none
Create Shortcut to Outlook 2010 Templates on Ribbon?

Question

• I use a few Outlook Templates on a daily basis, I would like to place these templates or the templates folder on the Ribbon/Toolbar for easier access? Can I do this?

Friday, June 11, 2010 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Write a little VBA macro and put the macro on the toolbar:

Sub DoIt()
    Set msg = Application.CreateItemFromTemplate("C:\myfile.oft" )
    msg.Display
    End Sub

In addition, ''C:\myfile.oft'' is your template file name and path.

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sub DoIt()
    msg.Display
    End Sub

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Hi, this worked for me however i cannot seem to figure out how to create multiple buttons linked to different templates. I have about 8 that I used in 2007 that I am really missing.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:40 PM
  • I do this from Outlook?
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:56 PM
  • This worked great!  Not as easy as what I did back in Outlook 2003, but this actually works better.  I already have a custom ribbon with about 10 other macros so it made sense and was easy to do.

Thanks!

Friday, June 10, 2011 10:52 PM
  • I have done this and it works great for me... I have 9 buttons I use for different templates.

The problem I'm running into is how to distribute this solution to other PCs. I have 30 other people I need to implement this for.

Under Outlook 2003/2007 we didn't need to use macros and could put buttons pointing directly to the OFT files, then distribute the toolbar file to everyone.

With this solution, I've saved the Macros as a .bas (and as a .cls) file, and exported the toolbar customizations.

But when I import both to a new computer and import them into outlook, they seem to lose the link between button and macro. It even happens if I remove it all and re-import it on the same PC.

You get the custom tab I made, the buttons, and the macros. Selecting the macros from the macro menu runs them fine. But clicking the buttons doesn't do anything on systems I've imported them to. It only works if I go back and manually add each macro to the custom tab on each PC. Obviously that's a lot of work to do on 30 PCs.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Blues,

All you have to do is duplicate the code multiple times, changing the Sub name and the file name. Here's an example:

Sub Alert1()
    Set msg = Application.CreateItemFromTemplate("S:\ALERT_1.oft")
    msg.Display
    End Sub
    Sub Alert2()
    Set msg = Application.CreateItemFromTemplate("S:\ALERT_2.oft")
    msg.Display
    End Sub
    Sub Alert3()
    Set msg = Application.CreateItemFromTemplate("S:\ALERT_3.oft")
    msg.Display
    End Sub

Then when you are in the customize ribbon screen you will see three different macros listed.

• Proposed as answer by Philomorph Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:09 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a way to get this to work with replies? I would like to reply to an email, keep their original text, and have it insert a template or pre-set text in the reply.

Also, is there a way to "grep" or select the text of name of the person in the body of the email (these emails I get dozens of a day and need to respond directly to contain a person's name), use the first name as a greeting in the body of the reply and insert the first and last name in the To: section of the email (all internal employees in GAL)? If so, that would be AWESOME!

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Thank you for the code.

This is very helpful.

I am surprise at the number of steps to create a Email template shortcut.  :)

But thanks!

Cliff

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

Sub DoIt()
    msg.Display
    End Sub

I am having trouble with this. The email I want to send out to multiple people is in the following directory C:\Users\Sundie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\*.oft and is called Angel Tree. What exactly do I need to put in the (). Do I put the " " as well?

Also is there a way to send individual emails to a list of addresses I have in an excel document- to avoid a spam designation? These are to promote our office Angel Tree.

Thank you.

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Outlook 2010 creates a OTM file for the Macros that are created.  It is located  C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.  It also crates a .officeUI for the customized ribbon that it is located C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office.  The customized ribbon can also done by the Import/Export drop down on the cutomize the ribbon also. 

Once the original files are copied to the other PC's by either manual or a Batch file.  

One other thing may need to be switch is the  macro settings to enable all.  It is located in the Trust center.

Hope this helps,

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:05 PM