none
Outlook 2013 stop working

Question

• Hi

i just installed a fresh windows 8 and office 2013 pro

we run exchange 2010 

every time i start oulook it just stop working  i cant go in " safe mode" either i get errror microsoft Outlook stop working

anyone know something about this, no antivirus running yet on this computer

/romhill

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've been having this exact same issue. I haven't found a solution, but in my case i have found a workaround. Let's start with the workaround, and then i can describe my use-case for possible further investigation.

When Outlook starts synchronizing mail from the Exchange 2010 server into the local copy on my computer, it crashes. I've tried all the possible solutions mentioned, including safemode, and a complete reinstall of the entire computer. In the end i ended up removing local caching of mail in my Outlook, and that did the trick.

So get to your mail accounts through your mail settings (you can open them somewhere without having to go into Outlook). On Windows 8 you press Windows key + W, and then search for "Mail". Go to the account setting for your Exchange account. You should now see a screen showing a field for "Server" and a field for "User name" with a "check name" button next to it.

Below that you will find a section called "Offline settings".

Remove the checkmark in "Use Cached Exchange Mode".

Save it and open Outlook 2013.

The major disadvantage here is that you have no access to your e-mail or calendar when not connected to the Exchange server.

And now my use-case.

I installed Windows 8 through VMware on my Macbook pro, and installed Outlook 2013. Everything ran smoothly for about a month, and then i decided to go fullblown pure install Windows 8.

After having installed Windows 8 on my Macbook Pro, i installed Office Pro 2013, and opened Outlook, setup my account, and as soon as it started syncing with the server it crashed with the error message "Outlook has stopped working".

After having tried all the "safemodes, setting up new mail profiles, removing plugins, a new clean install of everything"- advice that i found online i went back and set up a new VMware machine in MacOS X with Windows 8 on it. In this fresh VMware machine Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 didn't Work either, even though it had worked a few days before (on a 1-2 month old installation). The only difference being that when i started the first machine, i had 0 e-mails on my Exchange server. On the new install i had about 200 MB.

So i think one of two Things has happened. Either Microsoft has sent out some Windows or Outlook 2013 or Exchange 2010 update that has broken something - or some setting on my Exchange server has been changed. Unfortunately i don't have access to the server myself.

I have been running these tests on a fresh Windows 8 install, where the only other program installed was Office Pro 2013 and then all updates available through Windows Update. Nothing else has been installed.

I've tried it while on my corp network which usually gives direct access to the mail server. I've tried it VPN'ing into the network. And I've tried it VPN'ing into the network while still on the network..... all access to the mail server is okay. It finds my account, and i can also see my e-mail while not using cached mode.

So for me, the culprit was neither a plugin, or any other program. Outlook2013 worked when i was starting with an empty mailbox, and then slowly recieved e-mails at normal load. But as soon as you have to pull in a lot of MB at once, Microsoft Exchange Cached mode crashes Outlook.

I hope there will be a fix at some point. I almost LIVE in Outlook :-D

Friday, January 04, 2013 8:03 AM

All replies

• What specific error that outlook throws? What happens if you create a new outlook profile and you still notice the issue? If the issue is reproducible, then I would recommend you to try the following outlook switch in command line after closing outlook: Outlook.exe /cleanprofile

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:53 AM
  • Hi Deva

Outlook says just"Microsoft Outlook has Stopped Working" i created new profile and its the same

i got windows 8 Enterprice and office 2013 pro and brand new installation  of the OS

regards

romhill

Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Make sure you fully updated the Outlook with latest service pack/hotfixes. I remember the issue in Outlook 2010, for that there is an hotfix available: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475877

Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:00 AM
  • BTW, most of this kind of issue might be caused by security programs like Anti-virus, mail scanner, PGP... Thus, please try to disable all of them and then run Outlook to check the result. Also provide the build number of Outlook 2013, so that i can have a look at that. In the meantime, you can also give a try by opening Outlook in safe mode (outlook.exe /safe) and see whether it helps you to move ahead or not.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:03 AM
  • the versions  of office 2013 is 15.0.4420.1017

yes i tried in safe mode to .-(

/romhill

Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Try to run it in Windows Clean boot:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Or in Windows safe mode with network for narrow down the issue. (Press F8 when you boot system)

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, December 17, 2012 2:42 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, December 31, 2012 5:31 AM
  • hi

no success at all. tried everything ,but same.

as soon as i start outlook 2013 it stop responding, i tried uninstall Panda but it was they same thing :-(

anymore ideas guys?

Regards

Tommy

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Do you mean that Outlook 2013 even stop responding in Windows safe mode? Can you capture the event log from "eventvwr" and post here for further checking?

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

I've been having this exact same issue. I haven't found a solution, but in my case i have found a workaround. Let's start with the workaround, and then i can describe my use-case for possible further investigation.

When Outlook starts synchronizing mail from the Exchange 2010 server into the local copy on my computer, it crashes. I've tried all the possible solutions mentioned, including safemode, and a complete reinstall of the entire computer. In the end i ended up removing local caching of mail in my Outlook, and that did the trick.

So get to your mail accounts through your mail settings (you can open them somewhere without having to go into Outlook). On Windows 8 you press Windows key + W, and then search for "Mail". Go to the account setting for your Exchange account. You should now see a screen showing a field for "Server" and a field for "User name" with a "check name" button next to it.

Below that you will find a section called "Offline settings".

Remove the checkmark in "Use Cached Exchange Mode".

Save it and open Outlook 2013.

The major disadvantage here is that you have no access to your e-mail or calendar when not connected to the Exchange server.

And now my use-case.

I installed Windows 8 through VMware on my Macbook pro, and installed Outlook 2013. Everything ran smoothly for about a month, and then i decided to go fullblown pure install Windows 8.

After having installed Windows 8 on my Macbook Pro, i installed Office Pro 2013, and opened Outlook, setup my account, and as soon as it started syncing with the server it crashed with the error message "Outlook has stopped working".

After having tried all the "safemodes, setting up new mail profiles, removing plugins, a new clean install of everything"- advice that i found online i went back and set up a new VMware machine in MacOS X with Windows 8 on it. In this fresh VMware machine Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 didn't Work either, even though it had worked a few days before (on a 1-2 month old installation). The only difference being that when i started the first machine, i had 0 e-mails on my Exchange server. On the new install i had about 200 MB.

So i think one of two Things has happened. Either Microsoft has sent out some Windows or Outlook 2013 or Exchange 2010 update that has broken something - or some setting on my Exchange server has been changed. Unfortunately i don't have access to the server myself.

I have been running these tests on a fresh Windows 8 install, where the only other program installed was Office Pro 2013 and then all updates available through Windows Update. Nothing else has been installed.

I've tried it while on my corp network which usually gives direct access to the mail server. I've tried it VPN'ing into the network. And I've tried it VPN'ing into the network while still on the network..... all access to the mail server is okay. It finds my account, and i can also see my e-mail while not using cached mode.

So for me, the culprit was neither a plugin, or any other program. Outlook2013 worked when i was starting with an empty mailbox, and then slowly recieved e-mails at normal load. But as soon as you have to pull in a lot of MB at once, Microsoft Exchange Cached mode crashes Outlook.

I hope there will be a fix at some point. I almost LIVE in Outlook :-D

Friday, January 04, 2013 8:03 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. I cant run Outlook in Cached mode. Have you found any solutions or workaround for this?

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:57 PM
  • This is the error I'm presently receiving:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BEX
      Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE
      Application Version: 15.0.4505.1002
      Application Timestamp: 51483574
      Fault Module Name: OUTLOOK.EXE
      Fault Module Version: 15.0.4505.1002
      Fault Module Timestamp: 51483574
      Exception Offset: 00ee2a13
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Data: 00000008
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID: 1033

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Bumping for justice.  Same problem here.  Only solution is to disable caching.  Lucky me it's the bosses calendar that blows up for everybody who wishes to view it.  Would love a solution, could be a job saver.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Bumping thread again.  We are having the same issue over here.  Although our problem didn't start until we upgraded to Exchange 2013.  We have found that if we completely delete the mailbox and build it from scratch that the issue goes away, but after the 5th one I am done with that option.
    • Proposed as answer by nelJoe Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by nelJoe Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:21 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Hi guys, 

I don't know if my problem is different but I always got the same error message after installing Office 2010 on my computer on which Office 2013 was installed. I have always been able to get Outlook 2013 to working again  by repairing Office 2013 after uninstalling Office 2010 (I haven't tried repairing it with Office 2010 installed so I don't know if it would work or not). Below are the steps I follow:

1. Close all Office application you have open

2. Go to Control Panel and choose Uninstall Programs under Programs.

3.  Right-click your Microsoft Office Suite and choose Change 

4. Choose Repair in the popup box and click Continue 

After the repair is done, I restart my computer and my Outlook 2013 works like a champ.

I hope this can work for someone else.

Cheers

Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:28 PM
  • I have tried everything above and my email will not work.  About to cancel Office 365 and go back to my Office 2010 because at least that works correctly.
    • Proposed as answer by Clout83 Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Clout83 Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:58 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:00 PM