none
SSD Performance With a Very Large OST (32GB)

Question

• I have a very large Outlook mailbox with an OST file that is roughly 32GB. The inbox contains roughly 40,000 emails and the overall mailbox contains roughly 100,000 emails. Clearly this is not best practice, but I really don't want to archive anything quite yet due to a large, multi-year project I am working on. I used to be good about sorting my emails into folders, but I frankly don't have the time to do it now. Unfortunately this means a slow start-up into Outlook and a lot of pauses throughout the day.

My question is if upgrading to a solid state drive (SSD) would give me a substantial boost in mailbox performance and overall responsiveness. I use a new workstation grade laptop (HP 8560W) running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 with a quad core i7 processor and 8GB of RAM. The current HDD is a 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black using 3Gb/s SATA.

Thanks!

Justin

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:12 PM

Answers

• Using a SSD drive with such a large ost-file would indeed bring a performance benefit if the SSD has a throughput of >40MB/sec (which is basically any modern SSD drive).

Depending on other disk activity, you could still experience occasional hangs and slowdowns though. You could set a sync filter on specific folders to reduce the size of the ost-file by right clicking on that folder-> Properties-> tab Synchronization

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by jmpreiks Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• Using a SSD drive with such a large ost-file would indeed bring a performance benefit if the SSD has a throughput of >40MB/sec (which is basically any modern SSD drive).

Depending on other disk activity, you could still experience occasional hangs and slowdowns though. You could set a sync filter on specific folders to reduce the size of the ost-file by right clicking on that folder-> Properties-> tab Synchronization

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by jmpreiks Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Ok, thanks for the information. Has anyone here had experience with ost files of this size on an SSD drive?
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

I just wanted to provide an update on this issue for future reference. I replaced my hard drive with a 240GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 solid state drive and the difference it makes is like night and day.

When I first login I can open Outlook within 10 seconds of the desktop background first appearing. I can also sort and search through 100,000 emails almost instantly.

My computer used to take 10 min to start up and load Outlook and ArcMap (a very large application), and now it takes about 2.5 min total. The computer is also very responsive while everything is loading, whereas before you could not do anything else while the computer was starting up and loading applications.

Regards,

Justin

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:57 PM