none
Outlook 2010 Send/Receive ALWAYS hangs/stalls

Question

• After a cold boot Outlook 2010 beta ALWAYS hangs/stalls on start up S/Rec until killed a couple of times with Task Manager. After that, unless I close/restart outlook. it is generally fine. If I close/restart Outlook I have the same issue again. I have tried many things including disabling all COM add ins (except Hotmail Connector 32 bit beta 2010 ) All this is under W7 Ult 64 bit but 32 bit Office 2010 beta. (I gave up on the 64 bit flavour) I am collecting my main POP account and several Hotmail/Live accounts. On a clean build (without Connector) just collecting my POP account there are NO issues. Do I need to ditch Outlook until issue resolved?
    (Previously posted wrongly in Office forum)

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• One thing that for me was hard to notice: The Antivirus program was making the start crashes. Backdoors, it creates a bypass to all direct connection to email servers, in order to check messages and attachments before sending to Outlook. Sometimes antivirus programs are not well done to deal with non commercial versions. I Expect it could help.
    • Proposed as answer by RKBSystem Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:51 PM
  • @RKBSystem Thanks for the reply
    When all this started I did close down my AV (ESET 4 Smart Security) and substituted it with Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1611.0 assuming that would remove any doubt about AV interference. However, picking up your point, I have NOT tested my Outlook with NO AV loaded. I will give that a try and post here with feedback. Thanx again for the heads up

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:21 PM
  • @RKBSystem
    I uninstalled MSE and booted up bareback and Outlook still hung on first send/receive. killed with Task Manager and , of course, it ran second time
    (Have now re-installed MSE and set to update evetry 60 mins as usual)
    The issue lives on - what a pain !!!
    Anyone got any ideas
    Thanks again @RKBSystem for the response
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:36 PM
  • ok.. MSE is not guilty.
    If you try to receive only by your main POP account by Send/Receive / your account / Inbox, does it work fine?
    If so, the Hotmail connector is the one that is crashing. Have you review all settings on the firewall too? If the add-in try to get connected by a port that is blocked, it will hang until get a timeout.
    So, also try to find if there is a new version of it, reinstalling the add-in.
    if you already tryed this, i can't see another solution than using the Live Mail to deal with all accounts you have while MS team works on the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by urlwilliams Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:18 PM
  • @RKBSystem
    Yep - tried solo POP account  - no probs. I reckon it is a connector issue - which has never been stable anyway even under 2007
    Not had a look at the firewall side; maybe something for tomorrow :--)
    New version ?? Do you mean new version of connector?
    I am off soon for the evening (I am in the UK @ 1830h)
    This shiny new beta of connector is probably the latest but I will have a poke around tomorrow (or late tonight) for an update
    I have deliberatley kept away now from 64 bit to narrow the field
    Never catch on these computer thingies ;--/

Thanks again for the pointers - keep me off the streets for a bit later/tomorrow

Cheers again
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:28 PM
  • The beta of the connector does not cure the problem. 

I uninstalled an exchange email account while testing.  I cannot get it reinstalled.  If I try within Outlook, Tools, it says Outlook cannot be running and that I should use the Control Panel.  With Outlook not running and using the Control Panel, User Accounts, Email, it eventually says it cannot create the account unless Outlook is running.  It is a total catch-22.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:32 PM
  • @Wiz E
    The connector under O 2007 was flaky anyway and did give similar problems
    I (clearly; wrongly) assumed that the 2010 flavours of both products, albeit beta, would go some way to resolving it
    I am still nowhere nearer solving this issue
    I had expected Microsoft to have sorted out this issue at this relatively late stage in the product development
    Collecting (Microsoft Hotmail) email is pretty key to the product ;--)

I hope that one of the good guys over there picks up on the issue (if not already)

If anybody out there has any clues feel free !!!!

Cheers

Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:31 PM
  • I am using gmail as the default account.  It is set for POP/SMTP.
    I have both hotmail.com and live.com email accounts coming in through Outlook Connector.
    AIM email and Cox cable are set to POP/SMTP.
    Yahoo email forwards to gmail.
    Cox only supports POP when you are NOT on their cable system, i.e. it does not allow sends through SMTP.

I thought maybe it was hanging on a send through Cox.  Not true.  All sends are going through gmail including the phantom ones giving feedback.
    I have reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 beta.  It had no effect.
    I ran a registry cleanup utility.  It had no effect.
    I have tried it on two cable systems using direct connect to the router and wireless.  No difference.
    Deleting an Exchange email account had no effect.  I thought the exchange server was causing the problem.

If I start Outlook and there is a lot of inbound email stacked up, it will hang on a receive of the last message.  It is always on the last message, i.e. 5 of 5 or 13 of 13 etc.  It usually hangs a few K before the size of the inbound message.  If I exit and kill it with Task Manager, it usually behaves itself when I rerun it. 

If I clear all incoming email via kill & rerun, it comes up sometimes with a send/receive error but it then is stable.  In a stable, running condition, it will exit properly.  This is the only case.  Ironically, if you click on the send/receive error msg in the lower right, the message disappears leaving one with no information.

Turning logging on gives you no information.

I can get it to hang if I force a send/receive.  It usually hangs "preparing to send/receive".

This is as far as I have gotten in testing it.
    • Proposed as answer by MechE42 Monday, December 28, 2009 10:35 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:13 PM

• @Wiz E
    Good nfo
    I also have tried this........
    I ran a registry cleanup utility.  It had no effect

I have given up on this for 24 hours or so
    Will continue digging on 26.12.2009
    Laterz
    .............  :--)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Outlook 2010 beta has been running stable for almost 24 hours.  Sometime in the period, it decided that the personal folders in alphabetical order should be redone into 2 alphabetized lists bounded by RSS feeds.  If I stop Outlook and rerun it, the folder list will be back to one alphabetized list like it is supposed to be.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 9:31 PM
    I have both hotmail.com and live.com email accounts coming in through Outlook Connector.
    Cox only supports POP when you are NOT on their cable system, i.e. it does not allow sends through SMTP.

I thought maybe it was hanging on a send through Cox.  Not true.  All sends are going through gmail including the phantom ones giving feedback.
    I have tried it on two cable systems using direct connect to the router and wireless.  No difference.
    Deleting an Exchange email account had no effect.  I thought the exchange server was causing the problem.

If I start Outlook and there is a lot of inbound email stacked up, it will hang on a receive of the last message.  It is always on the last message, i.e. 5 of 5 or 13 of 13 etc.  It usually hangs a few K before the size of the inbound message.  If I exit and kill it with Task Manager, it usually behaves itself when I rerun it. 

If I clear all incoming email via kill & rerun, it comes up sometimes with a send/receive error but it then is stable.  In a stable, running condition, it will exit properly.  This is the only case.  Ironically, if you click on the send/receive error msg in the lower right, the message disappears leaving one with no information.

I can get it to hang if I force a send/receive.  It usually hangs "preparing to send/receive".

Mine sometimes has this problem - i guess when it finishes to download all mailing and atempt to delete the messages on the server. It seems that it breaks the link with the provider or waits for a timeout, I don't know.
    Some time later, it runs smothly...
    About Cox, maybe it has any other parameter to be set, like one of my providers. They say it must to set the smtp to another port number in order to send and the smtop connection must be encrypted. Does Cox have the same issues in order to send out mailing?
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:55 PM

• @Wiz E
    Good nfo
    I also have tried this........
    I ran a registry cleanup utility.  It had no effect

I have given up on this for 24 hours or so
    Will continue digging on 26.12.2009
    Laterz
    .............  :--)

I installed the add-in in order to receive the Live Mail. Running fine for me. I have 8 normal Pop accounts and one of them is my main email. The last thing i have installed is the hotmail connector.
    For you, wich is the default email (pop or hotmail)?
    When you cannot receive by the hotmail connector, have you tryied to access it by the web interface to see if it is running fine? Perhaps it could be a problem at the microsoft server and we are wasting our time looking for nothing.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:04 PM
  • My default is Gmail which is a POP account.

Cox says if you are away from our cable, use webmail.  I have no desire to go around them since Gmail sends just fine.

Which brings up another subject:  when is Microsoft Outlook going to stop putting pictures and attachments into Winmail.dat so my AOL (and webmail) friends can see stuff I forward?
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 7:35 PM
  • @Wiz E
    Default email is a POP account and I did check the servers via the web to check they were running cmoothly :-(
    My money is still on a *connector* issue
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:19 PM
  • To qualify, I only use POP3 & SMTP servers for my email...

I've just had the same problem (not Cox though as I am in the UK)

I tried the obvious, restart Outlook and also restart the PC with no joy.

I tried the Inbox repair tool also with no joy.

Repair installation of both Windows 7 & Office 2010b also didn't work.

Clean install of Windows 7 & Office 2010b didn't work either, although I did point Outlook to my existing pst file.

I pointed Outlook to a new pst file, and then it worked...
    Monday, December 28, 2009 5:45 AM
  • @BrowniMFC
    I am in the UK and tried all of above
    Does it now run every time with the new .pst? // have you tested the original .pst to see if that can now be used......
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:39 AM
  • It worked fine with the new .pst file after closedowns of Outlook and restarts of Windows.

I decided to be brave and point it at my original .pst file and after it ran a check against it all seems fine now. (OK, I need to reconfigure some emaill addresses but that's no hardship)

Bear in mind though, I am running bare here, No AV, no MS updates so that may change shortly!

All I have installed just now is Windows Ultimate x64, Office Proplus x64 and Firefox 3.5.6 (Sorry MS, need this for a particular plugin I use)

Now going to install MSE & the latest updates and will give feedback as to how it goes.

EDIT: Now up to date with updates and still working

EDIT2: Installed MSE and still working

The only differerence in my setup has been a different .pst file temporarily.

I ruled out the firewall option very quickly as I could telnet into the POP3 server.

I do have the PC working quite happily with the original .pst
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:58 AM

I got this exact same thing but cured it by unchecking the 'leave messages on the server for 14 days' in the 'advanced' tab in the 'more settings' window when entering the account settings.

Also, sorry, I click 'propose as answer' on your post instead of reply and I don't know how to undo it.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:40 AM
  • @BrowniMFC
    Interesting..... but still confusing isn't it :--/  (Why should the temp .pst swap make any difference!!!! )

@MechE42
    I don't leave mail on the server and it still fails

Irritatingly I have been forced to use Thunderbird temporarily .......
    (I can't always spend the time on continual kills/restarts) .......and it all works seamlessly :--?
    I have just logged on to O 2010 and it took six kills (normally only 3/4) before it did a complete send/receive

@MechE42
    Often easy to click and then struggle to *unclick*   !!!     :--/

Is there any way to get feedback from Microsoft ??

.............Nice way to spend a holiday !!! ;--) 

Monday, December 28, 2009 1:17 PM

In several different installs of WIN 7 Ultimate (32) w/Office 2010 on 4 machines using POP/SMTP and MAPI (hotmail) with the beta connector (and Business Contact Manager on one machine) the same situation occurs. I have attempted at various install points along the way from the fresh/clean install with no updates to testing it after each update and the results never change. I have even tried it with just one POP/SMTP email account one time (Connector not yet installed) and one Hotmail (Connector installed) another time to no avail. If I kill it as you did by exiting Outlook and then killing the hung process with Task Manager, it always behaves afterwards even with forced Send/Recieve until the next reboot where it starts all over again. For me on all four machines your workaround is successful. This leads me to believe that Microsoft will have a patch for this soon as it must be happening to many others I would expect. It is why it is called "Beta" software but it works faster even on my older machines than Office 2007 did.

I will keep testing for solutions.
    No Rookie
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:10 PM
  • One would hope that Microsoft do get a patch for this - even during the Beta phase
    My O 2010 hangs, still, for an average of two kills on each start up (of O 2010)
    (Once, yesterday, it took six kills)
    I have just loaded it for the first time today and......
    ..... as usual I killed it twice before having it up and running.... then.....

I exited it normally and loaded it again but it hung again immediately
    So time consuming...
    (Once it is loaded it always behaves normally until next restart)
    I am staying with Thunderbird until this is patched but will still load O 2010 a couple of times a day to monitor any progress

NOTE:
    Thunderbird starts with lightening speed and collects all accounts flawlessly which invites the question...
    Can't we isolate what Thunderbird does so well and incorporate that into Outlook?
    As stated earlier in the thread.... Collecting and Sending email is a core component of Outlook and some (well, me anyway) feel it should take priority over other functionality

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:14 AM

• Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit and 2010 Office Beta Outlook 32 bit. 
    Interesting as you have stated even with strictly POP accounts (I have 4) this hanging repeatedly occurs.  I went out for a couple of hours and when I returned... presto! send/receive works.  I may have done a couple of forced outs or time outs since I started this morning.  I appear to be getting the same characteristics, I guess I will see after I have to do a shutdown or logoff.

I am also using mobileme to keep contacts synced and whenever I try to run this process it fails. 
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Mine, often, has been OK until I do a shutdown/restart but the key to success has been NOT to close OUTLOOK
    Daft - but there it is :--/
    Away from the keyboard now for several hours
    CYA

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:20 PM
  • I have the same problem on win7 x64 ultimate/mso 2010 64-bit (I use the Outlook Hotmail connector 64-bit as well).

Outlook send/receive always hangs (after) picking up the last pop3 message (my pop account is first); it doesn't get as far as my hotmail accounts.

Following suggestions from this thread I've tried creating a new pst file rather than using the one that I've dragged across from previous versions of mso but this makes no difference.  I don't leave copies of my mails on the server, so I've eliminated that one too.

Starting outlook in safe mode doesn't help either.

When closing outlook it's necessary to kill the outlook.exe - I don't think once is enough but after a few cycles of launching outlook/killing outlook.exe it starts to behave until after the next reboot.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:40 PM
  • @zygentoma

You have replicated my issue
    The one exception on your current status is that you have MSO 64/Connector 64
    I gave up Connector 64 assuming, wrongly, that it was causing the issue; and switched to the 32 bit flavour

WRONG !! it made no difference - the issue was still there

So, you can forget trying to re install with 32 bit Connector - it will almost certainly make no difference

Also, I switched to MSO 32 bit for the same reason - again !!WRONG!! - it made no difference

I am an expert on Task Manager/End Process/ Outlook

Happy Days  :--/
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:19 PM
  • I've left it a couple of days before giving more feedback just in case the problem re-occurred but it hasn't.

One thing I have noticed though is when closing Outlook, the icon in the system tray changes and it has the text "Closing Outlook" but that disappers after a few seconds.

Now, that may have been there before, but unnoticed.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:19 PM
  • @BrowniMFC

I also get that *Closing Icon* text sometimes in my SysTray but when I hover over it - it then completes

Could be a related issue :--?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:22 PM
  • @BrowniMFC

I also get that *Closing Icon* text sometimes in my SysTray but when I hover over it - it then completes

Could be a related issue :--?

Hard to tell as I had never noticed it until the current issue.

But when I did have the problem, the closing icon would stay until I killed the Outlook process via the task mamager.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:28 PM
  • ............ never catch on these computer thingies ;--/

(  know it's frivolous - but all this is a real PAIN)
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:32 PM
  • ............ never catch on these computer thingies ;--/

(  know it's frivolous - but all this is a real PAIN)

I wouldn't call this frivolous, after it is an email client that can't receive email...

I do have a system image of when Outlook was (and still is) working so if the issue comes up again it is a simple matter of restoring that. As the .pst lives on another drive, that may give an indication as to where the problem lies.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:46 PM
  • @BrowniMFC

.... as a matter of possible interest, my .pst is also on another drive

off now for 8 hours

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:08 AM
  • ...... have also tried:-   *remove and re-install POP3 accounts*   :--(
    Still not solved the issue.............
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:18 PM
  • I'm reasonably confident I've got Outlook working now, although I need to monitor the situation for a few days.  I've done a number of things including creating a new pst file then switching back to my old pst (as mentioned by BrowniMFC).  My pst is on a different partition and I boot the os from vhd - I mention this for completeness but I don't think it's significant. I don't think that bouncing the pst files is what fixed the problem.

What I think has fixed my problem is deleting the outlook profile part of hkcu - namely HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook and I deleted the value hkcu\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\DefaultProfile.

I was then prompted to create a new profile and it all seems to work now, once I'd re-added my email accounts.  My outlook profile was originally created under mso 2k7 back in august when win7 was released.

Anyway I've added a pop account, an imap account and hotmail, rebooted a couple of times and it seems to be OK.

• Proposed as answer by AaronXino Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:21 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:19 PM
  • @zygentoma
    Good nfo
    Did you add your email accounts from scratch?
    (as in a clean start?)
    Cheers
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:32 PM
  • What I think has fixed my problem is deleting the outlook profile part of hkcu - namely HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook and I deleted the value hkcu\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\DefaultProfile.
    That wouldn't have been applicable in my case as I reinstalled Windows 7x64 & Outlook 2010 therefore would be working with a clean registry.

Just noticed tophawks comment come in, I had to add my email accounts from scratch as it was using a new .pst file after the reinstall.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:44 PM
  • @BrowniMFC
    Y
    Me also, was working with a clean registry following a complete bare metal re install (by way of an acid proof test)

maybe off for a while - if I am then..............
    HNY to all
    Cheers
    Laterz
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Just reporting that Outlook 2010 is still working fine - I seem to have shaken off the send and recieve hanging issue. I appreciate you guys were probably doing a totally clean install and therefore deleting the outlook profile from hkcu wasn't the solution but it certainly seems to have worked for me.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 9:49 PM
  • For what it's worth . . . just installed Outlook 2010 and had the same issue with send/receive.  My problem was resolved by simply setting up a new profile in Control Panel -> Mail -> Profile.  Setup my multiple POP3 accounts and all is well regardless of closing down Outlook, rebooting, etc.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I had the same problem.
    I have my outlook setup with company exchange, plus I have 2 gmail and 2 hotmail accounts.
    I removed completely both hotmail accounts from outlook, then closed it (plus killed the processor in task manager).
    Then I removed outlook connector thru "control panel-programs and features".
    Since then outlook works perfectly. Send/Receive works fine and Oulook closes properly.
    So the problem IS wiht Outlook connector.
    • Proposed as answer by XAPbKOB Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:52 AM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:51 AM
  • So the problem IS wiht Outlook connector.
    WRONG!

I experienced the problem without Outlook Connector.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:18 AM
  • I think (without much testing) the errors happened after adding a (non hotmail) pop account, but uninstalling the oulook connector removed the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by Starfleet Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:43 PM
  • I did not mean to propse the previous post as the answer - it was unintentional.

However after several clean installs on several machines all running Windows 7 (some 32 some 64) Ultimate, using all the proposed solutions that have already been posted here, I finally found a way to make a difference every time. I have Outlook with the Connector and have both POP3 accounts and MAPI on all machines now and all I did was to activate the product and it has not reappeared again - not once. Go figure that one out will you. When I decided to activate my Office 2010 Beta I was just foolling around thinking that it was not really necessary but to my surprise it stopped the hang issue. When I followed the activation sequence and entered the key I used to install it with and hit the install button I was prepared for it to reinstall the entire suite but it only reconfigured it and told me to restart my Office application. I restarted my computer as well and when Outlook worked the first time, I did it 3 more time to be sure. It no longer hangs.

Happy New Year and I hope this works for you.
    No Rookie
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:46 AM
  • I activated my Office 2010 beta every time.  I still have the problem.  Something else is different.  It might be something as simple as the ethernet driver or the wireless driver.  I am WiFi.  I did have the problem when plugged into cable.  Maybe routers cause it.  I haven't tried plugging into my cable modem.  Nevertheless, I do not believe activation has anything to do with it.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Happy new year to you as well Starfleet.

My version of Office was already activated when I came across the issue, I did not have the connector installed as I only use POP3/SMTP email.

Now you go figure!

I'm convinced that the problem lies with an improper shutdown and the .PST file gets corrupted in such a way it hangs Outlook on the next startup.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Well I have egg on my face now. Almost as soon as I typed that last post about how it was fixed because I activated my Office install the issue returned in full force. My aplogies for the messiah complex.

The only thing I have not tried is the registry edit and the moving/creating a new .pst file. No one else has had much success with those I have seen here anyway.

I have run the pst repair tool and it found and repaired errors but it did not fix this issue. I will keep plugging away as time permits and in the meantime I will just avoid shutdowns.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

No Rookie
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Well I have egg on my face now.

No, you haven't.

This is a rather strange occurence and the more information shared here should allow the problem to be narrowed down and hopefully lead to the solution.

Just a thought Starfleet, have you tried creating a different Outlook account and then opening your original .pst within the new account?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:24 AM
  • Have I got the same problem?
    New Windows 7 machine, uninstall Office 2007, install 2010 Pro beta. In email POP3 setup, choose 'new' for outlook files.
    It sends and receives, but no existing data of course. So I copied my old outlook.pst file to the Outlook Files folder, and renamed to replace the folder it had given me - myemailaddress.pst.
    Then it won't send/receive: error 0x8004010F Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
    I've uninstalled, deleted some of the registry keys (others won't) and reinstalled. It wouldn't accept my copied Outlook files, and I get error 0x80004004 unknown error. Somehow it has made me duplicate the .pst file.
    I'd much appreciate any advice.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Have I got the same problem?
    New Windows 7 machine, uninstall Office 2007, install 2010 Pro beta. In email POP3 setup, choose 'new' for outlook files.
    It sends and receives, but no existing data of course. So I copied my old outlook.pst file to the Outlook Files folder, and renamed to replace the folder it had given me - myemailaddress.pst.
    Then it won't send/receive: error 0x8004010F Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
    I've uninstalled, deleted some of the registry keys (others won't) and reinstalled. It wouldn't accept my copied Outlook files, and I get error 0x80004004 unknown error. Somehow it has made me duplicate the .pst file.
    I'd much appreciate any advice.

Not sure if this is connected but....
    Have you tried pointing Outlook to the original folder containing the myemailaddress.pst file (via file\account settings etc)
    ....  as opposed to moving it (the .pst) to the Outlook default folder
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Glad I found this thread as this issue is plaguing me too.

I'm running 32bit XP Pro and like most people here, when I initially start up Outlook it hangs on last message.  I have a 3 POP3 accounts and 2 Office live accounts via Outlook Connector.

What i find i have to do is exit Outlook via Task Manager then log in to each account via webmail, mark everything as read and then when i re-open outlook it works fine.  That however is such a PITA I'm getting close to just uninstalling the beta.  Which is a shame as i love how speedy it is once it decides to play ball.

I've tried all the suggestions here and nothing makes any difference :(
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:18 PM
  • I don't think I had your problem. My trouble was copying my old outlook.pst (albeit renamed): this has always worked for me in the past, but not in 2010. I also saw on the internet that file/import had been deliberately removed because it didn;t work, and on my version of Help, 'import data' leads to a page which is not there.
    Then I found this:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/office-outlook-2010-import-and-export/
    which explains that file/import is now file/OPEN/import.
    Using that I have got my data across without upsetting Outlook, and it now sends and receives happily.
    So I think I had a different problem from you, but thanks for your help, and hope it goes well for you all.
    Best wishes.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Removing Outlook Connector has solved this issue for me! (Win 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32bit beta).

Cheers
    T.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:24 PM
  • zygentoma's registry trick seems to have worked for me.

I tried the whole thing about recreating the .pst files and whatnot, which I think was the point at which the shutdown failure was solved, but the S/R hang remained.

But now after deleting the registry entries as described and then recreating my accounts - all of which are POP3 - the hang seems to have gone (fingers crossed). It can still be a little slow so my heart misses the occasional beat, but it does appear to be working.

Thank you to all contributors. Shocking that they would release an alpha, let alone a public beta, in this state.

• Edited by AaronXino Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:20 AM Clarification
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:18 AM
  • After a week I have just gone back in to the full outlook/connector configuration with all accounts installed and stll no luck
    Sadly, I am having to stay with the flawless Thunderbird 3 until we get news from Microsoft (Thunderbird 3 seamlessly collects/sends all POP3 and IMAP accounts - 15 in total)
    The sending and receiving of email is (obviously) a core element of an email client and it is impratical, outside of the *holiday* season, to continue with a severely flawed client; but I do permanently run O 2010 with just one primary POP3 account. Naturally, as expected, O 2010 has not failed, even once, while just handling that one account. Connector is installed but all accounts have been removed except that one POP3 account
    Hopefully, Microsoft will have all this *patched* soon
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Tophawk,
    I could not read all the thread. I installed 0 2010 x64 on a W7 x64 platform and I cannot send email, etc. Can you help me? God bless
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:04 PM
  • This does not sound like a related issue
    I would suggest that you simply re visit your *settings*
    You will probably find the smtp incorrect
    I can assure you that neither the OS nor Outlook would, of itself, cause the fault (IMHO)
    Hope you find it
    Cheers

Monday, January 25, 2010 7:48 PM
  • I've read through all of the threads above, having encountered the same problem.  Can I assume that MS has not yet chimed in with a fix?  I'm totally frustrated.  The only possible solution I've gleaned from the threads is deleting the hkcu profile.  I haven't tried that yet since I'm an amateur and am afraid to mess with stuff like that (I don't even know what HKCU is).  Is this the solution, or is there a known fix out there?  Thanks.

By the way, has anyone tried to use Outlook 2007, while keeping the 2010 Office Beta (Word, etc. intact)?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:27 PM
  • @DCView

see Fri 22
    I am using O 2010for one account but have not tried  O 2007 over Office 2010
    Think you are right to assume MS have not fixed it yet; anyway - as far as I know
    The HKCU is in the registry: - HKEY_CURRENT_USER  (k/a a registry hive)
    You are right to be wary of tinkering here; however if you make a registry backup first you could cofidently explore it
    You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy registry management is and you can use a search engine to get some info first
    For example, if you navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\USER Shell
    ...you can change the location of the Favorites folder; without causing any damage 
    .....'tinkering' can be as simple as that
    BACK ON TOPIC - we will await some help from MS on this issue and meantime, if needed, use other email clients day to day

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Removing Outlook Connector has also solved this issue for me! (Win 7 64 bit with Office 2010 64bit beta).
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Does anyone know how Outlook - and more to the point, Outlook Connector - uses the HKCU profile exactly? Presumably the un-/re-installation of of OC is re-building that profile. Unless, of course, there are two separate issues causing this ghastly problem.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Have a look at "Outlook 2010 Beta Send/Receive Not working - Urgent" http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/d034e214-2df1-45f7-a8da-ef78647653fb

Similar problems, often solved by removing connector and converting hotmail to pop 3

Good luck!
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:22 PM
  • Outlook 2010 Beta is a disaster.  I have been working on it for days now wth no progress to speak of.  Firs it would lock up as soon as I clicked the mouse on a button or folder.  After several uninstall and reinstalls, I hid my existing pst files on an external drive so they would not be automatically set up and then installed Office 2010.  I was able to import my mail and contacts and have avoided the instantanious lock ups.

The problem that I have been working on for the past day is similar to what others here are talking about.  The big difference, I don’t have Hotmail associated with it.  Here is a summary of my issues.

·          Mail is stuck in my out box.  One or two may go out when outlook starts and then the rest stay.

·          Some of my pop accounts were downloading sporatically – seems like they download a few messages and lock up.

·          Two POP accounts on a different server initially would not down load at all.

·          Test account settings indicates that all is good.

·          Turned off all security and fire wall with no result.

·          Tried using different port settings with no result.

·          Outlook hans up on exit and has to be terminated from the task manager

·          Send and receive requests stack up and it seems to hold on the first one.

·          Random error message indicates that outlook data files can not be accessed

After a lot of back and forth and testing, I was able to get everything to work accept for one account.  I noticed that only one or two email accounts would come up and request user names and passwords on each restart of Outlook.  I think it locked up after that.  After several restarts, all of my accounts had requested the username and passwords and were ready to go. Note: this information was already input into the email account set up but it still requested it.

As I mentioned, I still have one account that is not working.  The funny thing is, I have another account on the same server that is working fine.  I tried to delete the account and reset it up and it still does not send or download.  On resetting up the account that I deleted, I allowed Outlook to search for the server informatnion, which it didsuccessfully.  The account still would not work.

The only error message I get is in the progress screen where I get send and receive error messages indicating the Outlook data file can not be accessed.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causeing this?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.  Can’t seem to figure out how to post as a new item in the same thread.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Sunday I completed a reformat and clean install of W7-64bit with O2010. Outlook worked fine on Monday. However since then I have had the same problems as described in this thread. I have tried just about everything listed above with the exception of the regedits. Additionally, I am not certain where the Outlook Connector file is. When I search I do not find it nor do I find it in Add/Remove Programs. I am using Comcast mail which is Pop3/SMTP. When I delete the account and create a new one through the Mail Option within Control Panel it configures fine. Even with all mail cleared from the server Outlook stills hangs within about 20 seconds of opening.

I still have two priority TechNet Subscription support uses available for live over-the-phone support from MS Support Professionals so I will be calling tomorrow or Friday. I will let you know what the outcome is.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Ted, your problem sounds almost identical to mine. Certainly those you have bullet-pointed are. I have never used Outlook Connector, nor had a Hotmail account set up in any way, shape, or form. Following the registry deletion solution posted above sorted out the problem, although it did mean having to set up all of my accounts again.

Of course, the thing still crashes when opening certain e-mails, but it doesn't have any problems in send or receive any longer.

noxqcez, it sounds like your issue may also be sorted via the registry fiddle.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:38 PM
  •  
    I have successfully installed and run Outlook 2010 until last week.

Outlook 2010 Beta is hanging and becomes non-responsive after one or two clicks after starting. Everything worked last week when:
    1. it was in send/receive mode and with 8kb of 800kb received - then just the hourglass revolving
    2. checked to verify email address or server was not the problem - to be sure killed the account on server level and entered new account - same result on Outlook side
    3. was able to turn off ALL add-ins - no joy on receive
    4. changed send/receive setting to NEVER send/receive - no change
    5. killed ALL accounts so there would be no incoming data - period - no change in responsiveness
    6. removed and reinstalled entire 2010 Office suite - same result
    7. checked for virus or malware - none detected with current and up-to-date programs
    8. downloaded shareware alternative email client - all email worked fine - large download :)
    9. tried to export from Outlook - got same unresponsive issue
    10. after some yelling, wrote to this forum!

Background is that this same email account worked fine in Office 2007 and for a couple of weeks in 2010 - then would not receive. Sent several frown faces to MS, but did not expect or receive any response.

At wits end to solve this puzzle as no new software has been installed just before or after the problem and would like to return to Outlook, but for now will have to live with emClient. Would love to hear from MS. Help!

JIM in Fla

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:16 PM
  • I did try the registry tweek - no change. Still hangs. Will keep trying. Always have to kill Outlook in Applications and then in Processes as well. Appreciate all the info from the forum.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:23 PM
  • SUCCESS today!! Thank you to all who posted your issues and suggested fixes. I have spent 3 days trying various fixes and finally what I did today worked and my Outlook 2010 is running fine with no issues (fingers crossed).

Here is a summary of what I had tried and what I did today that worked:

* Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook 2010 - same problems
    * As suggested I went into the registry and deleted the DefaultProfile value at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\DefaultProfile - same problems
    * Deleted email account and Outlook data file, rebooted, opened Outlook, created new data file with default name of Outlook - same problems
    * Discovered that even though I was installing a clean version of Outlook 2010 and creating a new data file with the default name "Outlook" it was created as an ANSI type file used by Outlook 2002 and earlier rather than as a Unicode file used by later versions of Outlook. This can be checked in Outlook by going to the File tab, then Account Settings/Account Settings, then click on the Data Files tab, click on the file and then click on Settings. In the window that pops up there will be a Format field that should read Outlook Data File. So I created a new data file with a name other than Outlook.
    * Went into My Documents and then into the Outlook Files subdirectory and deleted the Outlook Data Files stored there.
    * In Task Manager I killed the two SAS processes having to do with Send A Smile
    * I disabled Microsoft Outlook Social Connector by going to the File tab within Outlook, clicking on Options, clicking on Add-Ins, going to the bottom of the page where it says Manage: COM Add-Ins and clicking Go... and then unchecking Microsoft Outlook Social Connector.
    * I then rebooted, disabled SAS processes again, opened Outlook, set up email account with the email Wizard that auto-configured my Comcast POP3/SMTP settings and I could tell immediately there was a diffference. All mail from the server immediately downloaded, the reading pane was showing mail content and no hang ups at all.

I have not imported the content from my previous .pst file that I saved prior to the reformat and install of Windows7. Just want to enjoy what I have right now.
    Hopefully this will help someone out there. Thanks again for taking the time to post your ideas and fixes, which gave me a road map of where to go in this process. Good luck to those of you still frustrated by this ridiculous issue.

David

Friday, February 05, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Success for me too!  I can not believe how much time this has taken but maybe our experience will help others.  Here is a summary of what I did and learned.

First the initial freezing up of Outlook 2010.

As I mentioned earlier, outlook would start ok but freeze completely within one or two clicks.   Just clicking on the inbox was enough to lock it up and to get out of it I had to shut it down in the task manager.

I uninstalled Office 2010 and the trial version of Office 2007 that was preloaded on the computer.  I rebooted and then redownloaded and reinstalled Office 2010.  This seemed to help but Outlook was still not functioning right and locked up sporatically.  The outlook install does a lot of the set up work for you and this in itself caused some of my problems.  I had four or five data sets and about eight or ten email accounts on my old system.  When I did the reinstall, I hid all of the old data sets on an external drive. I went back afterwards and manually imported each of the data sets.  I think that this was a major factor.  While I lost my filters and some of my set up, I have all of my email and contacts.

It seemed that each time that I restarted two more of my email accounts would pop up on start up and request the password.  I entered it and selected to remember it.  Once I went through this enough times for all to be added Outlook seemed to become stable.

Now I still had problems with email not going out or coming in. I am not sure how I fixed this.  I kept changing the settings, trying the auto fix feature and running the test.  Once email started going out I thought that I was sending and still not receiving.  What I found is that the screen is a little confusing at first and when Outlook automatically it created additional datasets for some of the email addresses.  Not sure why it did it for some and not for others.  You may have to scroll down in the folders list and drill down under the other data sets to find the emails from different accounts.  I think I have four datasets now, each with their own inbox.  This can be fixed by setting up filters to send everything to one or two different inboxes.

The only other problem I encountered was when I got daring and set up my Hotmail account.  I had tons of old mail up there and after setting it up (again in its own data set) it locked up the first time I clicked on the file.  I think it had not fully processed yet and I have not had a problem since.

I did not have to dissable the social connector or any other features that I recall.

Hope this helps others.

Friday, February 05, 2010 5:41 AM
  • All

I'm nervous to say that my problems were solved by simply getting rid of the SAS Services through Task Manager and deleting from my startup using Msconfig in the Run line but it looks like it fixed it.  Can't believe it was that simple. MS needs to figure a better way to Smile.

This has been a teriffic thread.  Thanks to all.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:25 PM
  • @Alemeg
    Hi
    Very early on in my expedition I thought I had cracked it via SAS disabling - however, the problem did, soon, surface again :--(
    I am still letting Thunderbird handle my mail; and look forward to an early MS solution, and being able to get back into an efficient O2010
    Surely, it cannot be too far away as the product has gone to RC status ?
    Perversely, it is encouraging that others, not just me, have broadly similar problems :--/

Roll on the full product........
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:13 PM
  • i had the same issues, hanging on last message, and outlook failing to close down and being resident on the taskbar with an icon 'outlook is closing down' and as a running process which has to be killed using task manager. it appears resolved by removing my hotmail accounts and removing outlook connector
    a response from MS to say they are looking at this problem would be welcome
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Yes I belive it has.  I know the release date is coming up, however no new news as to exact date when.  When I know I will certainly share it with the group.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Thanks, Tophawk! You were right.  It lasted for a (short) while then went back to the same.  My euphoria was misplaced. Hope there's a quick fix :-(
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Wanted to join the group, as I have tried pretty much everything everyone else has but still no success. Hope a fix comes soon, currently having Eudora handle my email...
    • Proposed as answer by xtl70 Monday, February 15, 2010 10:27 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:58 PM
  • This is what worked for me:
    Removed Outlook Connector Beta 14.
    Changed Hotmail accounts to POP3. See tuturial link:

Seems to be working fine for now. 

Good Luck.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:30 PM
  • I just gave up on Outlook 2010 and I am in the process of going back to 2007. I love the new Outlook and I really would like to be able to use it. But if I can't receive my emails, what is the point.

I tried a new profile. I deleted all add-ins, I delete my hotmail emails and connected, I deleted my gmail.
    How do we find out when this is fixed?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:39 AM
  • Yes, the connector removing fix did not work for me either.
    I would like to ear more from xlt70 - what OS and prevous O product were you using?
    Is it still working?

But for now nothing seemed to work for me -

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:52 AM
  • windows 7 64 bit
    office 2007

All the effort in deleting the profile is wasted. 
    Stopped working today!
    I guess we will have to wait either for the RC or the full O to work in the Summer.

Sorry for raising hopes.

Here's a link to another possible solution which works on and off.http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/103295

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:56 AM
  • Thanks - no worries.
    Agreed, hopefully the full O10 works...this Summer?

Will stay tuned to the group for possible breakthroughs coming soon.

Regards,
    Mike
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:37 AM
  • xtl70, part of your problem it sounds like is that you have Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 running.  Outllook get really cranky if your running 07 and 10 together.  You will need to un-install Office 2010 then rebot, then uninstall 2007 rebot, and then install Office 2010 then rebot.  I would strongly suggest reboting each time, so that the registry has a chnace to get updated.

• Proposed as answer by Scott SC Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:04 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Thank you Scott.
    I'll give that a shot.
    Has anyone else tried a fresh 2010 install that worked well?
    Scott, is that what worked for you?

Altaf
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 6:11 PM
  • In my particular situation, I have three machines running 2010 - one is running fine so far and the other two different users both hiccup on receive. One of those had 2007 installed before the beta and the other was a clean reformat of XP and never had any other Office suite installed.

Bottom line is that two of the three ain't working and I have yet seen a reasonable workaround. Second, it does not appear to be confined to the Beta install as I have found numerous "me too" posts from as far back as Office 2003, which I think was called Office XP. Don't understand how this could have been swept under the rug for so long, but surely MS has encountered this at least ONCE!

I have cut the string with Outlook on those machines and am using emClient w/o a single Send/Receive error - on the same machines! Color me frustrated!

JIM in Fla
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:07 PM
  • I deleted my Outlook Connector accounts and used the POP3 alternatives.  I have had no problems since then.  It closes properly and comes up without hanging.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:57 AM
  • Jim- I'm not sure what to tell you about the XP machine that had no Office Suite installed. Your other computer that you "upgraded" is partly why your having problems.  Majority of the problems posted here seems like are because users upgraded instead of doing a "clean" install.  The problem resulted in two Outlooks running and you can not have that.  Hope this at least helps some
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:26 AM
  • All

I had been using my Outlook with the constant "ctrl-alt-delete...blow away Outlook.exe" solution to the problem.  However, upon one of my reboots I received a propmpt indicating that the Exchange Server Add-in could not be started and asked if I wanted to delete it.  Since I am not running Exchange I said to delete. Since then my problems have gone away and its been two days.  Don't know if this will help anyone else but thought i'd pass it on.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:46 PM
  • I just tried it and it works. Well done Alemeg. Really appreciate you sharing this with us.
    Altaf
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:08 AM
  • @Alemeg
    So many different solutions and tweaks that I can't remember what I tried and what I didn't :--/
    I will run Connector up again later and delete Exchange Server Add-in and see if it helps
    Here's hoping (again)

:-D
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Tested with no add-in and problem still present :--(
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Worked for a few hours. Back to the usual hanging. Ah well, at least we know that this problem is consistent no matter what we think the solution is!
    Thank you for being persistent.
    Altaf
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Tried  again today; but still no success
    Problem is still there
    I trust nobody else is having any success in cracking this

:--(

PS I do think that the 'hang' is more persistent/consistent
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:09 PM
  • After a week of flawless use with 2 POP accounts in one profile, as soon as I add one Live mail account, Outlook goes haywire, including the following:

-always hangs during Send/Receive (even in Safe Mode)
    -refusing to close - must end OUTKLOOK.EXE process in Task Manager
    -RANDOM synch errors with Live account
    -MAJOR synch errors with Live Calendar

The connector is broken IMHO.  All you do to set up the Live account is enter your email and password - how could that possibly jack things up so bad??

Windows 7 Pro (32b)
    Office 2010 Pro Plus 14.0.4536.1000 (32b)
    Outlook Connector 14.0.4514.1009 (32b)
    Norton Security Suite 3.0.8.41 (disabled)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:41 PM
    Problem is still there

Well I'm still suffering from the occasional refusal to open an e-mail (Twitter notifications are 100% guaranteed to crash it), but otherwise I've been fixed since 14th January. I suspect there's a pretty centralised, deep, core bug that's actually causing the problem, but that we've all got different set-ups calling and triggering it in different ways.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:30 PM
    Problem is still there

Interesting that this issue is still occurring, I have had no problems since my posts back in December/January.

I do not use the Outlook connecter as all my email is POP3 based.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:46 AM
  • I have tried every configuration I can think of and one thing is true in every install so far. If I do not install Outlook Connector and the email accounts (multiple) are POP3, the issue never occurs.

Guess I will have to wait for the final release and expect that it will be fixed then.

No Rookie
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:44 PM
  • I have tried every configuration I can think of and one thing is true in every install so far. If I do not install Outlook Connector and the email accounts (multiple) are POP3, the issue never occurs.

Guess I will have to wait for the final release and expect that it will be fixed then.

No Rookie

The connector does seem to be a little problematic.  You could try the beta of Connector 14 which some people have found to be more reliable.

-B-
    http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:55 PM
  • With all due respect, what version did you think I was using? I use Version 14 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=16BAB660-54D8-4129-91C3-D86FF0D996E9&displaylang=en that was released on Oct 20, 2009 for X64 installs and 32 bit version http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D003DA0-F684-4F4D-A9C8-8D15B84F60D1&displaylang=en released on the same date for x86 installs.

Are you suggesting that I try the X64 version on a x86 install of Office?

No Rookie
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:35 PM
  • With all due respect, what version did you think I was using? I use Version 14 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=16BAB660-54D8-4129-91C3-D86FF0D996E9&displaylang=en that was released on Oct 20, 2009 for X64 installs and 32 bit version http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D003DA0-F684-4F4D-A9C8-8D15B84F60D1&displaylang=en released on the same date for x86 installs.

No Rookie

You didn't say what version of the Connector you were using and my mind-reading software is still in beta.  If 14 isn't working for you then I guess you'll probably have to wait for the next build and hopefully it will be more reliable.

Just in case you don't already know the answer to your last question - no, the 64-bit version of the Connector won't work on the 32-bit version of Office.

-B-
    Monday, March 22, 2010 12:30 AM

No Rookie

You didn't say what version of the Connector you were using and my mind-reading software is still in beta.  If 14 isn't working for you then I guess you'll probably have to wait for the next build and hopefully it will be more reliable.

Just in case you don't already know the answer to your last question - no, the 64-bit version of the Connector won't work on the 32-bit version of Office.

-B-

<If 14 isn't working for you then I guess you'll probably have to wait for the next build and hopefully it will be more reliable.>

I think your statement here most eloquently summarizes the problem/solution: I believe the flakiness most seem to suffer will be resolved by a more reliably integrated connector build

As previously highlighted - with Thunderbird 3 as the client, 14 (various flavours of) email accounts can be collected seamlessly

Roll on access to the RTM build

Happy Days

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:34 AM
  • I had this hanging send/receive problem since I installed the 2010 beta, but I finally got sick of constantly killing Outlook in Task Manager, then restarting the app, maybe several times, before it would finally stabilize.  I'm using Win7 x64, with Office 2010 x86.

I got rid of the Outlook Hotmail Connector, and set up my hotmail accounts using POP3.  Now, I have not had a single problem with Outlook 2010 for days.  It fires up very quickly, and does a clean, bug-free send/receive.  The Hotmail Connector was the whole problem, as I suspected, because the 2007 version of the connector was pretty flaky as well.

I found out, through trial and error, that pop3 for Hotmail is a touchy affair.  You have to make sure that you enter your entire mail address [ myaccount@hotmail.com ] in the first screen, not just the  [ myaccount ] prefix, as you would with a normal ISP provided POP account.  If you have a purchased domain and email account like I do, it will work, but make sure you type the whole address in this case as well [ myaccount@mydomain.com ] where the account name is asked for.  I could not find anywhere that this caveat is documented, even though it does make sense where there may be multiple domains under a provider.

The first step is to copy all of your messages from the Hotmail Connector accounts into newly created (or current) PST files.  The OST files containing the connector data will be rendered useless.  After doing this, go to add/remove programs and uninstall Outlook Hotmail Connector.  Then, when setting up the new POP3 accounts, you can point to the proper PST data files in the settings.

Taking the above into account, here are the exact settings that I had to use to get a consistent send/receive.  If anything is different, especially the security settings, then you will get intermittent fails, or no send/receive at all.  Do all of this in the manual account settings dialog boxes:

Under More Settings/General: youraccount@yourdomain.com

leave everything else blank under this tab.

Under Outgoing Server: Tick "My outgong server (SMTP) requires athentication" then tick "Log on using" then enter youraccount@yourdomain.com, and enter your password, tick "Remember Password."

Under the Advanced tab: "Incoming server (POP3)" enter 995.  Tick "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL).

"Outgoing server (SMTP)" enter 587 (this is very important, 25 won't give consistent results).  "Use the following type of incrypted connection": TLS. 

Server Timeouts = 2 minutes or more.

"Delivery"; Tick Leave a copy of messages on the server.  BE SURE TO UNTICK "Remove from server after ___ days and to untick Remove from server when deleted.

• Proposed as answer by CDixonM Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Hi - I don't believe this is a 2010 (beta) issue - I use XP SP3 and Office 2007 (all fully patched) and this issue started happening about  2 weeks ago.

Repairing the .pst did not solve anything in the end. I have recently incorporated Hotmail within Send/Receive (using the Outlook Connector) so that might be a factor.

Friday, March 26, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Hi - I don't believe this is a 2010 (beta) issue - I use XP SP3 and Office 2007 (all fully patched) and this issue started happening about  2 weeks ago.

Repairing the .pst did not solve anything in the end. I have recently incorporated Hotmail within Send/Receive (using the Outlook Connector) so that might be a factor.

Good nfo.....

Yep - once again, perhaps evidence of the culprit being connector

As previously noted; the only time my build behaved normally was when I ran Outlook with a single POP acount and NO connector

I wonder why a patch has not being released for us - one must suspect that it has already been solved for the beta passed out recently to seleted testers :--/ 

Friday, March 26, 2010 8:16 PM
  • I'm certain it is the connector.  Mine has been behaving bug-free for two weeks now, since I converted 3 Hotmail accounts to pop3, and completely uninstalled the connector.  Hotmail is fussy about the connections, though, and you have to set hotmail pop3 with specific settings manually; the automatic setup will fail.  I outlined how to do this in this thread, scroll to the bottom:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/64a2e566-e8c9-4adf-b0c6-bf90e4c9ea84/

This worked on two different computers so far for me, one with Vista x32, and the other with Win7 x64.

Hope this helps!

Friday, March 26, 2010 11:29 PM
  • I'm certain it is the connector.  Mine has been behaving bug-free for two weeks now, since I converted 3 Hotmail accounts to pop3, and completely uninstalled the connector.

It can't be just the connector though, as some people - like me - had never installed it, nevermind used it. I'd never even heard of the thing before I came across this thread! I suspect that the error is something deeper within Outlook itself, and that the connector is the most common trigger.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:48 AM
  • "It can't be just the connector though, as some people - like me - had never installed it, nevermind used it. I'd never even heard of the thing before I came across this thread! I suspect that the error is something deeper within Outlook itself, and that the connector is the most common trigger."

Apologies, I should have qualified that statement.  I should have said that I am certain that it was the connector causing my problems, on my two computers, because the problem went away after uninstalling the connector.

You are right that there are other bugs there creating the same result, because I found that a pop3 account, particularly a Hotmail pop3 account, will cause the very same conditions if you don't set it up to specific values, some of which don't make a lot of sense (see my link above).

And then, there is the fact that using the automatic wizard to define Hotmail settings failed every time.  So yes, there are definitely other bugs.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Ah yes, with you now. Quickly glancing through your explanation, it looks like your POP issues were more related to an undocumented, exacting and strange configuration required by Hotmail - but if it was causing the crash etc, then yes, odd to be triggering that.

All really very odd indeed. I hope that they patch it or release a new Office 2010 beta/RC soon!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Reporting back - since I removed Send/Receiving* for Hotmail in Outlook 2007 the latter has been stable (i.e. Send/Receive works fine for all other accounts, no hanging on last email, app exits cleanly without leaving gray icon in systray etc.).

[Tools, Send/Receive, Send/Receive Settings, Define SEnd/Receive Groups] then removed the Hotmail entry.

HTH

(incidentally, all my other longstanding accounts that have worked fine for years are POP3)

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:25 PM
  • I keep seeing responses that all zero in on only ONE issue - that the Hotmail connector is causing ALL of these troubles and simply removing it will dramatically change the performance of Outlook. To me, that is a red herring - pure and simple, as none of my installations have ever sniffed an Outlook-Hotmail connection. I am the only one that is experiencing this on virgin beta install? I have seen several posts elsewhere that all say this glitch has occurred in past, present and apparently future Outlook editions. I only want to stop beating the dead horse (Hotmail solution) and get some input from an MS higher up. And trust me all the smiley and sad faces sent to MS must be going into an abyss in Redmond as I have receive no feedback there at all.

Color me and my company still frustrated and unable to use Outlook on more than one machine!

JIM in Fla

Monday, March 29, 2010 2:49 PM
  • I keep seeing responses that all zero in on only ONE issue - that the Hotmail connector is causing ALL of these troubles and simply removing it will dramatically change the performance of Outlook. To me, that is a red herring - pure and simple, as none of my installations have ever sniffed an Outlook-Hotmail connection. I am the only one that is experiencing this on virgin beta install? I have seen several posts elsewhere that all say this glitch has occurred in past, present and apparently future Outlook editions. I only want to stop beating the dead horse (Hotmail solution) and get some input from an MS higher up. And trust me all the smiley and sad faces sent to MS must be going into an abyss in Redmond as I have receive no feedback there at all.

Color me and my company still frustrated and unable to use Outlook on more than one machine!

JIM in Fla

Jim,

My connector- and Hotmail-free installation was an upgrade from Office 2007, running on Windows 7 (32 bit). I think someone else toward the beginning of this thread was also connector-free and on a clean install, if that's any consolation. You're definitely not alone though!

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:41 PM
  • I also had it happen with, as well as without the connector, and had to manually set up my pop accounts with special settings to prevent the problem.  I've outlined my settings for hotmail in a post above, but YMMV.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 9:47 PM
  • @JIM in Fla

........and get some input from an MS higher up. And trust me all the smiley and sad faces sent to MS must be going into an abyss in Redmond as I have receive no feedback there at all.

Couldn't have summarised better myself; MS seem to have assigned this issue over to the Official Secrets Act

All seems a bit unfair as there are obviously thousands of willing testers frustrated by this problem

I have pointed out before that all my accounts work flawlessly under Thunderbird 3; all I ask is that Outlook, at least, mirrors that model. To reiterate an earlier observation - collecting email is fairly key to the Outlook installation

Just off to collect my post.........................

:--/

Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:44 AM
  • This issue has just raised it's ugly head again for me.

I renamed the pst file and allowed Outlook to create a new one and suddenly the send/receive worked...

Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:21 PM
  • I have tried just about every suggestion on this forum, and a few of my own ideas, but OUTLOOK 2010 (32 BIT) will not work at all!  I am sooo frustrated.  I added outlook connector, I deleted outlook connector, I've changed my accounts to POP, I've uninstalled and reinstalled O, and spent hours pouring over countless suggestions.  For now I am ditching O 2010 for 2007.  I wasnt having any problems with it.  If anyone comes up with anything let me know.  The only thing that I found I was able to solve was the hang up problem when starting 0 2010.  Once Outlook connector was gone and the SAS app., I was able to open and close O without any issue, but my emails are still hanging on send/recieve.  I dont feel like MS has thought this one through all the way, and dont want to waist my money till MS comes up with a solution.  Whenever I email tech support, I get zero help.  Anyways, I just felt like adding my rant and my two cents, but if anyone does find a solution that actually works and doesnt involve registry keys or outlook connector and SAS (already tried this), PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Well it would seem that Office/Outlook 2010 has reached RTM.

Let's hope that this basic function of an email client has been fixed!
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Well it would seem that Office/Outlook 2010 has reached RTM.

Let's hope that this basic function of an email client has been fixed!

Yep - Amen to that!!!

Anyone had confirmation of when the RTM reaches TechNet/MSDN ??

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Similar problems

Firstly, I can only Send/Receive if I disable the firewall in Windows Live One Care I have entered the CVH.Exe as an OK site but that doesn't seem to work!!! Any ideas, because it is not practical to keep disabling the firewall.

Secondly, again on Outlook, but so far not for Word or Note, my laptop screen goes into "not responding" at start up too frequently. This may be my laptop - but it does not do it with Outlook 2007 - or could it possibly be because I have Outlook 2007 still installed? Have to do this though until I solve the sending/receiving problem!!  Nevertheless if it works ok on 2007 it should do so on 2010.

Bill

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Have now installed the full version Office Professional Pro 2010 and run up Outlook; allowing it to auto install Hotmail Connector beta.  After first reboot all seems well so we will see how it behaves over next 12 hours :--?

Whoops - I have just stopped and started Outlook and the whole program went in to hang.....

It did recover the situation itself by eventually allowing me to close down. Now I am getting *Outlook (Not Responding)* errors to which I need to select closedown and allow Microsoft to recover itself

I must leave it for now but sadly the whole thing is a bit flaky... I confess that this is not a clean build:

I uninstalled the beta; rebooted and installed the new flavour..A clean build will take a bit more time and may just solve this issue....I may try that very soon depending on incoming workloads

Friday 23 April 2010

Friday, April 23, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Outlook 2010 RTM is working flawlessly for me. Installed on same machine that previous Outlook 2010 Beta would hang and require killing the Outlook process with Task Manager after each startup to make it work. Windows 7 64bit version and 64bit for all Office software.

So far no problems with the RTM build using the exact same email accounts both POP/SMTP and MAPI.

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Yep - I have given up for now

I have removed Connector and used POP settings for a Hotmail account and, of course, all went well

I just cannot get the MAPI accounts to run

I assume psolutons is using the Hotmail Connector beta??

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:29 PM
  • No, after installation it installed a new Hotmail Connector. A message appeared after I opened Outlook that it needed to be updated. It updated and installed version 14.0.4763.1000.

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:47 PM
  • No, after installation it installed a new Hotmail Connector. A message appeared after I opened Outlook that it needed to be updated. It updated and installed version 14.0.4763.1000.

Y - I got the upgrade message for connector; but it upgraded? me to a beta version

Would psolutions be able to confirm that this wasn't a beta flavour of connector

If so I would dearly love to get hold of the full version to try it with my hotmail.com accounts; that might just solve all my MAPI issues

I am out of the office now for about 3 hours and will look for a reply on my return

Thanks tp psolutions if you can get back to me and I will tinker with these solutions on my return

:--)

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:56 PM
  • The version installed on mine shows under control panel programs and features:

Name - Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector 64-bit. Publisher - Microsoft Corporation. Installed On - 4/22/2010. Size 4.62MB. Version 14.0.4763.100

Mine is not the beta version of hotmail connector. It did a separate install with approvals required.

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:28 PM
  • @psolutions

Thanx for that. For this system I am using Win7 64bit but Office 32 bit and then the Hotmail Connector it installed was the 32 bit flavour to support the 32 bit office

Can you confirm that you are using 64 bit Office and not 32 before I re clone my system

Thanx

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:57 PM
  • I ended up reformatting my computer, reloading Win 7 etc....downloaded the latest Beta of Office...and the problem was solved.

Cheers.

T.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:16 AM
  • For tophawk:

Can you confirm that you are using 64 bit Office and not 32 before I re clone my system

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Office Professional Plus RTM 64bit.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:21 PM
  • @psolutons

Appreciate the reply. I was using W7_64 & Office_32 RTM with Hotmail Connector beta which generated very flaky results

I have decided to run with *2 ISP POP accounts and 1 Hotmail POP account until I get time to road test with the full version Connector

*This configuration, of course, works flawlessly and has done through very many restarts thus far :--)

The balance of my accounts I will collect elsewhere until I test (soon, I hope) the full RTM Outlook/Connector 32 bit configuration

In fairness to Microsoft here - I must stress that the flakiness thus far was encountered using a beta of Hotmail Connector

Cheers ;--)

Saturday, April 24, 2010 10:30 PM
  • I am still experiencing the problem on a system that does not have the Connector installed. Test machine is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with Office 2010 x86 RTM. The machine previously had Office 2007 installed on it, which was removed prior to installation of 2010.

Send/Receive for IMAP accounts will stall and never finish. There were 3 IMAP accounts in the profile. I tried clearing the accounts and re-adding them, and then eventually deleting the entire mail profile. Send/receive still stalls, even in safe mode.

The system does not have any anti-virus software installed.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:34 AM
  • @admin_sc

I had an identical (re)build and had similar problems until I switched my IMAP to POP and rebuilt again without Connector - this works for me

Therefore, I don't know what came first - the chicken or the egg :--?

I still use Thunderbird to collect my multiple Hotmail.com accounts (flawlessly) and use O 2010 RTM for my two ISP POP accounts and my single headline Hotmail.com account (flawlessly) [Just three acoounts in all]

I have not yet tested the full RTM Outlook with a full release of of Connector {it just seems to go on & on & on}

Here's hoping :--/

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:47 PM
  • @tophawk

Just seen this mentioned on another forum, maybe it will help?

Office team releases new Outlook Hotmail Connector

Hello, I'm Alessio Roic from Microsoft Outlook, guest-blogging here today to make an important announcement. After several months of beta testing, Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 has officially been released!

Why use Outlook Hotmail Connector?

If you have been using Outlook Connector 12.1, you already know that it allows you to manage your Windows Live Hotmail e-mail, calendar, and contacts from within Outlook. Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 introduces several improvements. For example, you might notice after upgrading that the connection to Hotmail is more reliable than before, and issues such as blank messages being synchronized to Outlook have been fixed.

Continued here

• Edited by BrowniMFC Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:39 AM Typo
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:38 AM
  • @BrowniMFC

Many thanks for that

I have now got used to running Outlook for my main (POP) accounts and Thunderbird collects the balance (POP and IMAP)

It actually makes the whole procedure a bit neater - in that I can continue to collect email every five minutes in Outlook while using another client to collect at a longer interval

I will do a full rebuild with O 2010 and Connector 14 when I get time - but for my day to day system I will run with this configuration for now

Thanks again for the heads up on the forum and would still appreciate any feedback on the smooth running or otherwise of the RTM plus Connector 14

Cheers

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:34 AM
  • At the risk of jinxing myself, I wanted to report that my Outlook 2010 w/ Outlook Connector on a 32 XP platform is working with 3 pops and hotmail all onboard. No hang ups, CtrlAltDel or anything. Its working normally. Two weeks ago my Blackberry went for an unplanned swim and in an effort to reinstall my new one and get it synching properly I went back and uninstalled the Connector and reinstalled.  I'm passing this along in case anyone wants to try downloading the latest Connector.  I don't know if a fix was made or if I somehow manged to get the right sequence of events but it is definitely working with respect to my e-mails (over two weeks).

PS - There is a problem synching a Blackberry to O2010 with the connector (error: NO message stores available) but RIM is not yet supporting Office 2010.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:02 PM
  • @Alemeg

Good reassuring info that

I assume you are using the latest release of Connector?

I think (famous last....) it is Outlook Connector Office 2010 32bit 14.0.4763.1000

Here's hoping - although I am waiting, as I said , for available time to do a clean rebuild

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Alemeg and Tophawk are correct!! Last week Microsoft Updates automaicallly updated my Outlook Connector to the 14.0.4763.1000 but it did not fix my hang but it did break my Business Contact Manager for Outlook. So today I uninstalled the Connector and then reinstalled it. Once I restarted Outlook I renabled Business Contact Manager and just used my existing Data File and it worked just fine. I then added my Hotmail (IMAP) accounts - 3 of them in addition to the 5 POP3 accounts already configured. Send receive only hung up again and even though I restarted [task manager kill] Outlook 3 times it hung every time. I then restarted the computer and it works perfectly every time (12 exits and restarts of Outlook now) with no process left running in the Task Manager.

Thank you all.

Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2010, ver. 14.0.4536.1000 (32-bit)

No Rookie
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:25 AM
  • @tophawk

Would you believe it did again to me today!

Working ok on the PC at 4PM, I leave the PC switched on and come back to it around 8pm and it had froze on send/receive! Now I know it's not a software issue.

I think I may have found the solution in my case (remember I don't use the connector, although this may be appropriate for yourself and others)

Upon checking the PST file O2010 reckoned it was in 1997-2002 format which will only allow something like a 2GB file or 65,000 items and my PST file was hitting those limits.

I've created a new profile within Outlook and created a new PST file which doesn't have those limits so hopefully it's fixed here. (Bit of a pain copying all the data across manually though!)

Note the important part there is creating the new profile as otherwise it appears to pick up previous settings for the PST file.

YMMV

Good luck!

Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:15 AM
  • @BrowniMFC

Hmmm!!

With using a second client now (Thunnderbird) I keep a pretty tight ship on the .pst front. It is an imported 2007 but only about 1/2 gb and about 1,000 items, which doesn't seem excessive and well within perceived problem limits

I really do need to isolate some time and come at it again fresh with a new build; and I can see an advantage in using a clean .pst - but what a pain !!!!

The longer I leave it the more I am tempted to stay with my dual client solution. If it ain't broke.........

In two weeks now I haven't had a problem, and my mail is always there

Can anyone remind me - if you set up a NEW .pst, can you import addresses and mail from the old 2007 flavour?

Answers on a postcard ;--)

Cheers

Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:18 AM
  • @Starfleet

........... be interested to discover if all is still well after a couple of days :-?

Cheers

Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:20 AM
  • @tophawk

Since I last posted here I have had no issues save for one. If I am viewing email from an IMAP account the send receive hangs up. If I change to view a message from a POP3 account, it all goes through no problem. This covers 8 (5 POP & 3 IMAP) email accounts don't forget so this is not a fluke. This is a minor quirk to me and I can live with it - in Beta. My send/receive is set to send every 15 minutes (just enough time to save myself from saying why did I send that) and my .pst file is massive compared to what we are discussing here. It is 8.67 GB and it is working perfectly. I have one .pst file for 4 POP3 accounts and a seperate one for the 5th one.

I started this process a decade or so ago with an Outlook 97 install and used the backup utility from MS to create a backup .pst file from that version and every version from then to now. I have used every new version as it came out and always imported my data file into the new version this way. This version lets you simply use the back up .pst file as your normal data file and it is not stored in that ridiculous hidden location either. Now I will gladly pay for the final version as gettng my monies worth.

Good Luck all!

No Rookie
    Friday, May 07, 2010 7:22 AM
  • @Starfleet

Thanks for getting back and sharing that info

You have inspired me with renewed confidence :--)

I have followed a similar path with the exception that I have never imported a file but continue to use a pre-existing .pst file stored on a different (to the C:) drive

I guess it is about time I used a new .pst and imported the old stuff in

Finally, Starfleet, when you do import your existing stuff into your newly created  .pst, I assume that you get all your addresss and email over safely?

Cheers

Friday, May 07, 2010 8:25 AM
  • I forgot to add that if you use Business Contact Manager as I do it is also a seperate backup/restore process.

• Edited by Starfleet Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:56 PM Additional Information
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:50 PM
  • @Starfleet

Thanks - Yep, I am happy with the file manipulation but I had never got around to doing an import with O 2010 to check its stabiity.

It is the sort of task I use regularly on clients' systems but I have for many years just used my pre existing .pst and pointed to it when (re)installing

Picking up a point on your earlier post I notice that you BACKUP your .pst then import into a new version of Outlook

The slight difference here is that my .pst is located on a distant drive, within a personal folder, and has always been available, therefore, to be just 'pointed' to on a new installation

Thanks again for your feedback ; you have saved me time on a couple of test re-installs

Cheers

PS I think some of your final post has been edited out

Sunday, May 09, 2010 5:15 PM
  • @Starfleet

Thanks for getting back and sharing that info

You have inspired me with renewed confidence :--)

I have followed a similar path with the exception that I have never imported a file but continue to use a pre-existing .pst file stored on a different (to the C:) drive

I guess it is about time I used a new .pst and imported the old stuff in

Finally, Starfleet, when you do import your existing stuff into your newly created  .pst, I assume that you get all your addresss and email over safely?

Cheers

I probably wouldn't use Import for that function - I'd drag and drop the items from one PST to the other.  Import can mess with item dates sometimes and cause some other minor issues.  I'm not as strongly opposed to it as some of the other Outlook MVPs are, but unless you just can't copy from one PST to the other I'd probably avoid using Import.

You mention your PST file is not on your C: drive?  Is it on your local machine or on a networked location?

-B-
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Can anyone remind me - if you set up a NEW .pst, can you import addresses and mail from the old 2007 flavour?

The 2007 and 2010 formats are the same.  No problem moving back and forth between PST files from either version.
    -B-
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 5:44 PM
  • @ Ben M Schorr

I probably wouldn't use Import for that function - I'd drag and drop the items from one PST to the other.  Import can mess with item dates sometimes and cause some other minor issues.  I'm not as strongly opposed to it as some of the other Outlook MVPs are, but unless you just can't copy from one PST to the other I'd probably avoid using Import.

You mention your PST file is not on your C: drive?  Is it on your local machine or on a networked location?

I keep the .pst on Disk 01 (Disk 00 for the system) and make regular backups to a different logical drive; then nightly backups to two separate external HDs

Not sure what you mean by drag and drop the items between PSTs; are you referring to having two instances of Outlook open?

I have always been uneasy about import functions, which is why I have an ancient PST file

I have worked on the theory that if the existing PST is not broken ........

Would you be able to advise me - is there any disadvantage in me continually running a .pst file created many years ago?

BTW, really appreciate the feedback

Sunday, May 09, 2010 6:33 PM
  • @ Ben M Schorr

I keep the .pst on Disk 01 (Disk 00 for the system) and make regular backups to a different logical drive; then nightly backups to two separate external HDs

Not sure what you mean by drag and drop the items between PSTs; are you referring to having two instances of Outlook open?

I have always been uneasy about import functions, which is why I have an ancient PST file

I have worked on the theory that if the existing PST is not broken ........

Would you be able to advise me - is there any disadvantage in me continually running a .pst file created many years ago?

BTW, really appreciate the feedback

I have some info on it posted here:  Troubleshooting Outlook - http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm

If your PST file created many years ago is a UNICODE file (i.e. Outlook 2003 or 2007 or 2010 format) then it's fine.  If it's an older, binary, PST file then I'd upgrade it to the newer format.

It might not be a bad idea to run SCANPST on it (if you haven't already) just to make sure it's clean. See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#scanpst

-B-
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 7:07 PM
  • @tophawk

If you follow Ben's advice you will see 2 PSTs open within Outlook (the new one and your existing one) and then you can move your items from one to the other.

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL PST though (sorry for shouting, actually no I'm not)

Sunday, May 09, 2010 10:20 PM
  • @tophawk

If you follow Ben's advice you will see 2 PSTs open within Outlook (the new one and your existing one) and then you can move your items from one to the other.

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL PST though (sorry for shouting, actually no I'm not)

Yes, exactly right on both counts.
    -B-
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 10:49 PM
  • @Ben M Schorr; @BrowniMFC

Now back in circulation (Monday 0915h)

Many thanks for the advice & input; very much appreciated

I like the shouty bit - I do have a gold medal for backing up anything that doesn't move ;--)

@Ben - nice website !!

@BrowniMFC - thanks for stayin' around so long on this thread

Now let's earn some money.....

BFN

CYA

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:20 AM
  •  

Hi, hope this is the correct thread for this.

Have tested the beta for some time and always get the send/receive error. Now have installed the trial of the release
    14.0.4760.1000 32bit version and still get the send/receive error.

Error text:
    Task '@hotmail.com' reported error (0x80004005) : 'There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account
    is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web. Error: 4202. '

Have tried accessing mail on the web but no success.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:59 AM
  • So you can't even log into Hotmail.com via the web browser?  If that's the case then it's not an Outlook issue - it's something with your Hotmail account - either a bad username or password most likely.
    -B-
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:08 AM
  • So you can't even log into Hotmail.com via the web browser?  If that's the case then it's not an Outlook issue - it's something with your Hotmail account - either a bad username or password most likely.
    -B-

Hi Ben

No have no problem with login via web and all tasks complete successfully, it's really just this error message appears even though has completed ok. Same Hotmail user account since 2000.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:25 AM
  • I have the exact same issue as above, driving me nuts
    Friday, May 14, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Ditto - me too. I have installed the new Outlook connector with Office 2010 RTM, and it starts the Send/receive but never gets anywhere! Argh!
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:30 AM
  •  

Hello all

By killing OUTLOOK.EXE Process in Windows Task Manager does the job in occasions.

But is only a workaround not a real solution.

Any one knows how to fix this for good?

I just to have Outlook 2007 with 3 Hotmail accounts and Outlook Connector: From there I updated to 2010 Beta.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and using windows firewall and disabled the antivirus software.

My guess is that: By fresh installing Outlook 2010 it should be fine...as it seems that the issue appear to users that updated from 2007

But clearly we need a better solution than that.

Regards

Span1shUk

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:10 PM
  • When you upgrade 2007 (which was 32-bit only) to 2010 64-bit it will not work.  2010 64-bit says it cannot upgrade the 32-bit and it must be uninstalled first.

So this issue is not just with those who upgrade their 2007 to 2010 and keep the 32-bit.

The solution that worked for me was a fresh install of the whole OS and Office 2010 (without upgrading).  Ensuring Outlook Connector was not installed, kept my addons to a minimum and used pop3 for all my accounts.  You can try IMAP, but in my situation I have too many email accounts to remember passwords for.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:01 AM
  • All still works OK here with 2010 and NO connector installed

In this instance with 2007 uninstalled and 2010 then installed

No rebuilds - just plain vanilla uninstall :--0

Using both POP and IMAP

Happy Days

PS I took Microsoft's recommendation and use the 32 bit flavour over a 64 bit Windows 7; based on the principle that there was nothing to gain by using 64 bit 2010

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Sadly, as of Jan 2010, this issue persists with Outlook 2007.

In my opinion, the issue is most noticeable when (1) opening an email received from someone-@-AOL.com or (2) opening an email that contains resources located on the internet (graphics).

I tried disabling all non-Microsoft add-ins from the Trust Center, as one post suggested (http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/tabspace/thread/a7fac3ef-6e09-43ca-bc2b-00b37d639c6a/) but doing so did not provide a remedy to the issue on my WinXP Pro system.

Regardless, here are the steps I took:

Outlook > Tools > Trust Center > Add-ins > under Manage (bottom),
    choose COM Add-ins > Clicked GO.

I then highlighted PDFMOutlook and clicked Remove button.

I repeated this action for all Add-ins shown, with the exception of the
    iTunes Outlook addin (needed for iPhone outlook sync), Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging,
    Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server Colleague Import, Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service,
    Microsoft VBA for outlook, and Outlook change notifier.

Next, under Manage, I chose Exchange Client Extensions > Clicked GO.

I then unchecked "McAfee Anti-Spam" and clicked OK (personal preference; I don't need
    McAfee to assist me with spam recognition).

In Outlook > File > Data File Management, I have two PST files. One is the main PST (60MB) while the other is where the archive feature relocated items as necessary (300MB). Both PST files are on my local system and neither are excessively large, as previously mentioned.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:11 PM
  • So very glad I ran across this thread. My Outlook install developed a problem about a month ago of hanging at the last recieved email and just sit waiting for closure or something. Was driving me nuts. As others have tried I dumped the Outlook Connector and no more problems. Life is good again. Thanks to all.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 11:37 AM
  • I have tolerated this problem for years.  I could always start outlook, get all my emails, then had to use task manager to kill outlook before I could start it again to get email again.  I had disabled every add-in except connector with no luck.  Finally, I just tried disabling the outlook connector add-in and that solved the problem.

I find it mind-boggling that the worst email accounts to use with outlook are microsoft accounts.  I have an @msn.com account that I have had for a decade.  I even pay for it.  But it is terrible.  I've almost migrated everything away from it.  Why doesn't Microsoft allow Pop3 for their own email?  I recommend gmail or yahoo email accounts for anyone planning to use Outlook.  Avoid hotmail, live, or msn.com accounts.

Rob Kraft

Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:38 AM
  • I have tolerated this problem for years.  I could always start outlook, get all my emails, then had to use task manager to kill outlook before I could start it again to get email again.  I had disabled every add-in except connector with no luck.  Finally, I just tried disabling the outlook connector add-in and that solved the problem.

I find it mind-boggling that the worst email accounts to use with outlook are microsoft accounts.  I have an @msn.com account that I have had for a decade.  I even pay for it.  But it is terrible.  I've almost migrated everything away from it.  Why doesn't Microsoft allow Pop3 for their own email?  I recommend gmail or yahoo email accounts for anyone planning to use Outlook.  Avoid hotmail, live, or msn.com accounts.

Rob Kraft

Amen, i tolerated as well. Outlook connector is the culprit. I might migrate away to the new shinny object (google) 

~

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:53 PM