none
Search users located in federated domains

Question

• Hello,

Simple question

I have setup a Lync infrastructure and enabled federation with another Lync infrastructure located in another non-trusted forest.

If I typed the full sip address of the federated users, I can add them into my contact and communicate with them.

However, I can't search any of them

What should I need to do so that I can have the search function work properly so that I can search all users including those from federation domains?

Please advice

Thank you very much

Andrew

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:53 PM

Answers

• This is not possible.  You don't have access to their Lync address book so you cannot search for enabled users in a federated domain.  You will need to know their SIP address and add them like you are already doing.  Plus, this would be a bit of a security concern if you could search other company's address books.

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington

Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean after you add a federation account to your lync client contacts group but you can not search it out in the lync client?

If yes, it should be searched out. But you can not search the federation contacts which don't exist in your lync or outlook client contacts group. Because the lync client just search the contacts from Lync Address book server, your outlook contacts, your lync contacts group and your Sharepoint contacts.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:51 AM

All replies

• This is not possible.  You don't have access to their Lync address book so you cannot search for enabled users in a federated domain.  You will need to know their SIP address and add them like you are already doing.  Plus, this would be a bit of a security concern if you could search other company's address books.

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington

Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Thank you for your reply

what will make this possible?

Can Forefront Identity Management (FIM) help on this?

Thanks

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean after you add a federation account to your lync client contacts group but you can not search it out in the lync client?

If yes, it should be searched out. But you can not search the federation contacts which don't exist in your lync or outlook client contacts group. Because the lync client just search the contacts from Lync Address book server, your outlook contacts, your lync contacts group and your Sharepoint contacts.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:51 AM
  • thank you for your reply

as I said, I can't even able to launch Lync Web App at a computer in the same subnet

Of coz I've tried to access the Lync Web App externally outside office (with Edge and Reverse Proxy using TMG configure), but still no luck

Thank you

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:48 AM
  • Hi,

Looks like your last post is talking about another question.

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Me too have the same query. How does the search behaves when searched for users under federated domain. Eg, logged in OCS client as abc.com SIP user, trying to search for a user in xyz.com which is federated, will it search?. Also how does it work when a contact is added for the same user in the GAL of home domain along with its SIP address?.

My actual problem is that the search is not working and says no result found, then user has to add thier contact in outlook manualy for search to happen each time. This was working earlier as per the client?. Also this issue happen for contacts where telephone number is updated, A contact without telephone number is searchable.

Thanks, Shiju

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:48 PM