none
Word 2010 not opening consistently

General discussion

• Hi,

I am trying to get Word 2010 to always open up maximised on my right hand side monitor.

I have tried all the normal ways like changing the properties and holding CTRL when I close the document but it just does not work. Documents always open up in a different way eiether in a smaller window or on the wrong side.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? quite a basic requirement.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to get Word 2010 to always open up maximised on my right hand side monitor.

I have tried all the normal ways like changing the properties and holding CTRL when I close the document but it just does not work. Documents always open up in a different way eiether in a smaller window or on the wrong side.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? quite a basic requirement.

Sorry, that came out a bit rude. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Word should open in a window size and place where it was last used to edit and save a document.

There are two ways that I've found to "force" it if Word seems to get stubborn.  The first way is to open the Normal.dotm template as a document. Drag the Word window to the right monitor, maximize the view, type then delete something on the page (this resets Word's save toggle switch, then save the Normal.dotm template, close and reopen Word.

The second way involves shutting down your system, removing the left monitor connection, starting the system (with only the right monitor connected), then open a Word document, make a dummy edit and save the file.  Then shutdown the system, reconnect the monitor, restart and open Word.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Thanks for replying Rich.

I tried both methods and they didn't work. The one that involved editing the normal.dotm worked until i rebooted the machine but it also didn't work for other word documents. I am using a laptop with a monitor but it should work eiether way as I do use Dual Monitors as well.

Any other ideas ?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Sorry I don't really have any other ideas.  I didn't know that your configuration is a laptop and attached monitor.  I would imagine that the device driver for the internal monitor works differently than on a desktop.  If there is a setting in the control panel for designating the primary monitor you might try that.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:26 PM