none
Shape protection and/or layer properties prevent complete execution of this command

Question

• Hello,

I'm creating a sequence diagram in Visio 2010.  Each time I drag a message object, I need to go to the developer tab => protection and click none so I can edit the text.  How can I permanently remove the prptection so I just drag a message object over without needed to remove protection.

Monday, June 07, 2010 9:14 PM

Answers

• By default the message shape’s text is protected but why are you modifying the text in this manner? When you double click on the message shape it displays various properties of the shape including the label for the shape. In other words you can modify the name that is displayed for the message shape. If you change the behavior by modifying the double click to edit the text then you receive the message dialog you mentioned. If you feel there is not enough room for all of desired text you can always add a text box for the object.

James W. - Microsoft Support
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, June 11, 2010 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:16 PM

All replies

• That's not the way to get text into these shapes!

Select the shape and right-click -> Properties.

Or have the UML Properties window open: ribbon UML -> Properties (tick)

Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Engineering and software stencils and applications for Visio - http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 12:04 AM
  • By default the message shape’s text is protected but why are you modifying the text in this manner? When you double click on the message shape it displays various properties of the shape including the label for the shape. In other words you can modify the name that is displayed for the message shape. If you change the behavior by modifying the double click to edit the text then you receive the message dialog you mentioned. If you feel there is not enough room for all of desired text you can always add a text box for the object.

James W. - Microsoft Support
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, June 11, 2010 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:16 PM
  • I'm trying to use a cross functional template and removed the protection setting to increase the height and width of the flowchart. But when I try to adjust the height/width nothing happens. I get the same error message as the user above:"Shape protection and/or layer properties prevent complete executiton of this command" when I try to Ungroup the settings. What should I do? Since this is a template can it not be modified? I'm using Visio 2003 Standard.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Don't ungroup shapes, that is almost certain to break them. The protection is usually there for a reason as well.

I don't have Visio 2000 installed any more but I have tried this in Viso 2003, it should be the same or very similar.

Assumng you have a horizontal flowchart (if you have vertical then just swap vertical and horizontal in my comments) then selecting the whole frame gives you a grey handle at each corner and a grey handle at the mid-point of each horizontal vertice. These can't be used for resizing; they just move the whole frame. However, at the midpoint of each vertical there is a green handle, use these to adjust the frame width.

Each functional row has a header at the left-hand side, selecting that shows you four green handles, the right-hand one adjusts the width of the headers, the top and bottom ones adjust the height of that row, and the height of the entire frame adjusts to suit.

HTH.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ Engineering and software shapes for Visio.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:11 PM