none
Outlook contacts a problem.

Question

• I recently upgraded my laptop and migrated from a XP to a Windows 7 computer.  I followed the steps for migration utilizing an external HD.  When I went to outlook on the new computer, my contacts are there, but they are not recognized as an address book.  In other words, I go to send an email, and it will not check for my contacts.  Additionally, I tried to set up a group email and it will not allow me to access those contacts in oreder to set those up.  I have since upgraded the new laptop to Outlook 2010, but i still have the same issue.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi

Open your Address book (button right end of Home Tab).  What is listed when you use Tools Options.  If your contacts are not listed, use the Add button to add them to the list (May have to select Custom to do this).

Also when you migrated did your old pst file replace the default one, are your contacts in the Contact folder in the same folder group as the Inbox that receives mail or have you attached the pst as a secondary datasource.  Sounds as though this is OK, just checking.

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:23 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to import NK2 file, it will autocomplete message (Hidden message) in the Associated Contents table of the Inbox on the server. Then the old entries will pop up when you send an e-mail, any recipient who is not already a contact will appear in the suggested contacts folder.

• Open the "Start" menu on your old computer and click on the "My Computer" icon.
    • Go into the "C: drive," then the "Documents and Settings" folder, and double-click on the folder labeled with your username.
    • Navigate to the "Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" directory.
    • Copy the "Outlook.NK2" file to a flash drive or external hard drive.
    • Make sure that Microsoft Outlook is not running on your new computer, and then connect the flash drive or external hard drive to that computer.
    • Navigate to the "Outlook" directory where you found the "Outlook.NK2" file on the old computer.
    • Delete the existing "Outlook.NK2" file, if one exists in the "Outlook" folder.
    • Copy the "Outlook.NK2" file from your flash drive to the "Outlook" folder on your new computer. Now when you open Microsoft Outlook and compose a new message, your previous recipients will be recognized.

For more information about how to move contacts to another computer, you can refer to this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/move-contacts-to-another-computer-HA010242705.aspx

Hope that helps.

Friday, December 17, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Hi

Open your Address book (button right end of Home Tab).  What is listed when you use Tools Options.  If your contacts are not listed, use the Add button to add them to the list (May have to select Custom to do this).

Also when you migrated did your old pst file replace the default one, are your contacts in the Contact folder in the same folder group as the Inbox that receives mail or have you attached the pst as a secondary datasource.  Sounds as though this is OK, just checking.

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:23 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:00 PM