none
Outlook fails to open!

Question

• All other office programs open and function, when I attempt to open Outlook, i get the following error:

"the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows your'e running. Check your computers system information to see whether you need anx86 (32-bit) or x64 (64bit) version of the program, and then cortact the software publisher."

I use Outlook non-stop, with no issues... Then this error! Why does Outlook fail to open?

Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Can you please inform what operating systems you are using and what version of outlook installed in your computer. It appears like some compatibility issue occured in your computer

Please provide those details

Friday, October 07, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Windows 7, Outlook 2010, 32 bit
    Friday, October 07, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Can you please try to open outlook with the below outlook switch

Start - Run - and Type "Outlook /Safe" without quotes and enter. check whether outlook is opening.

Inform the status

Thank you

Friday, October 07, 2011 2:37 PM
  • error: "the application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Olease see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more details."
    Friday, October 07, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Does it say what file is not compatible?

Did you try making a new profile in control panel, Mail?

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Friday, October 07, 2011 3:29 PM
  • error: "the application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Olease see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more details."

Side by side configuration could indicate net framework issues. What does the event log or the sxstrace.exe tool telo you?

This page will give you some background on the error: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/winsdk/sidebysideerror.aspx 

Friday, October 07, 2011 3:33 PM
  • no changes made.... event log:

Begin Activation Context Generation.
    Input Parameter:
     Flags = 0
     ProcessorArchitecture = Wow32
     CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
     ManifestPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE.Manifest
     AssemblyDirectory = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\
     Application Config File =
    -----------------
    INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE.Manifest.
     INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
     ERROR: Line 0: XML Syntax error.
    ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
    End Activation Context Generation.

Friday, October 07, 2011 4:37 PM
  • I went a purchased stand alone Outlook 2010, installed, and I still receive the "side by side configuration" error..... WTF!!!!
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:55 PM
  • It's not the version of outlook - its either a corrupt net framework or you need to clean the office install and reinstall it. I'd start with net framework...

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Could you explain how to repair a corrupt net framework? I have attempted to repair the Office install, but that did not work.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:51 PM