none
Office 2010 - "Word cannot print, there is no printer installed"

Question

• Hi All,

Been having a problem recently on many PC's at a site where they run Windows 7 x64 with Office 2010 x86.

Printing usually happens with no issue, however sometimes when they click the print icon, (in the 'file-->print' section) it will display 'word cannot print, there is no printer installed'.

The client tells me they can go to control panel and print a test page successfully, but word/excel will not print. In order to resolve the issue they close the program, reopen it and printing works straight away. Today I asked them to restart the print spooler, instead of closing/reopening word, this did not resolve the issue. closing and reopening did fix the issue.

So far they have experienced the issue with Word and Excel only, however they don't use the other programs a great deal.

The printers are distributed with group policy. In addition to network printers they use PDF Factory (which is like PDF Creator).

I have been unable to reproduce the issue.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Friday, December 03, 2010 10:23 AM

Answers

• ATK, I wondered, are you running x64 or x86 Office?

I noted in the event log on the client that there was an application error with the following text in it:

Faulting application name: splwow64.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd3ca
    Faulting module name: hpc6r107.dll, version: 0.3.1544.8232, time stamp: 0x4c6af57c
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000076e77
    Faulting process id: 0x1964
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb9b5495cdb551
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\splwow64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\hpc6r107.dll
    Report Id: 0aea246b-07d0-11e0-8b2c-4487fccbdc8f

Some looking around gave me the idea that this was an issue with 64 Bit Windows running 32 Bit Applications... I have removed the 32 Bit version of Office that was being run and have reinstalled 64 Bit, I'll let you know how we go... 32 Bit was chosen originally as we couldn't get access to 64 Bit BCM, now we have 64 Bit BCM so we can try this out.

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Sorry, I should have reported back, changing this to 64 Bit did fix the issue.

Thanks!

- Matt

• Marked as answer by TheITCrowd Monday, December 27, 2010 4:39 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 4:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description , I understand that you got message ”word cannot print, there is no printer installed” when clicked the print icon.

If you do not have a default printer, use the Add Printer Wizard to install one.

Follow these steps:

Click Start and then click Devices and Printers.

Under Printer Tasks, click Add a printer, and then follow the instructions to install your default printer driver.

Note If your printer model is not listed in the Manufacturers and Printers lists, see the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for an updated driver. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx

If your printer is not on the HCL, contact the printer manufacturer for drivers and instructions.

Sincerely,

Harry 

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by TheITCrowd Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:38 AM
    Monday, December 06, 2010 8:46 AM
  • Hi Harry,

Apologies for not replying sooner. Thank you for your suggestion above.

The printers are definately installed on the client, they are usually able to print using the Microsoft Products, just intermittantly this fault pops up. The printers are distributed using Group Policy, and they always have a default printer selected, this doesn't change from the usual printer they print to in their respective areas.

The issue appears not based on which particular printer is selected either, they could be trying to print to one of the office printers, or to PDF Factory, a third party product they use to create PDFs.

It doesn't happen all the time, it only happens maybe once or twice a day, other times they can printer with no issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

• Proposed as answer by richardrr Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:49 PM
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:42 AM
  • We have exactly the same kind of problem in our site. It is also quite common problem and we have not been able to resolve it. Restarting the spooler does not help. We are using printing queues on Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2008 x64 servers. Our clients are Windows 7 64bit Enterprise. We haven't been able to pin point any common thing between different printer models or printer drivers. Windows event logs does not tell any error messages about this case.

I think that the problem has something to do with loading the profile as when printer queue is deleted from the client and then added again the printing works as it should. Print problem also concerns other programs as well. Not just the Word 2010. And what is really strange, printing the test page works even when the printer does not otherwise work at all.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:32 AM
  • That sounds very much like our problem ATK.

While word is opening and refusing to print with the error "word cannot print, there is no printer installed” the client tells me that they can open devices and printers and print a test page from the printer!

We didn't have to remove and reinstall the printer though, as it sounds like you needed to, we found that by closing and reopening word, excel or whatever program has the problem the issue resolves... until next time!

I can find nothing in the event logs either!

Most unusual!

Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:32 PM
  • ATK, I wondered, are you running x64 or x86 Office?

I noted in the event log on the client that there was an application error with the following text in it:

Faulting application name: splwow64.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd3ca
    Faulting module name: hpc6r107.dll, version: 0.3.1544.8232, time stamp: 0x4c6af57c
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000076e77
    Faulting process id: 0x1964
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb9b5495cdb551
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\splwow64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\hpc6r107.dll
    Report Id: 0aea246b-07d0-11e0-8b2c-4487fccbdc8f

Some looking around gave me the idea that this was an issue with 64 Bit Windows running 32 Bit Applications... I have removed the 32 Bit version of Office that was being run and have reinstalled 64 Bit, I'll let you know how we go... 32 Bit was chosen originally as we couldn't get access to 64 Bit BCM, now we have 64 Bit BCM so we can try this out.

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Sorry, I should have reported back, changing this to 64 Bit did fix the issue.

Thanks!

- Matt

• Marked as answer by TheITCrowd Monday, December 27, 2010 4:39 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 4:39 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983035

This worked for me, Windows 7 Professional x64 with x86 Office 2010 H&B. 

• Proposed as answer by Origtopcat Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:02 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Microsoft Word/Excel Starter on Windows 7
    REF:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010se-word/printing-problems-when-using-starter-2010/628a0d0c-adc7-4922-aabe-d17c0e565085?page=1&tm=1306164612201
    1. From the Start Menu, go to the Office Starter 2010 folder
    2. Right-click on the shortcut for Word and left-click Properties
    3. Go to the Shortcut tab and click the Advanced button
    4. Make sure the Run as Administrator checkbox is checked (mine was not)
    5. Do the same for Excel
    6. You might need to open the app two times before the UAC message appears, but you will be able to see your default printer after that
    Cheers,
    -Steve C.
    This Fixed it for me after everything else failed.
    :o) Phil
    • Proposed as answer by PhilSammons Monday, May 23, 2011 3:43 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Hi, I've got the same problem and have tried your solution but I can't click on Run as Administrator (it is in light grey).  Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:44 PM
  • me too! please advise
    Shmedlap
    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I have the same problem, and when after I get the "Word cannot print, there is no printer installed", I then choose ADD PRINTER (the only choice I have).  Then an error pop-up comes up and says NO PRINTERS can be found on the network/domain.  Weird!

But here's the kicker, I actually have the following:

1. Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
    2. MS Office 2010 (32-bit) - Microsoft Office Home and Business

MS Word printing used to work. Not it stopped. Excel is still okay though. What is my problem?  Any assistance appreciated!

Josh

• Edited by IT BRUIN Friday, November 11, 2011 9:08 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I'm so frustrated - I'm having the same problem and none of these solutions seem to work...I'm getting ready to throw my computer and the4 printer against the wall!!!  Any help???

• Proposed as answer by ukwebb Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by David Wolters Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:14 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Me too... Office PC1 Can print from notepad, Can print test page. Cant print ro excel, word, adobe, internet explorer nor from outlook.  Window 7 premium 64bit.

Have a netwrok printer. 

Office PC 2  with Windows 7 premium 64 bit works fine.

Office PC 1 - uswed to print... but stopped in the last weeK or so.    Log files are clear.. Have reinstalled office 2010, have reinstalled printer, have updated prnter diriver and firmware... no joy. running out of ideas

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:43 AM
  • I have a new HP with W7, and an HP printer.  Not networked...direct.  Have same problem.  Couldn't be an HP prob.  Has to be internal to W7.  No problem printing anything else, just from Word/Excel Starter.  If i reboot the computer, it comes back, ONCE.  After that, no worky.  

This is a systemic issue, affecting many users.  Why does it take the eggheads at MS so long to address simple issues like this?  They should be able to offer a fix in a few days with all their manpower and money!

Bill F Johnson
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Similar problem. Although the 64 bit Vs 32 bit solution is the only one that seems to work, it's double-dutch to me. I'm just Joe Bloggs the home user!

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and recently bought a new wireless HP printer. After a struggle I got it set up and it worked.... sort of.
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

After many attempts I've established:

* the printer screen shows "connected"
    * the laptop also shows the printer as "connected"
    * pressing "print" from Word /Excel (Starter version) error message "printer not found" or printer not connected.

I can print perfectly from within Internet Explorer, or even from the Notepad so both the printer and the wireless network work.
    It seems to be Office Starter that is causing problems

a) is this likely/possible?
    b) what else can I do/check?

ps - I've read that Firewalls can cause issues, but swiching off the FW does not help.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Follow this and it fixed it for me

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983035

It's a regedit so be very careful, Office 2010 seems to disable the printers after a major crash, this edit fixes it.

Hope this helps.

Mikey

• Proposed as answer by Uniquegeek Monday, January 13, 2014 5:47 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Hi All,

This error is caused by

1. having more than two antiviruses --- Disable one

2. If you use Karspe.. pause protection and restart your machine.. word doc will print

Regards,

Saturday, February 04, 2012 4:55 PM
  • I had the same problem caused by avast antivirus free edition , i tried run as administrator and the regfix but nothing worked , i then disabled all avast shields which solved the problem.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 8:09 PM
  • I had the same problem on certain PCs across the system and in all cases fixed it by restarting the spooler service from within  the account  that was experiencing the problem.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 11:40 AM
  • The spooler service is not specific to the account. There is only one instance of the spooler service running per machine.
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 7:19 PM