none
Outlook 2010 - Multiple Exchange Accounts - Won't send from second account

Question

• I've setup multiple exchange accounts in Outlook 2010.  I receive fine for both accounts, but cannot send from second account.  Sent email goes to the Outbox and stays there.

I've tried going back to a second profile, and it works fine.  Mail in Outbox from efforts above stay in Outbox.  If I pull them up, I can resend with no issue.

I need to be able to send with multiple accounts in same profile to do other projects I'm currently working on.  Any ideas???

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Please make sure that you've turned ON authentication for the outgoing mail.

Click File->Info->Account Settings, choose your second account and click Change...

In Change Account window, click More Settings...

Select the Outgoing Server tab, and check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.  Verify Use same settings as my incoming mail server is marked as well.

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:08 AM
  • There is no Outgoing Server tab.  This is setup to access an exchange server.  There is nothing that indicates SMTP.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Did you ever get a resolution to this problem. I've got exactly the same issue.

Rgds,

Charles

Monday, October 25, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

I have just been shown this:

1) Make sure the person who needs access to the mailbox has "full access"

2) On their computer, close Outlook if its open, then go to Start>Control Panel>Mail>Email Accounts>New...>Add the mailbox, just like adding the primary account manually.

3) Then set the new/mailbox account as Default

Thanks,

James

James Rayner
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:05 PM
  • well, changing the default mail account did not solve the problem.

In my case I have 2 Exchange accounts, first one is defined on local network (company net) and second one is defined through HTTP proxy access on Exchange in different company. I'm getting emails on both accounts, this is OK, but I cannot send emails without closing and opening Outlook. In fact, it looks like this. I create mail in Account1, hit send and mail is sent. then I create mail in Account2 and mail is moved into Outbox. I need to exit Outlook, open it again and then mail is sent. funny is, this closing/opening somehow switches the mail account form which the mail is sent. when I sent new mail from Account2 mail is sent OK, but mail from Account1 is moved to Outbox ...

any idea what's going on? how to solve this problem?
    thanks
    p.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 12:45 PM
  • I've been having this problem as well, and have found countless message boards with others with the exact same issue as Peter describes above.  2 Exchange accounts, can send from only one at a time, and closing/re-opening Outlook toggles between being able to send from account 1 and account 2.  This does not appear to be an issue with settings on the Exchange server, as setting up the same two Exchange accounts on other PCs does not replicate the problem (i.e., user is able to send from both accounts without closing/re-opening Outlook).

Has anyone identified a solution to this issue yet?

Thanks,

David

Sunday, April 08, 2012 5:28 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue. 2 Exchange accounts... can send from the primary, but sending from secondary fails with messages stuck in the secondary accounts outbox. There is also a 3rd option where you can "send as" the second account, but sent items are queued in the primary accounts outbox and then saved in the primary accounts "Sent Items" folder. The message sends correctly, but saves to the wrong sent items. This is done by going to "from" in the message, and selecting "other email address"... here you can specify "from" address, and what account to deliver the message with...

I found this workaround to have sent items go to the correct sender:

http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com/2011/03/outlook-2010-shared-mailbox-sent-items.html

Items will still go through the primary accounts outbox to send, but they will be moved to the secondary accounts sent items folder. Not a perfect solution, but a decent workaround.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:47 PM
  • I've setup multiple exchange accounts in Outlook 2010.  I receive fine for both accounts, but cannot send from second account.  Sent email goes to the Outbox and stays there.

I've tried going back to a second profile, and it works fine.  Mail in Outbox from efforts above stay in Outbox.  If I pull them up, I can resend with no issue.

I need to be able to send with multiple accounts in same profile to do other projects I'm currently working on.  Any ideas???

Thanks,

Mike

I was able to fix this with Outlook 2010 Service Pack 1.

• Another area that I had to change was the inbox for that other account I created a rule to put in the primary inbox folder (email 2).
      • After that the email was only checking one to send and recieve based on the highlighted account, so to resolved that I went to Send/Reveive Groups > Define Groups > Edit Account Properties and made sure they refresh every 1 minute(s).

solutions are not always answers

• Proposed as answer by ChadChadChad Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:31 PM
    • Edited by ChadChadChad Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:57 PM People are not reading the solution
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Have the same issue.

1st account sends email normally.

2nd account queues email in Outbox.

Close Outlook and re-open:

1st account queues email in Outbox.

2nd account sends email normally.

Close Outlook and re-open:  back to first connection state.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Hi

I am not sure if you have already got an answer.  I've just resolved my similar problem (Outlook 2010).

I have added 1 additional Exchange mailbox into my profile, which has already 1 account and 2 additional mailboxes (under Account Settings/More Settings/Advanced/Opening Additional Mailboxes). Originally the IT colleague added it as "Opening Additional Mailboxes'.  And I could not send/reply any emails.

Then the new mailbox was set up as a new account in my profile, and I had the same problem as you did.

After lots of testing, I tried to delete the settings in "Opening Additional Mailboxes", then it worked!  Replying or composing emails from that account showed sender correctly.  Out-mails went into Outbox of that particular account and stayed in its Sentbox afterwards.

Believe that Outlook pre-recognized this new mailbox as an additional opened mailbox, not an independent account.   

Hope this helps.

KY-HK

• Edited by KY HK Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:50 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Not sure if you have resolve this yourself but I had a similar issue, this was resolved by selecting "Send/Receive" in the ribbon and then "Send/Receive Groups" and then making sure the option "Disable Scheduled Send/Receive" is selected.

This enable users to send from the which every mailbox they opt for in the email and no longer languishes in the outbox but sends as required and goes to the sent items as expected for the mailbox it was sent from.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi guys. it irritates me how no one ever puts a correct fix on here so i thought id tell you. i just had the problem and fixed it by restarting the Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission service on the Exchange server.

In this case the users were using Outlook 2007 on a terminal server and their outlook was connected via Proxy server information. Multiple users were affected hense why i immediately thought server issue.

Hope this helps further people with the matter and its about time real fix'es get uploaded here...

rant over :D enjoy

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:27 AM