none
Unable to read file when opening an Excel file (and more error messages).

Question

• Hello,

I am getting a few error messages when trying to open an excel file with Excel 2007, the file is protected by password and has pivot tables in it:

1. At first when opening the file it says "Unable to read file.", i press ok and it asks for the password, after the password i get the same error message and then it asks for the password again.
    2. After entering the second password i get another message saying "Excel found unreadable content in 'Book1.xls'. Do you want to recover the content of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, Click Yes.".
    3. After i click yes i get a report of the repairs, all regarding the pivot tables: "PivotTable report 'Pivot Table X' on '[Book1.xls]XX' was discarded due to integrity problems.".

Any ideas if this is only due to file corruption or has it something to do with a certain excel bug, missing a hotfix maybe. The file itself is on a network drive and i'm not the only one working on it, that's why i'm suspecting corruption.

Appreciate any help ;-)

O.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:

• The workbook contains a PivotTable that uses key performance indicators (KPIs).
    • The KPIs are created in the Analysis Services Business Intelligence Development Studio.
    • One or more of the KPIs have an expression in the Current Time Member property

To resolve this issue, remove the expressions from all Current Time Member properties.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Hi Jennifer, thanks for your reply.

I have spoken to the creator of the original Excel file and she says she has no idea what KPIs are. She also mentioned that some of the data in the files is created from Oracle and then the user creates the pivot tables.

There is an article regarding the first error message of "Unable to read file." which refers to password protected excel files with pivot tables in them however the hotfix offered there is only for Excel 2002 product: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=819853. Could this be the case also? and is there anything regarding that first error message for Excel 2007?

Thanks again,

O.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

I'm bumping this thread once in hope to get more ideas on what is causing this issue and how to resolve it.

All help is appreciated, thanks.

O.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:12 PM