none
Outlook 2010: Operation Failed when the email was saved as draft with a logo signature

Question

• Hi,

I'm facing with this issue since 1 week. All computers have Outlook 2010 installed and the server is Exchange 2010 with the roll-up 3 installed last week (more or less when the problems begun).
    After making a lot of tests, I determined the cause of my problem but I don't know how to fix it.
    All users are creating new emails with their default signature, including a logo in jpeg format.
    So there is no problem whether the email is sent directly without saving it.  This problem appears only if the email is saved in the draft folder and closed. After opening this draft we cannot send the email (error: The operation failed) except if the jpeg logo is deleted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Pandino_cz Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:16 PM mistake in the topic
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:14 PM

Answers

• I am updating my previous post to this thread with updated information.

Microsoft Exchange Support is currently working on this issue, and hopes to have a resolution soon.  The following symptoms & workarounds have been noted.

Symptoms:

An Outlook client may receive an “Operation failed” error message in Outlook when the following conditions are true:

·         The client is Outlook 2007 or 2010 in online mode. (This does not reproduce in cached mode)

·         The client is connected to an Exchange 2010 SP1 server. Confirmed on RU3 and higher.

·         The client composes an HTML message with inline JPG images.

o   The client saves the message in progress to the drafts folder

o   The client opens the message from the drafts folder and attempts to send or edit/change the message.

Workaround:

One work around is to copy the body of the saved message into a new message and send it.

An alternate workaround is to log into the mailbox from OWA and send the message.

RKeith - [MSFT]
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Update, as of 2012-04-26

This problem is still under investigation by Microsoft Exchange Support. There is no change in the confirmed symptoms, or workarounds.

Symptoms:

An Outlook client may receive an “Operation failed” error message in Outlook when the following conditions are true:
    - The client is Outlook 2007 or 2010 in online mode. (This does not reproduce in cached mode)
    - The client is connected to an Exchange 2010 SP1 server. Confirmed on RU3 and higher.
    - The client composes an HTML message with inline JPG images.
    - The client saves the message in progress to the drafts folder
    - The client opens the message from the drafts folder and attempts to send or edit/change the message.

Current FAQs:

Q:  Will upgrading to Exchange 2010 SP2 or SP2 RU1 make a difference?
    A:  No.  This issue still occurs in Exchange 2010 SP2 RU1.

Q:  Is there an ETA on a fix?
    A:  At this point it is not possible to provide a timeline.  This is a highly complex issue and our team is fully engaged on the issue.

Q:  Where is the problem?
    A:  Based on EE review, it appears the issue resides in the store process on the mailbox server.

Q:  What are the next steps?
    A:  The store process includes your database engine.  This is a complex part of Exchange and while we have identified the failure point, we have not identified the best way to resolve the issue.  Changes in store cannot be taken lightly as your data is at stake, and any changes must be carefully reviewed and tested.  If you are uncertain if the problem you are encountering matches the scenario we are currently investigating, please contact Microsoft Support to open a service request.

Workarounds:

- Copy the body of the saved message into a new message and send it
    - Switch to Cached Exchange Mode
    - Switch the message from HTML => RTF => HTML and then send it
    - An alternate workaround is to log into the mailbox from OWA and send the message.

Friday, April 06, 2012 11:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Pandino,

Update Rollup 3 was published about 2 years ago, I wondering that why didn't you install the Update Rollup 16?

Update Rollup 16: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5AD652F9-D81D-4F12-B9CA-883816806634

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hi Max,

I know but I was talking about this Exchange rollup: Update Rollup 3-v3 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (KB2529939).

Furthermore I'm using Wsus to update my servers and everything is up to date.

Best Regards,
    William

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi William,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm try to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Max / William,

We are experiencing the same issue.  We rune Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2007.  After installing Exchange 2010 SP1 update rollup 3 v3 we started getting this problem.

Our users have a signature with jpegs embedded.  If they create an email and save to draft - it fails when they later open it from drafts and click send.  Users get a message "The operation failed."  If they save a draft email without an embedded jpeg it works fine.

Max - if you can escalate this please that would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jon

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hi Jon,

I have already had this thread escalated. Please wait patiently.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Bump...

Office 2010, Exchange server (SBS2011).

Thursday, June 02, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the post and I apologize for the delay in getting back.

Based on your description:

• If a User drafts an email and adds a signature which contains a logo (jpeg) to it. He/she would get an error “The operation failed.” If they try to send that email from the drafts folder.
    • This issue is seen in using Outlook 2010 and 2007 when connecting to Exchange 2010.
    • The issue started after installing Roll-up 3 for Exchange 2010.

In Order to get a better understanding of the issue: I have couple of questions.

• How many users are reporting this issue?
    • Where is the source of this image?
    • Is this specific to that particular signature or any signature with a logo?
    • What happens if you recreate the signature?
    • Can the user delete the email from the drafts folder?
    • Once the mail is saved, what happens if the user tries sending that same email from the drafts folder in Outlook web App?
    • What happen if the user drafts an email without the signature, but adds a jpeg image to the body of the email saves it to the drafts folder, later tries to send the email?
    • If you change the location as to where the email is saved by going to File > Options > Mail > Save Messages > change it to > Sent items. Then do you see this issue?

I would request you to please reply back with the requested details so we can move ahead. In the mean time I shall try and reproduce the issue in our lab machine.

Thank you,

RKeith - [MSFT]
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved?

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, June 06, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Hi,

PLease find the answers below:

• How many users are reporting this issue?
    Each users are reporting this issue because we are using the same jpeg file as logo.

• Where is the source of this image?
    The source is on our Windows 2008R2 file server. After inserting the jpg file in the signature, I can see 2 files (images001.jpg and image002.jpg)
    on local computers in C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Signature_files

• Is this specific to that particular signature or any signature with a logo?
    I tested with another jpg file I found on Internet and there is no problem.

• What happens if you recreate the signature?
    I created a second signature with the same logo. I have the same problem.

• Can the user delete the email from the drafts folder?
    Yes, we can.

• Once the mail is saved, what happens if the user tries sending that same email from the drafts folder in Outlook web App?
    It works.

• What happen if the user drafts an email without the signature, but adds a jpeg image to the body of the email saves it to the drafts folder, later tries to send the email?
    If I do it with our logo image, I can send the email with no error.

• If you change the location as to where the email is saved by going to File > Options > Mail > Save Messages > change it to > Sent items. Then do you see this issue?
    I have the same error message.

Hope it will help you.

Best Regards,
    William

Monday, June 06, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi Max,

No, the problem is not fixed.

Thanks,
    William

Monday, June 06, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Good day,

I have the some problem...

All ms office clients in outlook 2007 do not have enable the cache mode.

When i am using Cached exchange mode it works...but this is not a solution.

please advice

Best regards 

Stelios

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply, Based on the details provided the issue occurs only when the image that is placed on the server is involved.

Could you please provide me with the step you followed to create the signature, so i can try and reproduce the same at our end.

In the mean time I would request you to please try the following steps.

1: Draft an email > save it to the drafts folder > close Outlook > Launch Outlook in safe mode using the following Switch goto > Start > Run > "Outlook /safe" without the quotes. Outlook will launch in safe mode i.e it will disable all third-party addins and applications running with it.
    Now try and send the email from the drafts folder.

3: Is it possible to keep the logo on the local machine instead of the server and check if the issue reproduces?

2: Create a new Outlook profile for a users by going to the control panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add Profile > configure the account but ensure to uncheck cache mode. > Once done Check the option to prompt for a profile.
    Now try and see is the issue reproduces in the new profile.

Do let me know the outcome so we can decide how we must move ahead.

Regards,

RKeith - [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by stelios79 Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by stelios79 Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

The step I followed to create the signature is very easy :
    I wrote First name and name, then I inserted our logo with the option "insert picture". I also wrote my email address and website. To finish I put our confidential disclaimer with 2 links (email address and website).
    If you give me your email address, I can send you my signature.

1. Sorry but it doesn't work in safe mode

3. At the beginning I copied our logo on each computer in C:\Windows but the issue was the same.
    I tested it again with no success.

2. It didn't work with the new profile

Best Regards,
    William

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hello,

At this point, I do not see any other options that can be accomplished through this forum posting.  The next steps will most likely include gathering logs, and debug data for analysis.  In order to properly track this issue and to updated you on the progress of the request, please open a support case with us. For details on doing so, please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

When you open the case, please include the URL to this thread so that the technician can be aware of the details we discussed.
    Thank you for providing all of these details.  I hope that we can find a solution for you. Once you get an answer from that case, be sure to update this thread for others to see what the outcome was.

Thank you,

RKeith - [MSFT]
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hi,

I made a lot of tests with Microsoft support and finally I still have the same problem. We decided to close the case as not resolved and they suggested me to check for any further releases of Outlook hotfixes to resolve this issue.

Best Regards,

William

Friday, July 01, 2011 4:26 PM
  • I had exactly the same issue with Exchange 2010 sp1 update rollup 4, Office 2010 32-bit on Windows 2008 x64 RDP server. One staff member would get an error sending a draft that had a signature that conatined JPEG pictures. The signature was a copy and paste of pictures and text from Word 2010 and worked for new emails. Changes where made to the email format Rich Text did not have this issue but HTML did, changing default folder from draft did not fix and neither did creating a new signature. After a number of switches between Rich Text and HTML and new signature the problem completly disappeared and has not been reproduceable.

Best Regards,

Scott

Monday, July 04, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Silicon and others:

What is the status of your problem now? Have you found any solution?

Monday, August 01, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

The status was closed and reopened. Unfortunately no solution for the moment.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:25 PM
  • We had the same problem.

I figured out the problem only occurred when when the user had an image in his signature which was pasted, from a word-document.

When the same image is inserted in the email-signature, instead of being pasted from a word-document, it seems the problem does not re-occur.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:21 PM
  • I am also experiencing this issue with Operation failed on saving drafts and even sending the drafts. Outlook 2010 64bit software, jpg signatures, Exchange 2010 on a terminal server with Win2008r2.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:21 PM
  • I only installed the Update Rollup 4V2 but always the problem.

Regarding the Rollup 5, I would like to install  an test it after my hollidays.

Thanks

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Possible workarounds are the following:

-          work in cached mode 

-          modify the signature to use no picture 

-          disabling the default signature àI chose this solution. 

The users have to manually add the signature just before sending their emails which were saved as draft.

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:52 PM
  • this is a workarround but im still waiting for sollution.

Monday, October 24, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Same problem here. Exchange 2010, Outlook 2010, terminal users, all complaining that they can't send drafts. How can this not be fixed by now? Is MS sleeping? PS: Signatures do not contain images! Only text!
    • Edited by Koen87 Monday, October 24, 2011 12:59 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 12:57 PM
  • We have the same issue here. Running two Remote Desktop Servers (Windows 2008R2 Enterprise) with Office 2010 Professional installed, patched and updated. We get the same error, "The operation failed" when trying to send emails that have been saved in drafts, our only difference is that a version of the draft is saved into drafts and then updates to the email are done by someone else and then sent back to the original author of the email who makes further changes to the draft before sending it off to clients.

I is highly annoying as before sending they get the error but then any changes that have been made to the draft email are not saved to the original version of the draft email despite this one being the one edited. They too are using signatures, one with jpegs and the other is plain text. Any further fixes for us to try????
    Regards, Glenn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Sorry but there is no fix for this issue.

Microsoft support spent a lot of time on my case but unfortunately they didn't find a solution.

Best Regards,
    William

Thursday, November 03, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Any news?
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Whats the Screen resolution Text size you are using for windows. If its large or medium change it to small and see.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution\'Make text and other items larger or smaller'  and change it to small

• Proposed as answer by SubiIT Friday, November 18, 2011 9:56 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hello, I am also experiencing the issue described in your post... however after doing lots of testing I dont believe this has anything to do with the signature... I believe that this is to do with symbol text (which you may also be using in a signature which is what confused me for a while). 

To recreate - simply create a new email (with no signature) and enter 30+ separate lines of text that comprise of symbol text.  The easiest way to do this is to click the bullets button and select 'define new bullet'.  Then select 'symbol' button and pick any you like.  Then use this bullet on 30+ separate lines.  Save the email as a draft - then open and try send - you should get the operation failed message. 

Can you let me know if this is whatt you see?

Thanks in advance. 

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Hi StevenJAtkinson,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have given it a go a few times but was not able to re-create the issue and all emails sent first time for me.

One thing is that I took suggestions from above and have got my user base (50 users) to only add the signature to the email just BEFORE sending off, this way we bypass them having to save the signature in the draft that is saved. Since starting to do this the problem has not reoccurred. A good test was the other day a user forgot to do this and saved the signature in the draft mail, she then went to try and send the mail later in the week and got the operation failed error. Though she knew straight away that the problem was that she saved the signature in the draft before sending it. So there is definitely something wrong with the signatures and saving draft emails. Lets hope Microsoft slips a fix in sometime in the near future.

Regards,

Glenn

Regards, Glenn
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Thanks for trying Glenn...

To be sure you did create an email with at least 30 lines of text using the symbol bullet and saved as a draft before you finally sent?  If so it looks like we have a slightly different issue...

The workaround that I am using is to change the mail format from HTML to Rich Text Format.  This resolves the issue.

Think I will raise this with MS as I definitly have a recreatable issue that happens everytime... i will post my findings when I have.

Regards 

Monday, November 28, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Perhaps we do have slightly different issues. We get the error randomly with no clear way of re-creating it which is a little bit annoying. Our client requires HTML formatted emails so I can't change to RTF. They seem to be quite happy at the moment inserting signatures just before sending emails which gets us around the error so no worries there. We are hoping (and praying) that Microsoft will kindly provide a fix for this in the near future.

Regards,

Glenn

Regards, Glenn
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Hi Glenn,

We are experiencing this issue also. One work around that I have been suggesting to our users is to change the email from HTML to RTF and then back to HTML. In 95% of cases, the email can then be sent. For the small number of emails that this doesn't work, the contents of the draft email are copied into a new email and then sent.

I've found that if there is an image in the body of the email, for example, a previous signature, then users will also received "the operation failed" error. Users have also had the error occur when there is a PDF attachment and no images in the email. Our signatures are automatically added by a third party product (MailPrimer) after the email is sent. We don't use signatures in Outlook.

Regards,

Nathan

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Thank you so much for this thread.  I have been encountering the same issue and it was driving me crazy.  I have a calendar appointment that was sent 3 weeks ago to 100+ people for a December holiday party.  In the body of the appointment, I included holiday-ish jpeg images.  The original appointment email sent just fine.  Then last week I needed to update the calendar entry with additional party details.  I saved the update without sending and kept the original jpeg images in the message.  When I later went back to send, I repeatedly received "the Operation failed."  After reading through this thread, I deleted the jpeg images and the message sent just fine.  You saved me from having to send a whole new calendar entry and having all 100 people ask why! 

Thank you.
    Melinda

Monday, December 05, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi Guys and Girls,

Just checking but do you use group policies to set certain Microsoft Office settings? I would like to gauge if you use these as well.

Regards,

Glenn

Regards, Glenn
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Hi Glenn,

Personnaly I don't use GPO's for Microsoft Office.

Regards,
    William

Thursday, December 08, 2011 8:22 AM
  • @ SubiIT

I thought this was too rediculous to even try... but it worked! lol Thank you very much!!! I also see the problem occuring on thinclients which can't change the text size though, so it's not a 100% solution.

• Edited by Hero IT Friday, December 09, 2011 10:38 AM
    Friday, December 09, 2011 10:33 AM
  • same problem here ! is MS coming with a solution ??

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:36 PM
  • We are having the same issue and it is related to the signature as I can recreate the issue.

The only way to get the email sent if stuck in drafts is to do the following

Open email and delete signature
    Close and save email
    Open email again and add signature and send

This only happened after I updated our exchange server 2010 to SP1   Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2010 SP1
      version 14.1.355.2

Thanks

Sohail

• Edited by sullym6 Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:14 AM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:04 AM
  • O.k I have been having a play and switching the saved draft to Rich text and back to html seems to work which is a bit easier than deleting and re adding the signature. Hopefully this issue is resolved in SP2

Thanks

Sohail

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Not sure what happened to my post

If you change the saved draft to rich text and back to html you can send the email without the error.

Sohail

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:50 AM
  • We have the same problem. Windows 2008R2 // Xenapp 6.0 RU1 // Office 2010 32bit SP1.

Still no valid solution. 

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:13 PM
  • I've switched to cached exchange mode, and that seemed to lower the frequency of this one for some of the users.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:32 AM
  • You can't use cached mode if using Remote desktop, need this fixing soon. Has anybody tried Exchange 2010 SP2?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Not entirely true.

You CAN run Outlook 2010 in cached mode on TS2008 R2. But it still not recommended.

Personally, I recommand online mode in TS environments.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:08 PM
  • I am updating my previous post to this thread with updated information.

Microsoft Exchange Support is currently working on this issue, and hopes to have a resolution soon.  The following symptoms & workarounds have been noted.

Symptoms:

·         The client is Outlook 2007 or 2010 in online mode. (This does not reproduce in cached mode)

·         The client is connected to an Exchange 2010 SP1 server. Confirmed on RU3 and higher.

·         The client composes an HTML message with inline JPG images.

o   The client saves the message in progress to the drafts folder

o   The client opens the message from the drafts folder and attempts to send or edit/change the message.

Workaround:

One work around is to copy the body of the saved message into a new message and send it.

An alternate workaround is to log into the mailbox from OWA and send the message.

RKeith - [MSFT]
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Dear Users, I also want to report that I experience problems regarding the "Operation Failed" error when sending mails. I think the reason why not everyone has problems with this error in our organization is because not everyone use the signature when replying to an mail.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Well, Ive been able to replicate the issue exactly as RKeith describes above on a Citrix Server running Outlook 2007 connected to Exchange 2010 SP1 ru6, but not consistently.

On our 2008 R2 Enterprise Terminal Server which runs Outlook 2010 RTM connected to Exchange 2010 SP1 ru6, I can't seem to replicate the issue at all.

Are there any ideas about what exactly is at fault and how soon a fix will be out?

From this thread it appears that t he issue has been noted 7 months ago without a solution in sight.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hi

I have same issue. Mail won't send when saved as a draft.

Exchange 2010 v14.2.247.5, outlook 2010 clients.

No signatures but pictures in the mail body.

Changing message format from HTML to RTF then back to HTML worked for me.

Come MS get weaving!!

• Edited by grum13 Monday, January 30, 2012 4:13 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Any updates we have removed all images from signatures but would be nice to have them back.

Sully

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:15 PM
  • did SP2 RU1 fix this ? anyone know ?

regards

richard

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:20 AM
  • I believe I'm seeing the same failure under even less restrictive conditions.

• Outlook  2010 (14.0.6112.5000)
    • Online or Offline mode
    • Composing an HTML message and pasting HTML that contains only basic style and href links (no JPG image).
      Pasting this HTML right from here, and saving as draft will crash my Outlook:  

To make schema changes to existing merge replication topologies, use the
      sp_repladdcolumn and sp_repldropcolumn stored procedures.

(sourced from the 2nd item on this page)

Tom

Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:23 PM
  • I put SP2 RU1 on last night (as well as the latest MS updates from Tue) and as far as I can tell it's not fixed the issue.

I'm still getting "operation failed" if I try and do anything with an email saved to Drafts that has logo's on.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:50 AM
  • We have exactly the same problem.

Outlook 2010 on 2 2008R2 Citrix servers and a Exchange 2010 server.

Does someone know if Microsoft is already working on this problem??

• Proposed as answer by RHess21 Friday, February 24, 2012 4:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RHess21 Friday, February 24, 2012 4:30 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:44 PM
  • I started experiencing this problem after I updated all of my user's signatures.  The old signature used GIF images for the company logos and the new one uses JPEG.  I have 2 affected customers that I'm going to change to GIF images.  I'm sure more people would be affected, but these are the 2 that consistently save e-mails to the draft folder instead of sending them immediately.

UPDATE:  Converting signature images from JPEG to BMP has resolved the issue.

• Edited by RHess21 Monday, February 27, 2012 9:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RHess21 Monday, February 27, 2012 9:15 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 4:33 PM
  • I have stated that flicking the draft email to rich text and then back to html solves the immediate issue, this is by far the quickest temp solution. Logging on via owa or copying and pasting the email both take longer to do yet my suggestion is not marked as a suggested answer.

Thanks

sohail

• Proposed as answer by sullym6 Monday, February 27, 2012 9:56 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Hi,

We experienced the same problem as you.

We have migrated from Exchange 2003 Server to Exchange 2010 and  from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. Users logon Terminal server 2003.

The Outlook 2003 Profile with settings were automaticly imported in Outlook 2007.

Outlook 2003 users had a signature including a logo in jpeg format and is being re-used in Outlook 2007. The signature was not re-created.

Everything works fine except sending email including the signature from the drafts folder.  

Today we have found a possible solution and it looks it is solved. Maybe it can solve you're problem.

The problem has to do with the jpeg file. When we go to the option in Outlook to edit the existing signature we copied the logo into Word 2007.

In Word 2007 we choosed to Compress the logo using the Compress command on the Picture  Tools -> Format tab of the Ribbon. Option E-mail (96 ppi). After compression we copied the logo back to the signature.

Then we tested to mail with the adjusted signature to send it after it was placed in the drafts folder. The error was gone. We tried this with several other users with the same problem and the problem was gone.

Sincerely,

Patrick Noorlander

• Proposed as answer by TheDean Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:00 PM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 10:07 PM
  • I'm having problems saving drafts too in Outlook 2010. But the problem comes and goes. Sometimes they save but when I'm creating important emails they don't...go figure.  I have no problems in OWA but only in the local outlook client.
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:23 PM
  • @TheNoorman: You Sir......are 100% correct!!! THANKS!!! I took your advice and compressed the logo. Worked like a champ!! You are the man!!!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:50 PM
  • I had the same issue with a client; it was an issue with the images in the signature. However I could not reproduce the issue with the same user on another machine. If I recreated the mail profile, and used the same signature that was causing the issue previously, this did resolve this issue I was experiencing.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:52 AM
  • We have the same issue, the problem also occours, if I create a new Message, wrote a lot of text, and add two .doc Attachments. After I save this message to my drafts, close and reopen it, then send this message, "Operation Failed", after that, I also can't save changes to this draft. This problem seems to appear since we changed our Exchange from 2007 to Exchange 2010 SP2. We also updated to RU1, but don't resolve this problem.

If I open the Attachement and convert it to docx, delete Attachement and add the docx I can send the message.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Has anyone some progress in this case or workarounds?
    Friday, April 06, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Update, as of 2012-04-26

This problem is still under investigation by Microsoft Exchange Support. There is no change in the confirmed symptoms, or workarounds.

Symptoms:

- The client is Outlook 2007 or 2010 in online mode. (This does not reproduce in cached mode)
    - The client is connected to an Exchange 2010 SP1 server. Confirmed on RU3 and higher.
    - The client composes an HTML message with inline JPG images.
    - The client saves the message in progress to the drafts folder
    - The client opens the message from the drafts folder and attempts to send or edit/change the message.

Current FAQs:

Q:  Will upgrading to Exchange 2010 SP2 or SP2 RU1 make a difference?
    A:  No.  This issue still occurs in Exchange 2010 SP2 RU1.

Q:  Is there an ETA on a fix?
    A:  At this point it is not possible to provide a timeline.  This is a highly complex issue and our team is fully engaged on the issue.

Q:  Where is the problem?
    A:  Based on EE review, it appears the issue resides in the store process on the mailbox server.

Q:  What are the next steps?
    A:  The store process includes your database engine.  This is a complex part of Exchange and while we have identified the failure point, we have not identified the best way to resolve the issue.  Changes in store cannot be taken lightly as your data is at stake, and any changes must be carefully reviewed and tested.  If you are uncertain if the problem you are encountering matches the scenario we are currently investigating, please contact Microsoft Support to open a service request.

Workarounds:

- Copy the body of the saved message into a new message and send it
    - Switch to Cached Exchange Mode
    - Switch the message from HTML => RTF => HTML and then send it
    - An alternate workaround is to log into the mailbox from OWA and send the message.

Friday, April 06, 2012 11:43 PM
  • I would recommend a little bit more effort by Microsoft Exchange Support.

I have a company with 120 users migrated from Groupwise to Exchange 2010. The issue is the same.

Outlook 2010 x86 on a VDI Windows 7 x86 in online mode, because we can not save the ost file on VD.

User tries to send a mail from drafts and gets the error a client operation failed. Since were using a VDI the cached mode is no option for us.

The user acceptance of the new solution is depending on the usability and is getting lower ervery day.

Workarounds will not enhance this.

Best Regards

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Today, I installed Exchange 2010 SP2 RU2, but the problem is still not solved.

The problem persists since one year, why Microsoft can't solve this???

I can't activate Cached Mode, because we have 190 Users in a Terminalserver Environment. Such a problem can't be ignored by Microsoft, because about 25% of our mail correspondence uses JPG's in their Signatures and the problem appears.

Problems can happen, Exchange is a big product, but this sould be fixed in a short time, one year is enough in my opinion.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Hi All

we have a client with the same issue, word of warning to what NOT to do

dont try dragging the the email from the Drafts folder to the inbox, I done this and all the text in the body of the email was lost, and half a days work for the user was lost.

schoolboy error on my behalf so be aware.

Friday, April 27, 2012 11:05 AM
  • We just upgraded to Exchange 2010 from 2007 a couple of weeks ago and quite  a few of our users are now getting this problem.  Switching the email format to RT and then back to HTML fixes the problem for the email, but not a proper fix.  Anyone know if Microsoft are dealing with this?
    Friday, May 04, 2012 1:54 PM
  • I support 200 users. About half experiencing on a regular basis.

Be careful with the switching to RTF and back to HTML trick. 9 times out of 10, it works, but the 10th time Outlook just crashes and the email is lost. Our policy is always Copy/Paste into a new doc and send.

Friday, May 04, 2012 2:42 PM
  • We're also having this issue. Users are connecting using Outlook 2010 to Exchange 2010 SP2. At the minute I'm unable to reproduce it however it does seem to be emails saved as drafts with 2 or more attachments that have caused the problem. I've even had 2 users report that when the error has come up after clicking ok the body of the email has been deleted with no way of getting that back.

I see that it's been mentioned the point of failure is in the store, I'm assuming this means it is an Exchange fault? I'm about to log a support ticket to Microsoft so if it's Exchange I will log it against this, else I will log it against Outlook.

Work arounds are no help after a user has lost the body of their email and they cannot be expected to perform one of those work arounds on every single email whilst we cannot reproduce the error.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 11:25 AM
  • We are also experiencing this issue, certainly doesn't look good when we insist migrations such as these go ahead then users experience issues. I'm assuming there is still no fix for this.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:14 PM
  • I'm also seeing this at the tail end of my 2007 to 2010 migration. With only 2 of 10 locations left to upgrade, it's rather frustating and costly for my users to loose valuable time on lost work. We're using Exchange 2010 SP2 RU2.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:52 PM
  • We are also seeing this issue (Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2010).  In addition to this, we see another problem (possibly related?) which is also, from what I can gather, awaiting a hotfix - when our users attempt to forward on emails saved as .msg files, the body of the saved message completely disappears.  We use a document management system for storing legal documents that stores emails in .msg format, so this is cropping up multiple times a day for our users.  Both of these issues have put our users completely off the migration from Exchange 2003 to 2010.  In all honesty, having seen how long this particular issue has been ongoing, I don't blame them...
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Same problem here

Please Microsoft workers, hotfix for this issue. 1 year already! how long more we have to wait?

C'mon.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:53 AM
  • @MRussellPW

Off topic but is the DMS that you use from Autonomy?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:58 AM
  • @nathdakiwi - No, it's not from Autonomy.

Regarding this issue - we ~may~ have a possible solution.  The second problem I listed (forwarding on .msg files) seems to have been resolved by installing SP3 for Office 2007.  Since making this change, we've not seen the problem appear, neither have we seen the first problem (forwarding on saved drafts containing embedded jpeg logos) being reported since we installed SP3.  I'll keep my eye on it for the next couple of weeks and report back.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:33 AM
  • All, I logged this with Microsoft - they have found the bug and are working on a patch.  Current very tentative target is Exchange SP2 RU5 which will hopefully ship by the end of the year.
    Friday, May 25, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Good to know Steven, thanks.

Out of interest, are you able to reproduce the 'Operation Failed' message? If so how?

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Good to know Steven, thanks.

Out of interest, are you able to reproduce the 'Operation Failed' message? If so how?

Indeed I can - see my post above on the 24th Nov 2011...

Regards

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Ah yes, thanks. I'll give that a go later on. Thanks
    Friday, May 25, 2012 8:57 AM
  • The problem seems to be caused by a certain format of .JPG image in the sender's signature. The original .JPG image in the signature is re-rendered by Outlook when the message has been sent. This causes some images to become blurry. This blurry image, however, solves the whole problem.

The issue is solved by doing the following;

1. Send an e-mail to anyone and ask the receiver to reply it to you
    2. Copy-Paste the signature image from the received e-mail into your signature (use it as your new signature). The image is somewhat blurry, but mostly not noticable.
    3. Problem solved (on my PC).

I hope it works for you.

Kind regards,

Hein-Jan

Friday, June 01, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Thanks for the update StevenJAtkinson. Nice to see that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I wonder how had it would have been for Microsoft to post this update i.e. "We've found the bug......."

Monday, June 04, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Hi guys,

Some of our corporate clients in Canberra are reporting similar issues too. We are working with Exchange 2010 SP2 and Outlook 2010. Are you able to provide a timeframe of when this issue will be addressed, by hotfix or in the next rollup update.

Thanks

Nick Forshteyn

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:04 AM
  • I had another ticket open with Microsoft yesterday and they confirmed they are still working on a fix.  Using Cached Mode fixes the issue, but this isn't always an option.

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:28 PM
  • I've just spoken to another of our users this morning who had it happen again. I'm logging this to Microsoft though we don't have support on Outlook and doesn't look as though there is a category that it fits in to in the Exchange options...

BTW: Steven, I wasn't able to recreate the problem using your above method, thanks though. Still unable to recreate at will unfortunately!

Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:07 AM
  • I have discovered using a public part of our company web server to store the image in the signature file makes this problem occurrence, but if you right click on the signature- you are mostly able to change it to the same signature (witch off cause is automatically updated daily) you are able to send the message though you are on the track as this works for plain text messages, it will not work for more complex... this problem is only annoying about 50 of the must hardcore users... but there Microsoft confidence is at a absolute low point regarding this, as they use this function to reply with standard pre-formatted mails....

hope the input can make this issue be resolved quickly

johan seider

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Has anyone tried TheNorman's fix (above) of rebuilding the signature logo?

"In Word 2007 we choosed to Compress the logo using the Compress command on the Picture  Tools -> Format tab of the Ribbon. Option E-mail (96 ppi). After compression we copied the logo back to the signature."

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Hi ctircuit,

Has your solution fixed the problem?

Monday, September 03, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Unfortunately this wouldn't work for us. We don't use images in our signatures and what we've found is that any images in the body/chain of the email will cause this problem to occur. It wouldn't be feasible for our users to compress every image in the email.
    Monday, September 03, 2012 10:24 AM
  • I've used TheNorman's fix and it has worked for me every time!
    Friday, September 21, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Will this be solved in upcoming Exchange 2010 SP2 Update Rollup 5 ???
    Monday, October 01, 2012 9:06 AM
  • We have this same issue, but do not use jpeg in our signature, however it happens whenever there are attachments to the email in DRAFT.
    Friday, October 05, 2012 7:53 PM
  • we have the same troubles with our users and after a quick search, i found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2763886/en-us The proplem is when you wanted to get the "hotfix download"... the first joke... Cannot get it online by this way (i can understand) you have to contact the MS support (as at Cisco or Oracle). So, at this point, why don't make this call... and then... 2nd joke. i had explain to the support that i wanted to have this hotfix but that i wasn't able to get it from the Net, so i call them to get it ... blabla... And the answer was... if you want to get this hotfix, you must provide the N° of this hotfix, not the N° of the article that relate the hotfix... So if i understood the demand, i have to tell to microsoft that i have a problem with an MS product and that Microsoft knows about this bug, correct this bug but if i want it, i have to play hide and seek with my friend "Google" to find the hotfix number so i can get this hotfix... As i am French, i think that i don't have the smartness required to communicate with these MS support... So if someone can't check this link above, maybe it could help all of us... Thanks, Regards, Majid
    Monday, October 08, 2012 12:33 PM
  • When clicking the link I get this: 

Hotfix Request

The KB article has no public hotfixes. Please contact support if you need immediate assistance.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Why would you have a page that says Hot Fix Available and a Download button and then not provide it???  Oh, you must be microsoft

Monday, October 08, 2012 12:41 PM
  • As others have, I suggest adding the signature via Exchange after the email's sent. There's software for it too, if you're not happy with a transport rule.

Exchange signature software

No doubt there will be a rollup with a fix soon so we can all look back on this and laugh.

Monday, October 08, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Thanks for the link Majid.

I've requested the hotfix via our SA Agreement. I will respond if it does indeed fix the problem.

Barbara, the reason some hotfixes aren't available generally are because they're written to fix problems that may only exist in certain IT setups. Depending on what changes the hotfix makes it could potentially cause other issues, by making it private a Microsoft employee will speak to you to ensure it is the right fix for the problem you're having.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:05 AM
  • ...Why would you have a page that says Hot Fix Available and a Download button and then not provide it???  Oh, you must be microsoft!........

Then just don't provide a "Download button", just say what you want to say instead:

The KB article has no public hotfixes. Please contact support if you need immediate assistance.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Was my point, I get the hotfix reasoning, just say it!

Monday, October 15, 2012 6:20 PM
  • I have contacted Microsoft on this case, they say engineer provide a wrong information on that link.

They said there is no hotfix on this KB (but just verbally and not commit to send me an email on this!)

Anyone have a solution on this other than the workaround listed in kb?

Please help!

Thanks.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:03 AM
  • I have contacted Microsoft on this case, they say engineer provide a wrong information on that link.

They said there is no hotfix on this KB (but just verbally and not commit to send me an email on this!)

Anyone have a solution on this other than the workaround listed in kb?

Please help!

Thanks.

I received yesterday a non public hotfix from Microsoft. They said to me that the fix will be avaible in the next rollup.

This afternoon i will install the hotfix at a customers site to see if it helps!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Hi Arno,

Would you mind to share the hotfix to me?

As Microsoft HK Customer service said there is no hotfix on this issue.

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:43 AM
  • Jack,

Can you give me your mail adress, you can mail me also; arnorommens@hotmail.com

I don't know if I may share the hotfix from Microsoft because it is an non public hotfix! I can bring you in contact with my technical contact from Microsoft...

Arno

Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi Arno,

I have sent an email to to you.

Please check.

Jack

Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:37 AM
  • To bad, the fix is not working for me. I will go back to Microsoft for a new case.

We choose for the time being for a workaround with a tool like exclaimer.

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hi there !

Is it possible to recieve the link for the hotfix ?

I'll try it ... and see if it works for us.

A lot of our customers complains about that problem ...

By mail ... gueuzav (at) hotmail . fr

Thank you for your help,

Xavier.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Hi @all,

since yesterday Microsoft released "Update Rollup 5 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719800/en-us

One of the resolved issues is: 

"The operation failed" error in the Outlook client when you open a saved message from the Drafts folder and then try to send it in an Exchange Server 2010 environment

I hope this will fix our Problem.

HTH
    Sascha

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Thanks for your information Sascha!

I will install this update and see if it resolve our problem

Jack

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hi @all,

since yesterday Microsoft released "Update Rollup 5 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719800/en-us

One of the resolved issues is: 

"The operation failed" error in the Outlook client when you open a saved message from the Drafts folder and then try to send it in an Exchange Server 2010 environment

I hope this will fix our Problem.

HTH
    Sascha

Unfortunately, the link is no longer work and seems M$ has re-mediate the patch.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 7:42 AM
  • And now? We're still facing the same problem. Very frustrating for some of our users. :) Hope MS will bring out a solution asap!
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Have Microsoft pulled this update?

The links no longer work for the rollup and all the KB article links fail also.

We have the this issue alot as all our users work in on-line mode.

We also have other issues with drafts in that any updates to emails are not saved or the user is not prompted to save changes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

J

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Verison 2 of the update is now available.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36017

Jason

Friday, December 14, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Verison 2 of the update is now available.

Jason

• Proposed as answer by skumar1 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:18 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I just had this happen to a user. I had her remove the recipient from the draft and try to re-send the email just to make sure she got a different error message, she did. She then put the recipient back in and hit send and the message sent without a problem. She had said this is the second time in a few weeks and doesn't happen every time.
    Friday, February 01, 2013 6:52 PM
  • So far so good after installing Exchange 2010 SP2 Rollup 5v2.

• Proposed as answer by ctircuit Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:56 PM
    • Edited by ctircuit Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:55 PM
  • I've encountered the "Cannot send this item" and "The operation failed" errors with both Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 with Exchange 2007 server when forwarding emails which contain normal attachments (usually PDFs or Office 2010 files like docx and xlsx) as well as an embedded logo image in the signature.

Given an email that exhibits these errors while forwarding, doing the following in Outlook /safe mode will consistently reproduce the errors:

1. Double-click on the original problematic email to open it first
    2. Click “Forward”
    3. Save it while in edit mode via Ctrl-S
    4. Make more changes to the email
    5. Click “Send” and you should see the “Cannot send this item” error
    6. Dismiss the error message by clicking on “OK”
    7. Click on the upper right corner “X” to close the email
    8. Outlook will prompt if you want to save the changes
    9. Click “Yes” and you should see the “The operation failed” error

Assuming it caused by the same Exchange 2010 glitch, I don't suppose there's a similar rollup update for Exchange 2007?

For those who have already applied the 2010 update, if you happen to have a similar problematic email which used to throw these errors when being forwarded, perhaps you can try the above steps to see if the errors are still reproducible.

Edit:

I just realized that this is also reproducible in Outlook 2007 with a simple POP3 account - i.e. this is not an Exchange-specific problem?

• Edited by jarrodwee Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:31 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Hi, we have exchange 2010 and the 5 V2 rollup and now the 6 rollup and still have users regularly reporting the same issue. Error sending or saving after opening a draft, "item cannot be sent" or "error occurred" when trying to save.

Regards

• Edited by austuff Friday, April 05, 2013 1:01 AM
    Friday, April 05, 2013 12:56 AM
  • I spoke too soon.  The incidents have decreased, but it still happens to random users about once a month.  This is the number of times it is reported, mind, so actual occurences may be higher.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:52 PM
  • This is still happening.

Exchange 2010 version 14.01.0438.000 - Outlook 2013

Saturday, February 01, 2014 1:07 AM
  • Dude, you're still on SP1, you really need to upgrade. SP3 is out already.

Regards, Glenn

Saturday, February 01, 2014 1:36 AM