none
Outlook 2010 Send / Receive Error -- 0x80042108

Question

• Hello, I am getting extremely frustrated... I have recently installed Office 2010 Professional Plus and had set up my Outlook 2010 and all was working fine. I had received my e-mails and had no issues. My four pop3 accounts stopped working a couple days ago now and NO SETTINGS were changed in my Outlook setting that I am aware of. I have verified and re-verified my account settings... They are fine for my pop3 accounts...

I was receiving a Send / Receive Error as listed below --

Task (1) - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have been reading some of the articles here and have been trying different things: Here is a little bit about my system --

Windows 7 64 bit. My Office Pro is 32 bit.

I am running Zone Alarm and AdAware. (I checked everything with their setting and Outlook and ALL MS products are allowed to operated).

I have deleted ALL four of my accounts and only have one account installed in my Outlook currently. With that, I am now Able to SEND but not able to receive.

HERE IS THE STRANGE PART ---

If I go through into the Control Panel, then to User Accounts and Family Safety, and Mail (32-bit) inside that screen. If I open up the Mail Setup-Outlook I see the only account I have installed still in Outlook 2010. If I test the Account Setting from here...  IT WORKS!  Both Send and Receive. Now I did the Same thing with ALL my other account still installed in Outlook 2010 and they too ALL WORKED!

Huh, I thought my issue was resolved and go into Outlook 2010 and run a Send Receive and guess...  I get the Same Send Receive Error: Opening up the Accounts Menu inside Outlook and Testing My Accounts through Outlook 2010 and Send / Receive produces an Error like below.

Task (1) - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

WHY...??  I am not sure what is going on but want to throw my computer out the window... (Only Kidding!) But I have tried everything I know and have even called for assistance in an Online Computer Assistance...  (Bad MOVE!) But I want to get my Outlook working again! I had Outlook Professional 2007 Installed and NEVER had any issues before this...

I hope someone can help me...

Thank you in advance,

Darius

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:09 AM

Answers

• DTSkyCop,

In case the issue is with one of your specific email accounts please try removing them all and then adding them back one at a time to see if you can determine which might be causing the error. 

Usually the error occurs with certain anti-virus programs as Harry previously noted.  Do you have Norton or any other anti-virus running?  I know you had tested with Zone Alarm uninstalled but in case it is simple to set you might try again temporarily turning off the antispam and email scanning features.  After doing that close Outlook and then restart it to give it a fair test.  Since anti-virus is so often the cause it is worth checking it again.

Are any of your accounts Live or Hotmail?  If so, are you using the Outlook Connector?

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 03, 2010 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue Usually caused by an incompatible Anti Virus email scanner, are you using an Anti Virus product setup to scan your email?

The following KB could help you solve your issue.

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and Outlook Express

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Regards,

Harry Yuan

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Harry, thank you for getting back to me. I look over the kb Article you gave me and I had seen that one before. I was NOT 100% sure the issue was not coming from my Zone Alarm Firewall / E-mail program so, I contacted Zone Alarm and spoke to a Tech. I completely UNINSTALLED ZoneAlarm from my system. I then ran my Outlook 2010 and RECEIVED the same exact message as above. The send part of my E-mail is working. I just CANNOT receive any e-mails. I am also NOT sure how long the Send portion will continue to work either. I only have ONE of the four accounts (pop3) I have installed. I tried changing to a NEW default account and that did not work either.

Does anyone else have ANY ideas now...? As I said above, if I access my Mail Setup through control panel, User Accounts and then clicking onto Mail (32-bit), I can install ALL my E-mails accounts and EVERYONE one of then Checks out with a Test Message! I have a Blackberry Cell phone and I receive the Test MEssages there as well when I TEST my account settings.

That being said, when I then Open Outlook 2010 to now access my E-mail accounts, NONE of them will RECEIVE but they will NOW send! WHY...??  I do not feel it has ANYTHING to do with my Zone Alarm being installed as it was completely UNINSTALLED when I conducted this test.

With ZoneAlarm Uninstalled, I also reinstalled Office Professional Plus 2010 using the Repair feature. Everything work on that and I rebooted my system when it was through. STILL NOTHING!

Any other suggestions...??  Anyone...??? Please...

Here is the latest message I received:

Task - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

On the Task Tab I see that the Sending option went through fine... It has a Green Check Mark. I then see Receive Failed as it has a Red Check Mark. I have RSS turned on and It too has a Green Check Mark next to it as it was completed during the check.

I have checked everything I know how to check.

Lost,

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:24 AM
  • DTSkyCop,

In case the issue is with one of your specific email accounts please try removing them all and then adding them back one at a time to see if you can determine which might be causing the error. 

Usually the error occurs with certain anti-virus programs as Harry previously noted.  Do you have Norton or any other anti-virus running?  I know you had tested with Zone Alarm uninstalled but in case it is simple to set you might try again temporarily turning off the antispam and email scanning features.  After doing that close Outlook and then restart it to give it a fair test.  Since anti-virus is so often the cause it is worth checking it again.

Are any of your accounts Live or Hotmail?  If so, are you using the Outlook Connector?

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 03, 2010 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:45 PM
  • have the same problem. have you managed to solve this issue?
    Friday, September 07, 2012 8:48 PM
  • I too am having a similar issue. My setting are set to SEND/RECEIVE every 10min. Two weeks ago, something changed and not the auto check send/receive is not running. I have changed time to 5 min and back to 10 min. Nothing. I have to manually check for incoming mail. I use exchange server, win7 64bit, no software anti virus outside of MS Sec Essentials. 
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:04 PM