every other version of office.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:31 PM
  • I agree with dmeadows - it is going to be problematic to have to include the paths to every drive letter on every computer. Especially when certain drive letters are going to vary from machine to machine. This worked with previous versions of Office, why won't it work with 2010? The solution you're presenting is more of a band-aid fix than an actual solution.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

I agree this is not the ideal solution.  This is a common feature that is used in Windows.  If you go to Internet Explorer and choose Save As, do you see the network drives there?

If not, then I am going to forward this point to the Windows newsgroup as this may be best handled by them. 

Thanks,

------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:00 PM
  • In Internet Explorer, I see all the connected drives (both local and mapped) in the Save As dialog box when I click on the "Look In" drop down arrow. This is what I'm wanting to see in Office as well.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Can you give me some information about your machines?

I see that you have the problem on both Windows XP and Windows 7.

What version of Internet Explorer is running on Windows XP that is experiencing the problem?

Do you still have any machines that work?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, June 28, 2010 7:54 PM
  • We are seeing a similar issue on a Windows 2003 Citrix infrastructure.

Here is what happens:

• The users can open Explorer and see all network drives
    • The users can open Office applications and save to network drives
    • The users can NOT save Office attachments that are opened from Outlook messages. They only see a Desktop and FTP location as save points. No drives.

It's a strange issue.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Can you give me some information about your machines?

I see that you have the problem on both Windows XP and Windows 7.

What version of Internet Explorer is running on Windows XP that is experiencing the problem?

Do you still have any machines that work?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support
    We are running IE8 on the XP computers. The only computers that are displaying the drives correctly are the ones with Office 2007 installed. None of our computers with Office 2010 are showing connected drives (local or mapped) in the dialogue boxes.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Teresa & Jenn,

Have you received any updates from escalation? All users XP and Win7 are using IE8. Just to reiterate this problem occurs on both win7 and XP machines after an upgrade or clean install of office 2010. This issue does not occur on any machines win7/xp that are running office 2003. 

Thanks,

SJMP

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Any updates?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:55 PM
  • nope still waiting
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:57 PM
  • I am also seeing this behavior. Windows XP SP3 upgraded Office 2007 to 2010. Must be a bug or missed feature?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:20 PM
  • I have the same problem,

windows 2003 ent with citrix 4.5

had office 2003 and 2007 before with no issues.  upgrade to office 2010 last weekend and problem surfaced.

call Microsoft outlook tech support and was told it was possibly a GPO issue. 

tested by putting server in and out of GPO.  when out, left panel to drives appear.

waiting for a call back from gpo team.  i will post fix if successful.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:37 PM
  • We do not have GPO policy associated with Office in any way. It is not GPO related. 
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:07 PM
  • fixed the problem with Microsoft support. In my situation, it was a GPO setting that was enabled.  after disabling it, we saw the left panel to access my computer and drives.   I still have no network drives using the drop down box but If you're interested in the fix,  let me know.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:00 PM
  • If I am not mistaken, we are all looking for network drives in the dropdown.  The left pane works fine.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:13 PM
  • The links in the dropdown were changed by design in Office 2010. It seems there is no way to get it changed back to the old behavior without doing code changes to Office 2010.

Tarak Chakraborty

Office Deployment Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:09 PM
  • so do the code changes....

People have been using this method of finding mapped and network drives since i can remember at my org. at least since office 97.  Why in the world would MS decide that this functionality is of no use anymore?

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:07 PM
  • also i don't buy your answer since it isn't everyone in my org with Office 2010 that is experiencing this issue.  I have it installed and my dropdown works as it should and always has. 
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:12 PM
  • That is correct dmeadows - the issue is the network drives in the dropdown. This has nothing to do with the left pane. 

Tarak - is this the official response from MS support on this issue? The drop down box serves no purpose if it does not bring up your drives to open or save to a location. Adding the extra step to click on the left pane is nonsensical. 

Please update - SJMP

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:14 PM
  • The links in the dropdown were changed by design in Office 2010. It seems there is no way to get it changed back to the old behavior without doing code changes to Office 2010.

IMO, that "designed code change" is silly. Can/will this be fixed in a future update/hotfix?

This is extremely crippling to many of our users who have grown quite accustomed to being able to quickly and simply jump to other drive locations (either network or local) through the dropdown box. If I may ask, what purpose does the dropdown box serve, if it can't do this?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:40 PM
  • picnerd,

With the current design you could ask users to click the My Computer icon on the Save As dialog to enumerate the file shares.  There is capability to control which icons and in which order they appear in the dialog, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214.  I do not see any way to customize what appears in the Office Save As dropdown though.

If the issue is a big enough problem, please have your company open a support case with Microsoft.  This issue would need to be escalated for a design change request.  I submitted a bug for it to track it longer term but a change of this order would need to be requested formally through a support case.     

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Gabriel,

The icons on the left are not the issue. And have no place in this discussion. These icons have always existed on the left, just in List view vs. Icon. 

This issue here is that Microsoft made this change in this release - it should not be a design change request. It is this design change that is problematic and holds no value for the drop down function. There is nothing there. It is a bug. 

The issue will be resolved by MS - proactively. Or reactively once the rest of the world starts rolling out office 2010 and realizes that the Drop down bar no longer pulls up local and network resources. The drop down as is currently serves no purpose. 

SJMP

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Gabriel,

Everyone seems to be responding that this is a code change and was done by design.  I take issue with this as i think that a change in the desing code would affect everyone installing Office 2010.  However in my company this is only affecting those who run XP.  All the windows 7 boxes we have that we recently upgraded to office 2010 don't have this issue.  That sounds more like a bug than a "code change".  But feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Daniel

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Daniel - We are running XP, Win 7 64bit and ALL are experiencing this issue. My XP users want Office 2003 back and the Win 7 users want to know why their drop down bar isnt working. 

SJMP

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:36 PM
  • That bites.  Guess a handfull of users here got "lucky".
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:45 PM
  •  

We have rolled out Office 2010 on WinXP SP3 machines throughout our organization and have the same issue.  to be perfectly clear (and in context with the others correctly posting the problem)  The "Look In" drop down menu that used to hold all drives enumerated and accessible in My Computer is gone, all that is there is Desktop

My Documents

FTP Locations

Add/Modify FTP Locations

The same drop down in IE shows all drives properly, but and file open/save drop down in Office 2010 does not.  This happens to everyone from a locked down user to an administrator, and does not seem to have any relation to GPO.  Additionally, I tend to think that there is a disconnect here with some of the support people as SJMP quite clearly said, the drop down as is serves absolutely no purpose - I cannot imagine it was a designed behavior.  A screenshot of the problem is included below or available at http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5291/lookin.gif if it does not show properly in the forum.  When in testing, we assumed that as a user started to save documents MS decided to do more of a 'recent locations' type list in there; however, nothing propagates there at all.  The same is true across all of office in file dialogs, not just word save dialogs.  In the interim users are using the bar at the side and adding favorites to that; however, it has been the cause of many help desk tickets as it has always 'worked this way' and I cannot imagine that MS would keep a dropdown in there at all if it provides no value to the user.  Any help for SJMP, dmeadows and I would be greatly appreciated or if not a timeline of when a hotfix will be issued for this would be great as well.

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Thank you Diamond187. This is precisely the issue we are experiencing. You summed it up very nicely and your screenshot is worth a thousand words. :)
    Monday, August 02, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Have you found a solution to this problem as of yet?  Looking on microsoft support has not offered any fix. 

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Yes - thank you Diamond indeed. That was clear and you nailed the issue. 

Now maybe we can get some attention from MS support. 

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:06 PM
  • SJMP,

The only reason I was suggesting the My Computer icon is that it enables a way to get to the file shares.  I understand the desired option is to have them available from the drop down.  I've taken all the feedback on this forum and have submitted a bug to investigate if the design can be changed back to the way it was.  The bug will be triaged for service pack 1.  There are a lot of other factors around the change and I am not sure if it will get approved but I will make sure it is considered with all of the feedback everyone has given.

Thanks
    gabe 

Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:17 PM
  • You would have to open a Microsoft case and drive for a solution/hotfix to be created since this is being proposed in Sp1 and there is no assurance it would be approved.

Your issue falls into a category that we are not able to resolve using the forums.   Please visit the below link

to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:06 PM
  • All,

I took this issue to SP 1 triage and it did not meet the bar for a fix.  It is clearly a problem but it only occurs on Windows XP and there is a workaround.  The workaround is to click the My Computer icon in the Open/Save dialog.

We will continue to monitor the customer feedback for this issue for consideration in subsequent updates.  Also, if this issue is impacting business use, please open a support case and request a hotfix.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Just adding more to this.

My orginization is also having this problem.  All of the users are running XP and the network drives are missing from the dropdown unless they click on the My Comptuer button.  I myself am running Win7 enterprise 64 bit and have a worse problem.  When I click on dropdown, it shows all of my recent locations.  Since I am helpdesk, I am always going into others PCs over the network.  So, when I click the dropdown, even after selecting My Computer, I get a list of 25 locations, and none of them are the standard network shares, but rather client computers on the network. 

I would really like to see this fixed with SP1, but it sounds like its not going to happen.  I guess all I can do is wait and hope.

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:02 PM
  • All,

I took this issue to SP 1 triage and it did not meet the bar for a fix.  It is clearly a problem but it only occurs on Windows XP and there is a workaround.  The workaround is to click the My Computer icon in the Open/Save dialog.

We will continue to monitor the customer feedback for this issue for consideration in subsequent updates.  Also, if this issue is impacting business use, please open a support case and request a hotfix.

Gabriel,

If you go back and re-read this thread a few folks have stated this is occuring on both windows 7 and xp boxes.  Also to be quite honest I don't think XP is going anywhere anytime soon.

Monday, October 25, 2010 11:35 PM
  • dmeadows,

After discussing this further with the team that owns the File Open/Save dialog they clarified to me that the primary concern for fixing this problem is that it may re-introduce a previous problem.  There was a previous hotfix to address a problem where the File Open/Save/Insert File dialog would hang on initialization.  This could occur for example if there was a non-existent mapped drive, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937.  If they try and fix this new issue it may regress back to that problem.   More than just being a Windows XP only problem it is complex to fix without regressing and causing other problems.

I completely understand that using the My Computer workaround is not intuitive to users.  I'm getting a KB article created to help explain it.  

On my Windows 7 computers I have tested and in the mainline scenarios I tried with the File Open/Save dialog does show the mapped drives in the drop down.  In Windows 7 the dialog has changed quite a bit from XP but it should still show the drives.  It is possible there are scenarios I missed though.  We continue to get more feedback on the issue and I will ensure it considered if there are other opportunities to fix it.  I'll update this thread with the KB article when it is published. 

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Are you running Outlook client as administrator?

By that I mean right click Outlook icon, Compatability, Privilege Level, ensure "Run this program as administrator" is not ticked..

Can you now see network drives?

Friday, November 05, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with my organization. Does anyone know if there is any official documentation from Microsoft stating that this change was done on purpose? Like a release not or something? If I can at least provide my management with that it will help some.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:49 PM
  • dmeadows,

After discussing this further with the team that owns the File Open/Save dialog they clarified to me that the primary concern for fixing this problem is that it may re-introduce a previous problem.  There was a previous hotfix to address a problem where the File Open/Save/Insert File dialog would hang on initialization.  This could occur for example if there was a non-existent mapped drive, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937.  If they try and fix this new issue it may regress back to that problem.   More than just being a Windows XP only problem it is complex to fix without regressing and causing other problems.

I completely understand that using the My Computer workaround is not intuitive to users.  I'm getting a KB article created to help explain it.  

On my Windows 7 computers I have tested and in the mainline scenarios I tried with the File Open/Save dialog does show the mapped drives in the drop down.  In Windows 7 the dialog has changed quite a bit from XP but it should still show the drives.  It is possible there are scenarios I missed though.  We continue to get more feedback on the issue and I will ensure it considered if there are other opportunities to fix it.  I'll update this thread with the KB article when it is published. 

Gabriel,

We are having this issue at my company as well. I have experienced the bug you mentioned above where the dropdown would hang if there was a disconnected mapped drive. I don't think the solution for this is for Microsoft to remove that support entirely. This is something they should look into a fix legitimately. A "fix" for something isn't just removing it and hoping users don't realize it. If nothing else, throw an error message to the user telling them that there is a connection problem with the mapped drive, or just leave this responsibility to the System Administrator to resolve - I know that's what I've done in the past and don't mind it at all.

Friday, December 03, 2010 3:05 PM
  • This is the KB article documenting the issue, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454123.

It is unlikely this issue will get fixed longer term on Windows XP because of the risk of regression.  If the workaround is not sufficient and your company wants to provide business impact, please open a support case and request the issue be escalated for hotfix consideration. 

• Proposed as answer by David E. Long Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:27 PM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hi Gabriel,

I can confirm this issue also occurs on a Windows Server 2008 platform with Office 2010.
    It is definately NOT isolated to Windows XP.
    A fix or eta of a fix for this bug would be much appreciated.

thanks
    Matt

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Threat topic does not specify that this issue is only for drop down list. I am having a simlar problem with Windows 7 64 bit, using Outlook 2007.

Network devices show up in explorer when browsing drives, but when in Outlook all network devices are gone. I tried restarting Outlook several times. Sometimes the devices are listed in Outlook and sometimes they are not.

The issue for me seems intermittent, but why I do not know. I can browse the \\<networkname>\ but not the network drive using it. This is causing a lot of problems at my work place. Trying to send mail with attached documents to customers and such. So far I've found no solution to the issue explained or provided.

PS. Why demand email for hotfixes? :\

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:28 AM
  • My company has also just rolled out Office 2010 Pro Plus and found this "added feature".  We are experiencing both the near empty drive drop down box for all  XP users, and my few Win7 users get the opposite with ever path listed.  I also have the added benefit of no side bar making the work around just that bit more annoying for my customers.

The idea that this is working as intended is almost unbelievable, and has my executive tree asking why we spent the money to upgrade and is there a better solution elsewhere.

I am currently working through the various KB articles and blog posts that I have found.  But any certified fix from Microsoft would be appreciated.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:17 PM
  • So the original post was made in June 2010 - nearly 12 months later and still no fix??? Somebody needs to pull their finger out of their backside.

Monday, May 09, 2011 4:18 AM
  • This is driving me crazy. I just bought a volume license for my organization and they are going to go nuts if I install this. Is there any chance it will ever get fixed, or shall I just leave them all on 2003?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:28 PM
  • I've just rolled out Outlook 2010 only to find that the users can't do what they're used to. What MS calls a design change, I call it a bug with a dash of stupidity. Hopefully all of our posts here has some impact on a future BUG fix.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Doesn't seem like this issue is getting fixed.  Maybe in the next version of office it will work.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:33 PM
  • fixed the problem with Microsoft support. In my situation, it was a GPO setting that was enabled.  after disabling it, we saw the left panel to access my computer and drives.   I still have no network drives using the drop down box but If you're interested in the fix,  let me know.

What was the GPO setting?
    Monday, August 01, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

I am having a similar issue.

It is a fresh build of Windows 7 with Office 2010. When looking in My Computer I can see my mapped drives however, when looking in My Computer from within the attachment window, only local drives are visible along with a mapped drive which has been denied access. The others are nowhere to be seen...

Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:38 AM
  • We are having the same problem. WinXP machines that were just upgraded to Office 2010 do not have any drives showing. Must access My Computer to get to the drives. Any idea when a fix will be available?
    Monday, November 07, 2011 7:22 PM
  • dmeadows,

So basically Microsoft, instead of fixing this issue, is catering to the ignorant IT people that let dead/broken mapped drives sit there instead of fixing this issue for the End-Users that are used to simply clicking the drop down menu and having their mapped drives there?  That seriously makes no sense.  My end-users are going to love me telling them that it can't be fixed.
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:02 PM
  •  

We have rolled out Office 2010 on WinXP SP3 machines throughout our organization and have the same issue.  to be perfectly clear (and in context with the others correctly posting the problem)  The "Look In" drop down menu that used to hold all drives enumerated and accessible in My Computer is gone, all that is there is Desktop

My Documents

FTP Locations

Add/Modify FTP Locations

The same drop down in IE shows all drives properly, but and file open/save drop down in Office 2010 does not.  This happens to everyone from a locked down user to an administrator, and does not seem to have any relation to GPO.  Additionally, I tend to think that there is a disconnect here with some of the support people as SJMP quite clearly said, the drop down as is serves absolutely no purpose - I cannot imagine it was a designed behavior.  A screenshot of the problem is included below or available at http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5291/lookin.gif if it does not show properly in the forum.  When in testing, we assumed that as a user started to save documents MS decided to do more of a 'recent locations' type list in there; however, nothing propagates there at all.  The same is true across all of office in file dialogs, not just word save dialogs.  In the interim users are using the bar at the side and adding favorites to that; however, it has been the cause of many help desk tickets as it has always 'worked this way' and I cannot imagine that MS would keep a dropdown in there at all if it provides no value to the user.  Any help for SJMP, dmeadows and I would be greatly appreciated or if not a timeline of when a hotfix will be issued for this would be great as well.

I am experiencing a very similar issue to this on every windows 7 machine we have. The only difference is most of these machines have nothing in the pull down menu and the ones that do have pathways are pathways that were remembered from being typed into windows explorer.
    • Edited by YeagerD Friday, March 16, 2012 5:31 PM typo
    Friday, March 16, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Wooyoung, what gpo setting did you change? I'm having the same issue as you.

Thanks

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Was there any Solution to this problem?
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:35 PM
  • We had the same problem of our roll out of new Windows 8 systems. Office 2013 (no Outlook) and Outlook 2010 and no network drives showing up.  Ran Outlook in compatibility mode and this seemed to fix our issue. All drives are showing up and can attach files with no problems. 
    • Edited by Tom Cline Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Cline Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:43 PM
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:42 PM
  • Try this:

1 - run regedit
    2. - locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System
    3 - create a new DWORD entry with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1.
    4 - restart your computer
    5 - now you can see and use network drives with these installers or applications.

This is from:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/thread/f0073f80-cedb-4b7a-96b9-20e4b22c2424/

Thank "Jobab" this resolved it for me

-Rene

Friday, May 31, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Didn't work for me... using Virtual Outlook 2010 (utilizing Microsoft Application Virtualization Desktop Client) on a windows xp  and office 2003 environment

Monday, June 03, 2013 9:51 PM
  • The solution I found to work was rather simple but not exactly ideal.  You can just use the left pane to browse to the directory you want.  Once you are in the directory you can right click on the address bar beside the drop down and copy the address.  Then go in to any other directory.  Once in another directory you can paste the address to the bar and then hit enter.  After you do that the location stays in the drop down menu.  I basically just spent 10 minutes finding all the directories I use frequently and copy and pasted them to the drop down and now they all stay. 
    • Proposed as answer by Brandon Helton Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:59 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hey guys,

On my windows 7 64 bit professional build and office 2010 32-bit build I find that if the domain user set as power user level does the following it can work.

load outlook as you would as user

new message

attach file

Switch view to thumbnails

Delete any old drives there (it must be cached somewhere)

Then show the tool bar that allows you to map drives

Re-Map the drives you are missing

This worked on a number of machines.

We found that MAYBE running the WINDOWS EASY TRANSFER WIZARD when migrating users from XP to WIN7 could of brought over the OLD mapped drives or old DATA

Sooo this may help on a per case basis

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:27 PM
  • We used no logon batch files just GPO to map drives.  I recommend after deleting the drives and trying to remap them that if the map ability is greyed out to run gpupdate /force from command line.

Reboot machine and test again.

This worked for me.

Monday, September 30, 2013 6:38 PM
  • In testing, I found that logging in as a separate user showed that the different user account was able to see the mapped drives.  I renamed the original account that was having the problem and logged back in.  The new profile setup had the correct Outlook behavior on mapped drives.  
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:35 AM
  • In testing, I found that logging in as a separate user showed that the different user account was able to see the mapped drives.  I renamed the original account that was having the problem and logged back in.  The new profile setup had the correct Outlook behavior on mapped drives.  
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:36 AM