none
Outlook 2007 error - "outlook does not recognize one or more names"

Question

• I have a single windows 7 64bit machine with office 2007 sp2 installed that cannot send email.  Specifically, when you create a new email and type in an SMTP address and hit send, outlook responds with "outlook does not recognize one or more names".

Here is how the issue developed:

Outlook was working and was pulling/sending email from a POP3 host. 

There is an SBS 2008 server in the environment, but exchange is not used.  An exchange account however was configured in outlook, but the POP3 account was the default.

The end-user decided he could delete the exchange account, after doing so outlook would not open due to the lack of a default data file.

I setup a new outlook profile and added the POP3 account as the default account.  Email is being received properly, but attempting to send yields the problem noted above.

I've created several new profiles with no luck, I've run scanpst.exe on the PST (62 errors found, but the send problem remains).

I've run a full virus check with 2 products, the system is coming up clean.

All the latest windows updates have been applied, EXCEPT office 2007 SP3 which fails to install.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:35 PM

Answers

• Already tried removing the address book after googling the problem but the option was greyed out.  We ended up removing and reinstalling outlook, insured that outlook did not auto-create an exchange profile for the SBS exchange server that wasn't being used, created a new profile and PST, then imported the data from their other PSTs.
    • Marked as answer by korbind Friday, May 04, 2012 8:52 PM
    • Edited by korbind Friday, May 04, 2012 8:54 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 8:52 PM

All replies

• The error message "Outlook does not recognize one or  more names." might occurs when the Outlook Address Book has become corrupted.

To resolve this issue, remove the Outlook Address Book, and then reinstall the Outlook Address Book.

To do so, follow these steps:

1.On the Tools menu, click Accounts Settings.
    2.Click Address Books tab
    3.Click Outlook Address Book, and then click Remove.
    4.Click Yes.
    5.Click Finish, and then restart Outlook.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 04, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Already tried removing the address book after googling the problem but the option was greyed out.  We ended up removing and reinstalling outlook, insured that outlook did not auto-create an exchange profile for the SBS exchange server that wasn't being used, created a new profile and PST, then imported the data from their other PSTs.
    • Marked as answer by korbind Friday, May 04, 2012 8:52 PM
    • Edited by korbind Friday, May 04, 2012 8:54 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:27 PM