none
How to import a pst file

Answers

• If you are having trouble importing the PST, why don't you try adding it as a Outlook Data File?

Click on File > Open and select Open Outlook Data File.  Navigate to where it is stored on your PC and click on OK accept any defaults.

It will appear on your Navigation Pane as a Personal Folder.  This method allows you to see all of the folders and their contents and you can drag and drop these folders into your main Outlook folders.

This is of course assuming that your PST is not corrupt in anyway....

• Marked as answer by Harry YuanModerator Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Crakdkorn Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crakdkorn Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• If you are having trouble importing the PST, why don't you try adding it as a Outlook Data File?

Click on File > Open and select Open Outlook Data File.  Navigate to where it is stored on your PC and click on OK accept any defaults.

It will appear on your Navigation Pane as a Personal Folder.  This method allows you to see all of the folders and their contents and you can drag and drop these folders into your main Outlook folders.

This is of course assuming that your PST is not corrupt in anyway....

• Marked as answer by Harry YuanModerator Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Crakdkorn Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crakdkorn Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Apparently it made its own directory and did not import it into my own profile.  Now I have two inboxes.    Sorry, I am always disappointed with upgrades.  They never work right.  It imported just not the way I would have expected.  One inbox is really all I need.  But RDuffy, you are definitely correct about the drag and drop.  I can move the email from the "second" inbox by dragging it to the other one.  Good tip.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Cheers Crakdkorn,

Adding a PST is not the same as importing it, but it is useful if importing is slow and unsuccesful.

This method allows you to check the structure of the PST and move over the content on an as needs basis.  Also, if you are running in an Exchange environment with mailbox size limits, leaving it as a PST gets arounds this as it does not contribute to your overall mailbox size.  However, that said, PST's are not considered as a long term reliable solution for storing of emails in a corporate environment.

• Proposed as answer by VBAToolsMVP Friday, April 05, 2013 11:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:04 AM
  • You want to import PST files in outlook then you need to a third party utility which perform this work for you. I am also suffering how to import PST files in Outlook and my friend john suggest me SysTools ADDPST software which is really a easy and effectively tool to import multiple PST files in Outlook Quickly. 
    Friday, April 05, 2013 10:07 AM
  • If you have problem to attach file PST as Richard wrote, that's mean that you should add full rights in file preferences (admin rights is needed).

Your old profile is lock to use to another one.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Friday, April 05, 2013 11:51 AM