none
How to add a message to a redirected email in Outlook?

Question

• I have set up a redirect rule for some employees. When they receive an email, Outlook "redirects" the email to me as well. This is working just fine. However, the redirected email looks as if it was sent to me (my email address in the "To:" field). As I have many employees, this is not good. I need to know who the original email was sent to, I don't want my information in the "To:" field. You might be asking, "why don't you "auto-forward" instead?" It's complicated, but I export the emails later and the forwarding text that ends up in the message screws up my export. So, what I want, somehow, is this:

1. Redirect all incoming messages to my email address (leaving an original copy with the original recipient)

2. Either add a message to the redirected email with the original recipients name or address, or somehow leave the original recipient's information in tact (instead of replacing it with my name and email). 

3. I repeat, I CANNOT USE THE AUTO-FORWARD, unless there is another rule that can somehow eliminate all of the added forwarding text that normally appears.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, how about creating a rule to move a copy of messages to a specified folder which is shared to you in your employees’ mailbox. That you can view the messages in the shared folders in your Outlook.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/manage-another-person-s-mail-and-calendar-items-HA010355561.aspx

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Are you using a rule in outlook or a rule on the exchange server?

If using a rule in outlook, you should forward as attachment so the original is untouched. Drag the attachment off the forward.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:31 AM
  • I appreciate this suggestions, but the number of employees times the volume of emails they each receive would make this attachment situation a complete nightmare. Not to mention that I couldn't export the original email, I would only be able to do it after extracting the attached email.  Thanks for the help :)

Maria Getto

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:54 PM
  • What version of Exchange server are you using? You may be able to use transport rules on Exchange to do what you need. Otherwise, if Rex's suggestion is not acceptable, use VBA to extract the attached email. The only other solution is doing what you are doing now - maybe add a category to the forwarded mail. (I haven't tried it on redirects.)

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:47 PM
  • If I have shared access to all of my employees email inboxes through my personal email, can I export their email folders from my account as I look at them? Am I restricted in any way when looking at their folders from my account? If not, this may be a great solution...

Thanks!

Maria Getto

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:22 PM