none
Possible to disable all hyperlinks in email?

Question

• Is it possible to disable all hyperlinks in emails WITHOUT forcing emails to be in plain text? We get too many emails with fake links that show one thing but go somewhere else and would like ti disable them for all users. Considering all the people having problems with the error that claims to have a policy preventing links opening you would think actually doing this on purpose is possible but I have been unable to find a GPO setting to do it with yet.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting this question!

The KB904637 article would not apply to this situation. --Preventing a user to click\open an Html link that is in a received email message.

The allfaq article is the one you want, but it's not going to work with Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010.

The key you need to delete for Outlook 2007\2010 is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command

This will prevent you from being able to open a hyperlink in a received email. --Please, make sure you test it out thoroughly though. To make sure it fills you needs exactly.

For my testing, I exported HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command off as an .reg file and then deleted Command.

Opened an email in my Inbox with a link to web-site. Unable to open the link because Windows can't open the file.

Same link in Word opened fine, but that's as far as I went with seeing if it (reg hack) would affect any application other than Outlook.

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What version of Outlook are you using (2003/2007/2010)?

Refer to these links:

http://allfaq.org/forums/t/51454.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904637/

Hope it helps.

Friday, September 10, 2010 6:46 AM
  • Sorry I forgot to put my version's. We are using 2007 and 2010. The links posted were for 2003. Thanks!
    Friday, September 10, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting this question!

The KB904637 article would not apply to this situation. --Preventing a user to click\open an Html link that is in a received email message.

The allfaq article is the one you want, but it's not going to work with Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010.

The key you need to delete for Outlook 2007\2010 is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command

This will prevent you from being able to open a hyperlink in a received email. --Please, make sure you test it out thoroughly though. To make sure it fills you needs exactly.

For my testing, I exported HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command off as an .reg file and then deleted Command.

Opened an email in my Inbox with a link to web-site. Unable to open the link because Windows can't open the file.

Same link in Word opened fine, but that's as far as I went with seeing if it (reg hack) would affect any application other than Outlook.

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:16 PM