none
Outlook 2010: Internet Mail Not Registered Properly (and other problems)

General discussion

• Hi there. My problem is simple: Outlook 2010 breaks when trying to (i) use internet mail, (ii) access any of the Account settings, and (iii) has the "Upgrade in Progress" box permanently in the Backstage view.

Let me elaborate:

I use Outlook (2007/2010) with GMail via IMAP, and also have an Exchange account attached. When in installed Outlook 2010, I opened Outlook and everything worked perfectly (spend 15 minutes upgrading both data files, etc). I closed Outlook, re-opened it, and things were suddenly broken,

Description (somewhat redundent):

1) When I try to expand the folders in my IMAP account, I receive the message: "Cannot expand this folder. Internet Mail is not registered properly. Re-install and try again"
    2) In the Backstage view, I have the "Upgrade in Progress" notice permanently attached. There is no progress bar, and is static.
    3) I have "Upgrade Outlook Connector". Clicking the button does nothing.
    4) For the "Account Settings" button, I cannot launch any dialogs when I try to select them. It fails silently.
    5) All options in "Mailbox cleanup" also fail silently.
    6) "Rules and Alerts" also fails silently.
    7) When I change to the "Open" tab in the Backstage view, and try to "Open Outlook Data File", I exit Backstage view and receive a "Not implemented" modal dialogue with a single option (OK). This behavior repeats for all options in the Open submenu.
    8) I can launch the Options dialogues fine, and they all seem to work.

System Setup Notes:
    1) The "Upgrade Outlook Connector" option is odd because I uninstalled Outlook Connector.
    2) I originally upgraded with two addins (Outlook Connector, KINAMU connector for SugarCRM), and also with Google Calendar Sync installed. When I experienced the problem, I uninstalled Outlook 2010, then uninstalled both addins (and disabled Google Calendar Sync). I then re-installed. I am now experiencing the same symptoms.
    3) I did a side-by-side install of 2010 with 2007.

I uninstalled or disabled most Add-ins. My addins-list looks like this:

Active Application Addins:
    Microsoft Outlook Social Connector
    Microsoft Sharepoint Server Colleague Import Add-in
    OneNote Notes about Outlook Items (2010 version; I removed 2007)

Inactive Application Addins:
    Business Connectivity Services Add-in
    Microsoft Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing
    Microsoft Exchange Add-in
    Microsoft Office Groove Proxy for Outlook Add-in
    Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service
    Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin
    OneNote Notes about Outlook Items (2010)
    Outlook Change Notifier

Disabled Application Addins:
    Windows Search Emailer Indexer

In other words, I don't know what else to do. Uninstalling and re-installing did not work - problem occured again.

• Changed type msjgriffiths Friday, November 20, 2009 4:46 PM Fixed.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• I have got Your same problem: Outlook 2010 breaks when trying to (i) use internet mail, (ii) access any of the Account settings, and (iii) has the "Upgrade in Progress" box permanently in the Backstage view.
    But my accounts are pop not imap and the configuration is stand alone without exchange server.
    My outllok 2010 crashes when the "Upgrade in Progress" is at the beginning.
    I think that we should reinstall outllok but i am afraid from losing the accounts because i have forgotten the password.
    Have You found a solution???
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:47 PM
  • I have got Your same problem: Outlook 2010 breaks when trying to (i) use internet mail, (ii) access any of the Account settings, and (iii) has the "Upgrade in Progress" box permanently in the Backstage view.
    But my accounts are pop not imap and the configuration is stand alone without exchange server.
    My outllok 2010 crashes when the "Upgrade in Progress" is at the beginning.
    I think that we should reinstall outllok but i am afraid from losing the accounts because i have forgotten the password.
    Have You found a solution???

No - and I actually did the uninstall/re-install. Everything transferred fine though (didn't delete settings).

But the problem re-occured.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Fixed: I did a few things, so I'm not sure what worked or not.

However, I would suggest Deleting your Profile (through the Mail icon in the Control Panel), and then Repairing the Office 2010 Installation (via Add/Remove Programs).

I also went through the Registry and (1) deleted every mention of "Outlook Connector", and changed every path that referenced Outlook at "\Office12\outlook.exe" to "\Office14\outlook.exe"

I suspect eliminating the profile is enough, however.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:43 PM
  • This is the solution. And Outlook 2010 remembers your accounts and settings even though you uninstall.

1 - Uninstalled Office 2010
    2 - Rebooted
    3 - Re-installed Office 2010
    4 - Rebooted
    5 - Loaded Outlook 2010

Be aware, that it seems to be word 2007 used together with Outlook 2010 that was causing the problem for me.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:57 PM
  • I realize that this is an old thread, but I thought my answer might help others with the same problem. I started experiencing the same issues as msjgriffiths after installing Office 2007 over Office 2010 in an effort to get an old add-in to work with Word 2010. I downloaded and installed the Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies, and now Outlook 2010 works fine.
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:04 AM