none
Office 2010 Install causes Print Spooler to Crash (Constantly)

Question

• Installation of Office 2010 Professional (RTM) causes Windows 7 Professional 64-bit print spooler to crash constantly.

Anyone have any ideas.  I have reinstalled windows, and reinstalled Office 2010 - but problem comes back as soon as I reinstall office.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:29 PM

Answers

• Before we go further, I would like to confirm if you have received an error message when the printer spooler crashes. Also, please let me know the exact model of your printer.

Based on the current situation, this issue may occur when the existing printer drivers are corrupted during the Office installation process. I suggest that you remove all the installed printers and reinstall the Windows 7 printer drivers if available.

Remove a printer

==============

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons of installed printers, and delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printers and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest that you clear the printing sub system.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search Bar, and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 5 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

You can also use these two articles to troubleshoot this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933454

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:26 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:37 AM

All replies

• Before we go further, I would like to confirm if you have received an error message when the printer spooler crashes. Also, please let me know the exact model of your printer.

Based on the current situation, this issue may occur when the existing printer drivers are corrupted during the Office installation process. I suggest that you remove all the installed printers and reinstall the Windows 7 printer drivers if available.

Remove a printer

==============

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons of installed printers, and delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printers and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest that you clear the printing sub system.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search Bar, and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 5 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

You can also use these two articles to troubleshoot this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933454

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:26 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:37 AM
  •  

Hi

I'm also having a lot of problems which seem to be related to Adobe 9.3

the problem is very recent

the system is x64 w7 x64 Office

my screen whites out and takes a long time to load print routine

eventually it does print

I have

Adobe PDF Port Monitor

EpsonTX300f Series 64 MonitorBp

WSD Port

as well as the 5 you listed above in step #3

I don't have BJ language monitor

should I delete and follow your step #3 ?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:54 AM
  • If you have similar issue with your printer, you can try Step 3 and clear these files. If the problem persists after trying the steps, please let me know the exact symptom on your system. Do you mean that you cannot print from the Office documents? Can you print properly with other documents, such as notepad?

Note: You can open a notepad program by this method: Click Start, in the Search or Run box, type notepad.exe and press Enter.

Friday, May 14, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Hi Sally

prior to your answer I ran http://support.microsoft.com/gp/printing_problems

and reset everything making each printer in turn "default"

I also got rid of Real Player which I had discovered was causing x32/x64 isssues

printing is still v slow but so far has not shown same issues

x32/x64 thunk problem perhaps

I'll play around and if problem persists, try step 3

thanks

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:39 AM
  • problem still persists

trying steps above

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:26 PM
  • Dear Malky,

It sound like that your issue is a bit different from Brian’s original post. After reading all the messages, I understand that your issue is: The performance of printer is slow when you are printing in Adobe. If there is anything misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

I have performed some research on this issue, and found this is a common issue. You can check if this article from Adobe helps:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333091.html

Also, another common cause of slow printing of PDF documents is your print resolution is set too high. You might also try to decrease the print solution in the printer properties.

If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:40 AM