none
Using IMAP and Outlook 2013 how do I create subfolders for Email?

Question

• When I am using IMAP in Outlook 2013 I seem to hit the same problem every time when I try and create a subfolder for my Email. An error window pops up and says "Your IMAP wants to alert you that the following Folders cannot be created in a system folder." And then the folder disappears.

Has anyone experienced this as well? Please help out.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

We haven’t noticed such behavior on our test environment.

According to my research, apparently your IMAP server won't allow what you're trying to do. Outlook

can only follow the methods allowed by the server.

For your situation, please try two ways:

1st. Just make a new folder and put it at the same level as the Inbox. There's nothing magic about where the folder is in the hierarchy.

2nd. If your server has a web interface, log in with that and see if you can create subfolders on the server side. Outlook will reflect them if it's allowed.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    • Proposed as answer by Stevenfan Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:39 AM
    Friday, August 02, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Hi,

We have not seen the issue with Outlook 2013. I would recommend you to check with your ISP on this issue. If you still feel that its issue related to Outlook and not ISP, I would recommend you to open phone support case w3ith Microsoft

To open a phone support case please contact Microsoft Customer Central on 1-800-936-4900. Alternatively you can visit http://support.microsoft.com/oas to create phone support case.

Hope this helps

Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:51 PM