none
Multiple Selection in drop down list in Excel 2007

Question

• Hi All,

Can any body tell me please how do we set Multiple selection option in drop-down list in Microsoft Office Excel 2007. Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards Badal Ratra
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

I’m sorry, but as far as I know, there is no way to put a multiple selection in a drop down list.
    But I can show you how to create a multiple selection in a scroll list, hope it still helpful.

Switch to the Developer tab. (If the Developer tab is not available, go to Option->Popular->Top options for working with Excel->Show Developer tab in the Ribbon)
    Turn on Design Mode by clicking on the Design Mode button(located at Controls ribbon).
    Click on Insert button, in the drop down list select the List Box(ActiveX Control), draw the box wherever you want.
    Right click on it, and select Properties.

In the Properties make the following changes:
    ListFillRange=’Sheet1’!A1:A5 (A1:A5 is just for example, please fill it with your own range)
    MutiSelect=fmMutiSelectMuti
    ListStyle=fmListStyleOption

There you go.

Please take your time to try the suggestion and let me know the result at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

I’m sorry, but as far as I know, there is no way to put a multiple selection in a drop down list.
    But I can show you how to create a multiple selection in a scroll list, hope it still helpful.

Switch to the Developer tab. (If the Developer tab is not available, go to Option->Popular->Top options for working with Excel->Show Developer tab in the Ribbon)
    Turn on Design Mode by clicking on the Design Mode button(located at Controls ribbon).
    Click on Insert button, in the drop down list select the List Box(ActiveX Control), draw the box wherever you want.
    Right click on it, and select Properties.

In the Properties make the following changes:
    ListFillRange=’Sheet1’!A1:A5 (A1:A5 is just for example, please fill it with your own range)
    MutiSelect=fmMutiSelectMuti
    ListStyle=fmListStyleOption

There you go.

Please take your time to try the suggestion and let me know the result at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Max,

I have the same idea as Badal but a little different.

I have a list of names (~600) and I need to have the ability for multiple selection but I also would like the added effect that the user can type in part of the name and it populate the list form the matching text that was entered. Similar to the combo box ActiveX. I was think that if there was some way to use the list that is generated by the ctrl+f "find all" then that really would be usefully. I don't know if recording a macro will tell me where ctrl+f stores the list temporarily or not, that is the next thing I plan to try. Why I want to use the ctrl+f is due to that some of the names that will be needed to be selected will have the same part of text just in different spots in the names. Some will be at the start, or the middle, or the end, or somewhere else.

Ex.

BOB_MN_0
    BOB_MX_0
    BOB_MN_1
    BOB_MX_1
    BOB_MN_2
    BOB_MX_2

I want the list to allow the user to type MX and show this list

BOB_MX_0
    BOB_MX_1
    BOB_MX_2

and permit them to select all that apply. (Say 0 and 2 but not 1)

Any thoughts? 

Thank you,
    -Mark

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Hello Max,

Even i am also facing the same problem like Badal Ratra.

I have tried with the solution you have suggested like ListFillRange=’Sheet1’!A1:A5 (A1:A5 is just for example, please fill it with your own range), MutiSelect=fmMutiSelectMuti, ListStyle=fmListStyleOption.

But I now I want to display the selected items in the excel as there is only one option left with the linked cell.

When I tried to link cell with the range Sheet1’!B1:B5 it is not displaying with the items selected in the dropdown.

Hope you got my problem and would be great if you provide any solution for the same.

Regards,

srikanth

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

I tried this and the list box is created. However how do you get the selections made from the list box to be displayed in one of the cells on the worksheet.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:53 AM