none
Outlook 2010 - PST file

Question

• From time to time, I need to load old email that is in PST file format, my problem is Outlook 2010 search feature does not work, is there any way to provoke the search in order to file emails in my PST file format.

I am running Outlook 2010 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to rebuild Indexing options

===============

1.       Click Start, in the Search box, type Indexing, and open Indexing Options under Control Panel.

2.       Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If this does not work, try repair Office program from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.\

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, November 05, 2010 1:57 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:25 AM

All replies

• When you do a search, after the initial search is completed, click "Try searching again in All Mail Items" link at the end of the search.  this works for me.

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I did this but it will only search my active OST file within Outlook 2010.     Do you have any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

Were you trying to search in the Inbox?

Open the PST file and search in the PST file, can you find the search result?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:16 AM
  • I trying to search a just opened PST file that I have on my local hard drive.     My inbox and all other current email does searches just fine.
    Friday, October 08, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

The issue might be related to the specific PST file. Try to repair it using scanpst.exe tool.

For details on how to use it, you can refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

Is the problem resolved?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:47 AM
  • No this has not be solved, no of the suggestion made any difference.     What I am doing is opening up pst file and then trying to do a search on it from within outlook, after I find what is needed I disconnect from that pst file.    No of my PST file are corrupted.     This is a problem with Outlook 2010 and the search.     I even tried to add the path of where the pst are stored locally.    In outlook 2007 this worked, it took sometime but it worked.    In Outlook 2010 the behavior changed.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

Try to rebuild Indexing options

===============

1.       Click Start, in the Search box, type Indexing, and open Indexing Options under Control Panel.

2.       Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If this does not work, try repair Office program from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.\

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, November 05, 2010 1:57 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:25 AM
  •  

Hi,

Is the problem resolved? 

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Sally,

We are still experiencing this problem, it seems when searching a PST file it takes so long to build the indexing to that file is there any way to speed this up as I most times need to look and find stuff few quicking in my PST file.    This happens under Outlook 2007 / Windows XP also.     I tried your recommendations and still it does not work, I basically have to open the PST file and wait until the index is build which on some of these PST file takes forever when doing so.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Still I am unable to fast index PST files, which makes it very difficult to search in PST files.  
    Friday, May 13, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Anyone?  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make performance a little better?
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:06 AM
  • How big is the pst file?

I wonder if the rebuilding of the index has not finished?  

I have just done a search on an old pst from the year 2010.  Some results where returned, however, in the status bar under the search bar it did say "Search results may be incomplete because items are still being indexed. Click here for more details."  

Upon clicking the message I was informed that 76182 items still needed indexing.

I then clicked on the Search ribbon bar.  Selected Search Tools and then selected Search Options.  This brought up a new dialog window, were I noticed that the Include Results from radio button did not say All Folders.  I have since selected this and started an Index Rebuild off.

Kind regards, Kev
    • Proposed as answer by kev.g.cole Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:17 AM
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:09 AM
  • I've got the same problem.

I've googled around and saw many suggestions like in this thread but still no luck.  Also check MS KBs.

Rebuilding index, using scanpst, reinstalling office, turning on/off services etc. but I still can't get PST files to index.

I even tried creating a new PST file (thinking my existing PST was somehow corrupt, too large,  or Office 2010 incompatible) and it wouldn't index.   Only my OST/mailbox. 

This is really annoying.  I used to use the "Lookout" search plugin but was hoping that Office 2010's built in search would eliminate the need for another tool.

Any other options?

Thanks

Mark

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:00 PM
  • After many hours, I finally found my problem!!  Or at least a solution to the problem.  The Microsoft experts will have to figure out the real underlying problem.

Uninstalling Outlook didn't fix it.  But it led me to a clue.  I noticed that I didn't need to reconfigure my mail accounts when reinstalling.  So obviously something was "sticky" w.r.t. my configuration that uninstall didn't wipe out.

So I had a hunch....how about trying a new mail profile.

So I went into the control panel->user accounts->mail and created a new mail profile.

I opened a PST file and all of a sudden my indexing started working beyond where it normally stopped.

Don't ask me what is messed up with my other mail profile, but I don't care.  Indexing and search of PST files is working!

I hope this workaround fixes others up too.

Thanks

Mark

• Edited by mark_criss42 Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:50 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by czarlives Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:49 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Thanks, this worked for me.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:49 AM