none
Outlook 2013 no preview for .docx

Question

•   

Hello,

I have word and outlook 2013 x64 installed on a windows server 2008 R2 Sp1 (RDS server).

When I try to preview a word document attachment in outlook 2013 it display the message:

"This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it."

I can open the file, and I can save the attachement but not preview.

In Trust Center attachement hadling the Microsoft Word Previewer is checked on the list of previwers.

I tested by enable and disabling Word protected view, still unable to preview.

The exact same configuration works fine on windows 8.

Recreated the windows profile, logged in as local administrator, test different outlook users/profiles, repair outlook/word 2013 installation, DCOM permission are correct on the local machine... can't think what else I coud try.

Please advise

Thursday, September 05, 2013 7:12 AM

All replies

• Does it only happen when preview doc/docx file or all other file type in your Outlook preview?

If you install Office 2013 coexistence with Office 2010 or on an Active Directory domain controller, please let me know. Meanwhile, pleaes try repair Office 2013 in the control panele > Programms and features to check the result.

I've heard that if someone access Outlook 2013 via a RDP session and try to preview Office files and get the following error message "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it". If he accesses Outlook 2013 from his local machine, there is no issue whatsoever. If so, there is a known issue and hope would be fixed in future update.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support
    Friday, September 06, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Here the answers:

"Does it only happen when preview doc/docx file or all other file type in your Outlook preview?"

- only doc/docx file. I can preview pdf files for example.

"If you install Office 2013 coexistence with Office 2010 or on an Active Directory domain controller, please let me know. Meanwhile, pleaes try repair Office 2013 in the control panele > Programms and features to check the result. "

- no coexistence mode. the Server is new, and is a standalone intall (not in domain). As per opening post: already ran the repair install in both outlook and word 2013 - nothing change.

"I've heard that if someone access Outlook 2013 via a RDP session and try to preview Office files and get the following error message "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it". If he accesses Outlook 2013 from his local machine, there is no issue whatsoever. If so, there is a known issue and hope would be fixed in future update."

- There is no issue when users are running outlook locally on win7/8. Only on Windows 2008 r2 server. Event if I loggin on the server console, as admin or a local user, the same error happen

Is good to know that there is an update being issued. When can we expect to the next update to be released? It will be an office update, or a Windows server 2008 R2 update?

Thank you

• Edited by Aprylmsx Monday, September 09, 2013 11:19 AM
    Monday, September 09, 2013 11:16 AM
  • I want to know if there is any application installed in your Windows 2008 r2 server, or be an Active Directory domain controller role?

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:31 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Sorry for the delay on the reply.

The only applicaiton installed on the server are Outlook and word 2013.

The only role installed is RDS

The server is not a domain controllers, as in the mentioned on my previous post, the server is a standalone server - not a domain member.

Any ideas?

thanks

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:11 AM