none
Word 2010 keeps crashing

Question

• Office 2010 with SP1 Microsoft Word keeps crashing when trying to open a .doc .docx or creating a new file from word itself. Running Windows 7 PRO 64 bit with SP1.
    • Moved by David WoltersModerator Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:48 PM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:58 PM

Answers

• First try running Word in safe mode and see if it corrects the situation. If it does than there is probably an add-in that is causing the problem.
    Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• First try running Word in safe mode and see if it corrects the situation. If it does than there is probably an add-in that is causing the problem.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:40 PM
  • So whats the add-in and how do i fix. 
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Look in Word's startup folder for any global add-in there. On Windows 7 and Vista the path is: C:\Users\<user Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word

Also from Word itself go to Word > File > Options > Add-ins and you can see a full list. At the bottom is a pull-down "Manage" menu. Look at Com Add-ins and Word Add-ins.  Thru a trial and error process of enabling and disabling you should be able to find the culprit.  Of course if you have a detail crash log that might also point you to the add-in directly.

As for fixing it, you'll have to contact the maker of the add-in.

• Proposed as answer by Mottern Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:40 PM
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:52 AM
  • I disabled "Send to Bluetooth" Under Com Add-ins and it stopped crashing!  Thanks for the tip!
    • Proposed as answer by Mottern Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:40 PM
    Friday, June 08, 2012 4:03 PM
  • This saved my butt thank you both
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Rich,

Thank you for your post. For many months now (due to being busy), I have had to work in Safe Mode when opening all the documents I had created.  It drove me crazy having to keep retrieving crashed documents. At one point I even reinstalled all my Window applications and that worked for two documents before it began crashing again and not allowing me to open files I had created.

Finally I had to make the time to figure this out and it turns out, that as “terpkirk” stated above, I also removed the “Send to Bluetooth” Com Add-In and “Presto”!!  All is well!

So thank you for making the effort in answering someone’s message. I ‘m sure we weren’t the only ones who benefited from this post.

All the best to you,

-Ira

• Proposed as answer by -Ira Friday, October 05, 2012 9:09 PM
    Friday, October 05, 2012 9:08 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I tried to disable the Add-On, "Send to Bluetooth".  I get the following message:  "The connected state of Office Add-Ins registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE cannot be changed".  Does anyone have any suggestions on this matter?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:19 AM
  • I have word 2010 crash when open file from interface after september last security and office upfates in Win7 pro in wor PC. I habe not save mode becouse it is for system admin, and he has mot time, but administrative pc account i have. I have only  one add-in MathType 6.8.  with version 6.7 there was in amother PC with xp sp3 also another ptoblem with word 2007 -  it go to error responce with close word window in top right. I try tommorrrow you recomendation, but what i do also? with 2007 we use ogfice 2008 reinstallation. ALSO crash was with 6.7 ver.mathtype . I reinstal to 6.8. It was also with updates.Why updates do this crash?

Georgiy

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:15 PM
  • This worked for me as well
    Friday, November 30, 2012 5:03 PM