none
Office 2013 Professional MSI's?

Question

• Good afternoon everyone,

Is Office 2013 Professional available as MSI files (for volume licencing) at all? I keep reading little bits and pieces, but only seem to be finding exe's, and the means to create MSP files through the ODT.

Are there any pre-packaged MSI files for Office 2013?

Friday, November 09, 2012 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

MS Office is a bundle of MSI files, all controlled by setup.exe

setup.exe is a front-end for the Office installation process.

You must use setup.exe to install Office products. This has been the case since Office2007, also for Office2010, and now for Office2013 products.

You can modify/customise the setup experience, and installation outcome, in a few different ways.

If you are seeking an MSI for installation via Group Policy, the recommendation is to use a script, such as a startup script, to invoke setup.exe

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Friday, November 09, 2012 7:16 AM
    Friday, November 09, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Thanks for that . What I'm looking at is to include individual applications of the Office Suite via the SCCM 2012 Application catalog. Is this at all feasible?
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Some Office applications are available as individual installers, but that requires you to hold the relevant per-application licenses.
    The licensing agreement treats these standalone applications as a different license, and forbids splitting bits from Office for use in different places, essentially, if you install even a single application from the bits sourced from an Office suite, you need an Office sute license.

You could use the Office suite source files to run an Office install but only enable/install a subset of features (eg run the Office ProPlus setup engine but configure it such that only Word/Excel/PowerPoint are installed/enabled), this still counts as a full license for ProPlus.

So, yes, you could create an app-model application deployment for various combinations of Office.
    Create several different OCT customisation MSPfiles, one MSPfile for each of the permutations you need.

It does sound fairly fiddly to me, but I guess you have a goal that leads you down this path?

Note that under Office2010, SharepointWorkspace is a bit tricky, but that may be addressed since SPW is removed in Office2013.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:29 AM
  • I am also trying to do this for use with Dell's ImageDirect tool. So there is no single MSI that can do an unattended install?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Finding 2013 MSI files is a real trick.

Office deployment tool (ODT) - can allow you to download installation files

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/technet/en-us/office/media/video/video.html?cid=otc&from=mscomoffice&VideoID=670e3969-0509-4d3a-a8a6-ffbe526d3e6f&src=v5:endslate:related^play:related_0&from=shareembed-syndication

Save 2013 Installation file - ISO image for OFFICE 2013

there is a way to save or create an ISO image for it by going to your office.com/myaccount.

Here are the steps you must follow for you to create an ISO file.

1. www.office/myaccount.
    2. Sign in using your Email and password which you provided during purchase.
    3. MY OFFICE” tab you will see the “ACCOUNT OPTIONS” part at lower left portion.
    4. INSTALL FROM A DISC” next page will shows “to get started please choose” options.
    5. I HAVE A DISC”.  (Another person had to use the "I want to burn a Disk" option (try both)
    1. Then insert the blank Disc into your CD/DVD burner and follow the instructions on screen.

“Who Moved My MSI” - Tale Of 2 Package Types - CTR vs MSI

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_resource_kit/archive/2013/03/05/the-new-office-garage-series-who-moved-my-msi.aspx

The text and video on this link compare the 2 types of installation in terms of bandwidth and disk space used. They are very close.

They demonstrate how “fast” a CTR/365 install is by doing one while parachuting. <grin>

Office Deployment Support Team Blog (index page)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/

Lots of interesting and useful “stuff” here.

Where did My MSI go - Deployment Video

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/technet/en-us/office/media/video/video.html?cid=otc&from=mscomoffice&VideoID=670e3969-0509-4d3a-a8a6-ffbe526d3e6f&src=v5:endslate:related^play:related_0&from=shareembed-syndication

10 minute comparison of MSI and CTR

Touches on corporate provisioning in”User Based License Model Activation”. Users activate/deactivate, but IT still has control to deprovision the license (starting at about minute 8:15).

Then in this video / article :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_resource_kit/archive/2013/03/20/the-new-office-garage-series-identity-activation-data-access.aspx

They again say the companies can still allow userid activation while maintaining control of the licenses through Active Directory

<snip>

Jeremy: So we showed the installation experience for a domain-joined computer where single sign on is enabled and one that is not domain-joined, but installs via the Office 365 portal. In the direct from portal case when you kick off the installation, you will see a file that looks something like this:

Setup.X86.en-us_O365ProPlusRetail_24*****-45a2-4eeb-b06f-b14****189c8_TX_PR_.exe

In a future episode we'll talk about all of the configurations needed to suppress completely sign-in, first run experiences and user prompts. IT admins have had to deal with these in past releases of Office, but now there are ways to automatically sign users in to Office 365 installs picking up their domain credentials. I also showed the effects of deleting the user account from the Azure AD store and how it put Yoni's Office into Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM) - even if Yoni installs Office on his personal devices using his organization's Office software assets, once Yoni leaves the org the IT department can deprovision his personal installs. That keeps software asset management cleaner and IT is in control.

Yoni: Don't forget we also had Mark Russinovich on the show and he explained the security model for online services with Azure AD - in your car. It sounds like they are taking the defense in depth approach to harden the service. And you made him slum it in your car, Jeremy.

</snip>

Deployment guide for Microsoft Office 2013

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2012/10/22/free-microsoft-ebook-deployment-guide-for-microsoft-office-2013.aspx

Free Download, 147 pg

Table of Contents

• Getting help
    • Volume activation of Office 2013
    • Plan volume activation of Office 2013
    • Volume activation methods in Office 2013
    • Deploy volume activation of Office 2013
    • Use tools to configure client computers in Office 2013
    • Customize installations of Office 2013
    • Customize Setup before installing Office 2013
    • Configure a silent installation of Office 2013
    • Create custom configurations of Office 2013
    • Office Customization Tool (OCT) in Office 2013
    • Config.xml file in Office 2013
    • Setup command-line options for Office 2013
    • Setup properties in Office 2013
    • Setup architecture overview for Office 2013
    • Customize the Accessibility Checker for Office 2013
    • Outlook 2013
    • Planning overview for Outlook 2013
    • Choose between Cached Exchange Mode and Online Mode for Outlook 2013
    • Plan a Cached Exchange Mode deployment in Outlook 2013
    • Plan feature customizations in Outlook 2013
    • Choose security and protection settings for Outlook 2013
    • Configure multiple Exchange accounts for Outlook 2013
    • Configure Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook 2013
    • Configure Outlook Anywhere in Outlook 2013
    • Configure junk e-mail settings in Outlook 2013
    • Roll out Office 2013
    • Install Office 2013 from the local installation source
    • Deploy Office 2013 from a network installation point
    • Deploy Office 2013 by using Group Policy computer startup scripts
    • Language in Office 2013
    • Plan for multi-language deployment of Office 2013
    • Customize language setup and settings for Office 2013
    • Add or remove language packs after deployment of Office 2013
    • Mixed language versions of Office 2013
    • Companion proofing languages for Office 2013
    • Language identifiers and OptionState Id values in Office 2013
    • Security in Office 2013
    • Security overview for Office 2013
    • Authentication in Office 2013
    • Plan for Information Rights Management in Office 2013
    • Group Policy for Office 2013
    • Planning for Group Policy in Office 2013

Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:25 AM
  • PS: If you do get a public download link for MSI files, please let us know what it is.

I haven't seen 2013 download of Office Pro. I have links for Pro Plus, if that is what you really need

This site has direct download links to Digital River for some Office bundles and standalone programs: Office 2013 Professional Plus / Office 2013 Language Pack / Project 2013 Professional / Visio 2013 Professional. You may have to scroll down to find your language. http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/73-office-2013-direct-download-links

Direct Download Link for Standalone Pro Plus Offline Installer (64-bit) (702 MB) (you must get trial Product Key separately)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219422 Pro Plus You can use the ODT to download the CTR installation files. You can use the ODT to create APP-V deployment packages

Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:28 AM