none
Moving Outlook Express messages to Outlook 2010 onto new computer

Question

• I am not clear on Microsoft's instructions moving Outlook Express messages to Outlook 2010 onto a new Window 7 machine. I have located the STORE and copied the STORE folder to the desktop of the Windows 7 new computer. The instructions indicate that you should start Outlook Express on the new machine but I am not clear on how that takes place.

Can I just copy the Outlook Express folder in the PROGRAMS\OUTLOOK folder from the XP machine to the Windows 7 machine and expect it to open Outlook Express on the Windows 7 machine?

From the opened Outlook Express I am to locate the STORE that I copied ( in this caet to the Desktop) and Outlook Express on the Windows 7 machine know where to find the STORE. From there the instructions have me use the Import wizard and I assume it converts the message to Outlook 2010 format 

Any clarification on this process would be appreciated.

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. 

It seems that you were following the steps in this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/import-your-messages-or-account-from-outlook-express-to-outlook-HA001094387.aspx

The current problem is that Outlook Express is included in Windows XP, but not Windows 7. So, to do this, we can follow the steps below:

First, we need to first install Windows Live on the Windows 7 computer to have Windows Mail installed on the computer. If you have not installed Windows Live Mail on Windows 7, please download Windows Live Essentials from the link below and install it first.

http://windows.microsoft.com/windows-7-email-calendar-photo-video-programs

Second, follow the steps in this link to import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-messages-into-Windows-Mail-from-Outlook-Express

Note: The steps in the link above are for Windows XP and Windows Vista, we can also use the steps in Windows XP and Windows 7.

Third, try to import the message from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 2010:

In Outlook 2010, click File > Open > Import > Import Internet Mail and Addresses > Outlook Express…. or Windows Mail.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:24 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

Monday, July 19, 2010 9:19 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  You're solution is the farthest I've gotten so far but step 3 is not completing.  I downloaded Windows Live Mail and am able to see my Outlook Express folders in it.  After step 3 it appears to be loading the folders into Outlook 2010 as each is displayed and the number of entries counts up on the screen.  When done I get a browse window that says "Please select the mail folder for Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail".  I've been able to find the folders at

Mike/appdata/local/identities/microsoft/windows live mail/storage folders/

and then click ok but I immediately get an error window with "Mail folders could not be opened.  If another application is using this file, please close it and try again'

I don't have anything else open.  I even re-booted first.

I also see the Outlook Express .dbx files at

Mike/appdata/local/identities/{7...}/microsoft/outlook express

When I try that, that gives me the same error.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Thank you for the response. After I exhausted my efforts I call Microsoft Support. They remote into the computer and did basically the same thing that you suggested. Microsoft got the same results the MikeN-WI where it appeared to be moving the messages. The message did not arrive into the Outlook 2010 account. After an hour and half with Microsoft my customer gave up and asked me to retrieve the address book and import. I did that successfully but not the messages.

I suspect the messages are going somewhere but not in the STORE folder for the Outlook 2010.

Thanks again.

Ron McGrath

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:28 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  Moving from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2010.  When I use the 2010 import feature it spins its wheels and says it could not find the files.  Why does it not allow me to browse to the file location?  Seems to be an oversight.  Understandable given how old Express is, but a serious inconvenience right now.  I will attempt the solution posted above and report back with my results.  Please post alternative solutions.

Best,

Tim

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Ditto.  I am moving Outlook Express 6 .dbx files to new Outlook.  The Wizard does not allow a browse.  Smarty Wizard goes to search on its own.  I don't know where it is pointed, so unable to save the .dbx files in appropriate directory for an import action. 
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Hi Ron,

I tested this in house and I followed Sally's steps above all but I changed the third step.

Now that you have the mail in Windows Live Mail, I used the steps below to get move my mail into Outlook 2010. 

Note:  this requires that Outlook 2010 is already installed on your Windows 7 machine and to make it easier create your Outlook profile before this.

Third: 

From Windows Live Mail click File > Export > Messages > choose Microsoft Exchange

Once you have completed this wizard open Outlook 2010

In the Folder List you should now see a folder called Storage folders

Under that you may have Imported Folder > Local Folders

Once you expand the folders above you should see all the folders from Windows Live Mail

Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Matite Friday, March 16, 2012 5:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Teresa,

This seemed to do the trick!  Thanks much.  The only thing I can add is that the menu bar was hidden when I installed Windows Live Mail from the link above.  Need to turn that on before you see the 'File' option.

Now the next item I'm tryting to tackle is how to change the default Outlook 2010 account that automatically was set up on the initial transfer from an IMAP account to a POP3 account.  Nothing on the internet shows me how to do this.  You can go the other way but not IMAP to POP3.  Do I have to wipe my IMAP account and start from scratch?

Thanks again!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Hi MikeN-WI,

You will need to create a new profile for your POP account.

Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I can't get this to work.  I keep getting an error "The export could not be performed. Your default MAPI store could not be opened."  I have tried downloading and reinstalling MAPI, but it doesn't help.  Please help.  I really need help.
    Friday, August 06, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Hi NZate,

It sounds like you do not have Outlook installed on the machine?  If you have it on the machine try setting up your Outlook profile and then try exporting.

Monday, August 09, 2010 7:42 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I followed the steps above, but after importing the OE messages to Windows Live Mail I can't export them to Outlook.   I get the same error message as Nzate.  Outlook is installed, and is set as the default.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Hi RChaffee,

Make sure that Outlook is set as your default mail client.  To do this in Outlook 2010 follow these steps:

1. Open Outlook
    2. Click on File > Options
    3. On the General options > Start up Options > check "Make Outlook the default program form E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar
    4. Once you have done this, test the export from Windows Live Mail.

Monday, August 16, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Thanks Teresa.

As I posted, Outlook is already set as my default email.  I checked several times.  I still cannot get the Live Mail export to work.  I am trying to use Outlook 64 bit and import my email messages from the old computer's Outlook Express 6.0.

I copied the entire folder into an Outlook Express folder in Documents, but the Outlook Import Wizard did not find them.  I found this string and followed the instructions to import them first to Windows Live Mail, but the Live Mail Export crashes each time with the error message about MAPI.

Regards,

RChaffee

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Hi RChaffee,

Thank you for the information.  I was able to reproduce this issue when exporting to Outlook 2010 if Outlook 2010 is 64 bit. This works fine if Outlook 2010 is 32 bit.

I have filed a bug to the Product Group and hopefully this will be considered in a future update. 

Unfortunately the only workaround that I am aware of at this time would be to uninstall Outlook 2010 64 bit and install the 32 bit version. 

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:47 AM
  • was this ever fixed?  i am in the same situation (need OE files imported to Outlook 2010 64 bit).  i don't want to start the process unless it's fixed.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I have had the same trouble.  After trying to go to Microsoft for support for my brand new computer, I was essentially told I would have to pay for contacting Microsoft.  I then went to Best Buy to have the Geek Squad look at it.  They said it cannot be done.  I have searched online to find the same directions and problems mentioned above.  Eventually, I found software that I had to purchase for $70 that converted all my Outlook Express DBX files to PST files.  Everything worked extremely well after use of the software.  I wish I did not have to go that route, but that is how I got my mail moved.

Now, I am trying to move my contacts.  None of the processes I have found are working.  Again, one goes to the Import function of Outlook 2010, but there is no choice regarding which file to import.  I have all the information from my old computer with Outlook Express on an external hard drive that is searchable by the new computer.  I still need to move the address folder.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?  Any help at all would be appreciated as nothing I am trying is working.  Thank you.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Hi RChaffee,

Thank you for the information.  I was able to reproduce this issue when exporting to Outlook 2010 if Outlook 2010 is 64 bit. This works fine if Outlook 2010 is 32 bit.

I have filed a bug to the Product Group and hopefully this will be considered in a future update. 

Unfortunately the only workaround that I am aware of at this time would be to uninstall Outlook 2010 64 bit and install the 32 bit version. 

Teresa

Has Microsoft worked out a resolution to the 64 Bit version of Outlook as yet?

If I have installed the complete Office 2010 Professional Plus suite 64 Bit, do I simply uninstal Outlook and reinstal Outlook 32 bit?

Thanks

john

Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Hi John,

There is currently no resolution to the 64 bit version of Outlook.  Yes, if you uninstall your 64 Bit Office, then you can install the 32 Bit. 

Monday, November 29, 2010 7:53 PM
  • I am a support tech at a software company who has to get on remotely to customers pcs to do my job.

While I am not sure if this might address the problem whereby Outlook is 'unable to see, or otherwise access' the *.dbx files - I have seen similar support issues where customers call me to say the software I support is 'unable to see, or otherwise' access certain files on the computer.

Case in point, if one installs SQL server 2005 express to a win 7 computer (regardless if 32-bit or 64-bit), when the install is run as admin (eg, right-click the sqlserver exe installer file, then 'Run As (true) Admin' - its possible that some of the files you installed as true admin, are not able to be properly accessed by the very app you just installed!!!

In most cases, finding the files in question and changing permissions so 'everyone' has full control - fixes this problem.  Again, no guarantees this is the problem here with Outlook - but Ive seen this similar problem over and over again.  In my opinion its a bug in Windows 7.

Sincerely,

Greg Aiken

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Hi RChaffee,

Can we install the 32-bit version of Outlook 2010, follow the steps above to move Outlook Express 6 messages to Outlook 2010, uninstall 32-bit Outlook 2010, and then install 64-bit Outlook 2010 and still have the messages?
    Friday, April 29, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Second, follow the steps in this link to import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-messages-into-Windows-Mail-from-Outlook-Express

Note: The steps in the link above are for Windows XP and Windows Vista, we can also use the steps in Windows XP and Windows 7.

In the ~year since Sally's post, has Microsoft created instructions specifically for Windows Live Mail and Win 7?  I realize that Sally said these Vista instructions apply to 7, but it's somewhat disconcerting to follow instructions for Windows Mail and Vista when you're using Windows LIVE Mail and 7.

Friday, April 29, 2011 4:31 PM
  • http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert_oe.asp says "When you export from Windows Live Mail to Outlook, the message headers are missing."

Is that true?  So if we follow the OE-to-WLM-to-Outlook instructions above, we'll lose all the To, From, Date, and Subject fields???  If true, yikes.  Say it ain't so.

Friday, April 29, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Can we install the 32-bit version of Outlook 2010, follow the steps above to move Outlook Express 6 messages to Outlook 2010, uninstall 32-bit Outlook 2010, and then install 64-bit Outlook 2010 and still have the messages?
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Why is that Microsoft has always made it such a P.I.T.A. to move between ITS OWN email systems? You'd think that it would be an essential component of Outlook 2010 to provide an intuitive, working import utility for other Microsoft email programmes. Frankly, it shouldn't be necessary for this thread to exist. Outlook 2010 should be able to import a bunch of .dbx files and a .wab and Bob's your uncle.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Yep.  Terrible design.  I run into this everytime I have to migrate someone's system.  Having to jump through hoops to get a migration between the old basic client, and the new suite should not be necessary.  Whoever is responsible for this must never use their own products.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:47 PM
  •  Frankly, it shouldn't be necessary for this thread to exist. Outlook 2010 should be able to import a bunch of .dbx files and a .wab and Bob's your uncle.

Absolutely right!  And as someone commented earlier, you should be given a browse facility to point Outlook 2010 to the directory holding those files.  What could be simpler?
    Monday, July 11, 2011 1:24 PM
  • I just want to inform everyone that I SUCCESSFULLY TRANSFERRED ALL MY CONTACS FROM OUTLOOK EXPRESS ON ONE MACHINE (running Windows XP), TO OUTLOOK 2010 (64bit) ON ANOTHER RUNNING WINDOWS 7 (professional).

This was done by exporting the contacts to a USB memory stick in WAB format (mark all you contacts in OE and go file(I believe it is)->Export->Address book (WAB)), then exporting them to Windows Contacs on the other machine (this part you'll have to think about a bit yourselves as I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it's done largely as I just described). From there it was possible to import them all at once as described in this link: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/382 .

I really hope noone's ever going to struggle with this stupid problem again.

When it comes to transferring e-mails, however, that's another story. I haven't done that, and I have no idea how/if it can be done (for the 64bit version of Outlook 2010). It's not very important for me right now, and I'm not going to do it.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Hello David,

1. THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST. When I read the $70 dollar software converter a light went off. I installed Outlook 2000 on the machines that have OE and it immediately imported email and address books into a PST file that does import into Outlook 64 bit. I mean who wants to uninstall Outlook 64 and install Outlook 32 just to be able to import into Window Live Mail and export to some store that only 32 bit versions can import. Makes my head spin.

2. I have in the past exported the OE Address Book into a CSV file. Outlook can then import the CSV file.  If it is a complicated OE address Book (groups etc.) it can get nasty but a simple address book exports and imports fine.  The browse function is even available in Outlook 2010 for CSV files so when you  select import a file and designate csv you can browse to it. I hope that helps you as much as you helped me.

3. A grumble to one of the other posters: Just because OE is an old program does not make it okay that MS left out a way to browse for an OE store. OE is their product and lots of people still use it. It was just lazy programming or bad quality control that let Outlook 2010 slide without a browse function for OE when it is there for other file types. Sorry I grumbled on your dime but I am too lazy to post twice. :)

Good Hunting,

Sam

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Hi sam,

Your idea is not bad but how do you deal with "received" dates that are now displayed as the date of the import?

(of course within the messages the dates are still the original ones)

Thank you for any suggestions. This thing is more of a challenge to me than I ever thought possible for something I had deemed pedestrian!

Frank

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Hi MikeN-WI,

You will need to create a new profile for your POP account.

Phaath to Answer ??
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Has this issue been sorted yet. 

I have been trying to help a friend open her outlook express emails on her new PC which is windows 7 - the steps described above are far too technical for her to manage and she lives too far away for me to go and help.

Surely Microsoft have come up with an easy solution for non technically minded people

Friday, December 02, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Hi RChaffee,

I have found something that might help with this bug report.  I just posted it in this thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2007deploymentcompatibility/thread/851f6553-7cc1-45fe-8268-128d35e704ee/ 
    It is looking in the Windows Mail folder instead of Windows Live Mail, within AppData.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi Guys, after many hours of trying and using the advice from this forum which only worked up to a point, I finally managed to get it all working 100% and I would like to share this with you.

I am using XP Outlook Express and also have Office 2010 installed which comes with Microsoft Outlook. I have never used Outlook as I was quite happy with OE.

I partitioned my hard drive and installed Windows 7 and Office 2010 on the partition.

I then went back to my XP partition and opened Outlook for the very first time, went through the procedure but did not create an account. Just wanted to get the programs interface to open. XP detected that I had Outlook open and asked if I wanted to move the information across and I said yes as this would create the .PST file without paying for any software to do the converting from .dbx to .PST  The emails were moved across and all my folders were now visible in Outlook.

The next step was to find the .pst file which had just been created and it was in "My Documents" in the "Outlook" Folder.

I then coppied the .pst file which was about 2.5GB onto a flash drive and restarted my pc in the Windows 7 partition. Opened up Outlook located the Store Folder where Outlook keeps the messages and pasted the .pst file.

Next step was to go to File - Open - Import/Export - From a File - select .pst and this lets you browse to where the .pst was pasted, and after this it took about 15 minutes, I could see all the folders appearing it the list.

Hope this helps. It sure did for me.

• Proposed as answer by cmoprint Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Hello EK:  I am trying something very similar, but it's not working.  I built a new W7U machine, and am trying to transfer OE messages from the old XP machine.  I installed Outlook on the XP, just to get the dbx into a pst file.  Saved latter to thumb.  I am confused by your sentence here,

"I then coppied the .pst file which was about 2.5GB onto a flash drive and restarted my pc in the Windows 7 partition. Opened up Outlook located the Store Folder where Outlook keeps the messages and pasted the .pst file."

Where is the "Store Folder" in W7U?  How does opening Outlook in the W7U machine help me locate?  Did you mean in the C: drive explorer window somewhere?

Paul

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Hi Ron and Teresa,

Just to let all Know I have manage to Import from Outlook Express to my Hotmail account Successfully AND THEN Export to Outlook 2010 -> Also Succesfully, BUT - The problem I Found was was after "From Windows Live Mail clickFile > Export > Messages > choose Microsoft Exchange" as per your Instructs, which are fine, THE WISARD GIVE's You an Option to Export ALL or Selected Folders. I Selected the "Selected Folders" option and then Selected the "Imported Folder" and clicked on OK! The result was that it exported that folder only!! IE It DID NOT AUTOMATICALLY Select the sub folders as well. Once I had Highlighted (Selected) all the Required Folders and Clicked on OK, It DID then Export ALL the Selected Folders to OUTLOOK 2010. What a Relief!!

THE TRICK IS to Make sure ALL required Folders are selected.

Many thanks to ALL for your Input - Graham

PS. I also Made Sure that Outlook 2010 was open/Active when I did the export!!!

ALSO this was for Outlook 2010 v14.0.6112.5000 (32 bit) version

• Edited by Shrike49 Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:58 AM
  • This Solution is the one that works 100 percent, although i did no partitioning, i followed Eddie Kruger's advice and installed Outlook 2010 onto the old XP computer that was running Outlook Express, then opened Outlook 2010 and started the set up but without creating an account. Once i had declined creating an account i was asked if i would like to import my existing files from OE i clicked yes and the process began. (the import process was not visible it must have been done in the background but after about 20 mins i checked the inbox expand chevron and saw all my old folders were there. Then i checked contacts folder and that was also populated. The next step was to plug in my pen drive and go to documents > outlook > data files and send to drive E (which was the drive letter for my pen drive) and after progress bar finished i safely removed the pen drive. Over to the new Computer running Windows 7 & Outlook 2010 opened documents located the Outlook file opened it and copy and pasted the data pst file from my pen drive and then opened Outlook 2010 then Clicked File > Open >  Import > "Import from a file" and browsed to the outlook pst file cliked open and then watched as the process continued, roughly 15 minuites later i had all my old files into a new subfolder i had created.  Works 100 percent. Thanks Eddie.

• Edited by cmoprint Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:13 PM
    Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:01 PM
  • So i basically stumbled upon this solution completely by accident. I was stuck at the third step like most people unable to export to outlook 2010 64 bit. Instead of trying to export as microsoft exchange file type i exported as microsoft windows live mail file type and just created a new folder on the c drive. Then i tried importing from office 2010 again in the hopes i might get an option to browse to the files. No need, the import just started automatically on it's own in the background. Hope others are as lucky as i was!
    On a side note if there are emails in the storage folders area of windows live mail they may not export, i just made sure i copied all the emails into the main folders.
    • Edited by pmsiuser Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:32 AM
  • So why did you move the file from the pen drive to the computer.  Couldn't you have imported from the pen drive?
    • Proposed as answer by wafl_scan Monday, December 10, 2012 2:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by wafl_scan Monday, December 10, 2012 2:56 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 10:56 PM
  • You can try DBX to PST converter tool to recover & move Outlook Express messages to Outlook 2010. http://www.perfect.dbxconverter.com/
    Saturday, March 02, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Attempt Free DBX Converter which is feasible to know about how to convert Outlook Express to Outlook 2007 or 2010? Shift and convert DBX files in any of the format-PST/MSG/EML or RTF, seize this service affordably. No need to pay cost for 15 item conversion from .dbx to .pst. Get details regarding DBX to PST Converter tool and run on any Windows Outlook seamlessly.

http://www.convertoutlookexpress.com/

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:27 AM
  • I just emailed the emails i wanted from outlook express to myself. Then dragged and dropped them from the email i sent myself, into my inbox of outlook 2010. problem solved. You can do this in bulk too. 
    Monday, June 09, 2014 12:48 AM