none
Problem attaching office files to outlook

Question

• i have outlook 2007 sp2. i have my drive mapped via webdrive. i unable to attach an excel or word file to my outlook email directly from the mapped drive. if i use the paper clip icon to attach, no message, just nothing happens after i clicked attach.... if i do the drag and drop, i get the message " the operation failed"

i am able to attach the same file directly to my webmail but not my to my email via outlook

this only happens to .doc and .xls files.. i am able to attach pdf files to my emals via outlook and webmail.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• continuing my research.. i am able to attach the files when i saved it to the later format (.xlsx and .docx).

so i'd like to refresh my question to how to configure outlook 2007 sp2 to accept the xlsx and the xls files as attachment.

thank you for your time...

eli@cls
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hi eli,

You can add these .xls and .doc to the following registry entries:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security
    String: FileExtensionsRemoveLevel1
    Values: xls;doc

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security
    String: FileExtensionsRemoveLevel2
    Values: xls;doc 

Also, if you are in a working place, and these settings might be controled by the Group Policy set by your IT person, please get contact with them to confirm with it.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help andunmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Hi eli,

Have you tried my suggestion? How is everything going on?

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:46 AM
  • thank you Max. i am still not able to attach the xls and doc files directly to my email in my outlook.

i want to clarify that this only happens to the files that i pick up from my network drive. if i copy the files to my local drive first, then i am able to attach them. and we use webdrive to map the drive that we store with hyperoffice(vendor providing us file storage, etc.).

also, if i save the xls file to xlsx extension, then i am able to attach the files directly from the mapped drive to outlook email.

eli@cls
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Webdrive? Are the files stored in a webdav server?

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:26 PM
  • thanks for the response Diane. Yes the files are stored offsite, we access them via the web portal (http) and webdrive (webdav) 
    eli@cls
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I thought i saw something referencing this recently but can't find it offhand - will keep looking.

Have you asked hyperdrive support if they know anything? Make sure you tell them about saving the xls file to xlsx extension and it works - as the problem is something related to the file format.

Also - if you added the level1add and remove keys to your registry, delete them. This problem is not related to blocked file types-  xls and doc are not blocked by default and the keys are unnecessary.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:02 PM
  • i've asked hyperoffice support already(no usable response from them yet). i haven't tried webdrive support yet.. but will be doing that if hyperoffice can't find any fix.

i've tried the reg key addition and have already removed it.

thanks Diane for you help.

eli@cls
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:23 PM